Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
650 - Anymore glare issues? battery life?

I'm considering getting the 650 and was wondering if the issue with glare/reflection still exist as with previous touch models from Sony? I'm guessing it doesn't since the touch layer is gone and is replaced by some infared censors around the edge of the screen.

I'm very interested to hear if their is any problems with reflection on the new screen. Seeing myself while I'm reading would be a BIG distraction!

Also, how does the battery life compared to older models? Does the infared censors increase the need for repeated charging? Are they constantly drawing power?

I've also read that some people have had success using a micro-usb wall charger to charge the 650. Is their voltage limits to these micro-usb chargers or do they all provide the same voltage? If there is a voltage limitation, does anyone know what the correct voltage would be?

Last edited by MerLock; 09-22-2010 at 03:25 PM.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->iOS/L2
Glare is exactly the same as the glare of the 505.

Battery life is great as far as I can tell, but I haven't had it long enough to run out.

I use a micro-usb wall charger that came with my LG phone that is rated at 5.1V. I believe that the 650 is technically 5.2V rated.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
StanByk
Connoisseur
StanByk began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
The screen is great. It has non of the glare/reflection issues that the PRS600 and PRS700 had. As you mentioned yourself it doesn't use the extra layer.
Also, in comparison to my 505 the the screen has a lot more contrast. The font is a lot darker than on my 505.

Don't know about the USB charges, but would like to know the answer myself.
StanByk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
USB chargers/sockets are supposed to provide 5v ±5% = 4.75-5.25v and this is a standard... if the voltage is not in this range then it isn't in the USB spec. From many reports around here, it seems as tho' there is considerable variance in actual USB PSUs working. Check what others and try out any you've got. they'll either work or not but if genuine USB PSU then even if not working, they can't do any damage...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
I've also read that some people have had success using a micro-usb wall charger to charge the 650. Is their voltage limits to these micro-usb chargers or do they all provide the same voltage? If there is a voltage limitation, does anyone know what the correct voltage would be?
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Battery life seems to be on par with the 505. I haven't had my 650 plugged in since Saturday, and after 4 days and ~900 page flips + screwing around with the notes and handwriting I'm down to 3 of 4 bars.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #6
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I've got a 350, whic I've read on for close to 10 hours and the batttery still shows as full. I'd have my Nook plugged in by now. I have plugged the 350 into my computer briefly to try out new fonts, so that probably topped it off some.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #7
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for all the answers. I'm glad to hear that the touch screen hasn't put a big strain on the battery.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:43 PM   #8
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Just a little more data -- I just charged my 350 after 9 days. The battery indicator had just gone to 1 bar. Since it is new, I was playing with it a lot instead of just reading. So, two weeks is probably not out of the question if your simply reading.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:11 AM   #9
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
How is the build? Is it aluminum like the 505 and 600, or is it, as I've heard, merely aluminized plastic?

I was showing off my 505 in the airport - one guy had an iPad and one had a nook, and the poor guy's nook was already falling apart while my old 505 still looks nearly new, even after having been dropped several times.

I don't think I want a plastic ereader - I'm thinking of upgrading to the 650 as I would like a better screen than the 505, but I'm willing to pay for quality.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by khalleron View Post
How is the build? Is it aluminum like the 505 and 600, or is it, as I've heard, merely aluminized plastic?

I was showing off my 505 in the airport - one guy had an iPad and one had a nook, and the poor guy's nook was already falling apart while my old 505 still looks nearly new, even after having been dropped several times.

I don't think I want a plastic ereader - I'm thinking of upgrading to the 650 as I would like a better screen than the 505, but I'm willing to pay for quality.
The build of my 350 is not quite a nice as the 505 or the 600, but the case is still aluminum, though there is some plastic in places. I just have a sense that the layer of metal is thinner than before, and the stylus is all plastic, where the 600 had a heavy metal stylus. Nevertheless, I do not feel that it is any more delicate, just lighter weight, which makes it easier to hold. My battery lasted for ten days of heavy reading ( I used it to the point where the "low battery" warning came on). Overall, I feel that the new models are a huge improvement from before.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #11
mrdee0
mrdee0 began at the beginning.

Device: mrdee0
Mine arrived today and is a lot less glary than previous model. Im quite impressed with page turns too-very fast.
mrdee0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:10 PM   #12
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I've disassembled my 650. The front part and spine is thin (~1mm) stamped steel. The back cover is rubberized plastic. The inner frame is thick cast iron, to which almost everything else is fastened with screws.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
khalleron
Kate
khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.khalleron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7 2013, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I've disassembled my 650. The front part and spine is thin (~1mm) stamped steel. The back cover is rubberized plastic. The inner frame is thick cast iron, to which almost everything else is fastened with screws.

Thanks for the info, igorsk.

So, while probably not as sturdy as the 505 or 600, would you say that it's still sturdier than anything else on the market currently?

I may go ahead and get one for myself for my birthday, while keeping my 505 as backup in case of accidents.
khalleron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:32 PM   #14
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I think so. I accidentally dropped my 350 on the asphalt into a puddle during the rain today. No issues. The only terror I had was when I took it out and saw that the stylus had popped out. But it fit back in, and there was nary a scratch or hiccup.

I had to drop my 505 about 20x before I cracked my first substrate, so I don't feel all that terrified about bringing it with me. The 350's also been in my gear bag and probably thrown around and squished at least half a dozen times this week.

Last edited by jaxx6166; 09-29-2010 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Disclaimer: It was in the soft case with the cover.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:52 PM   #15
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Igorsk,

Are you planning to post pictures of the disassemble as you have in the past? I, for one, would be very interested is seeing them if you have the time and inclination to do so.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags