Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-08-2015, 10:11 PM   #1
Carlcath
Carlcath began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle for PC
Ratings from one library will not transfer to new

I have calibre on a 11 inch portable and a desktop. I want to add some of the books from the portable Calibre library to the desktop Calibre library and keep the rating I have given them. Neither the rating nor the series will transfer when I use the 'add Books' button.
Under 'edit metadata' the rating block is checked.
Under Preferences > Import/Export > Adding books. There are no options to control metadata being downloaded.
I am using version 2.18 on both devices.
What am I doing wrong?
Carlcath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:40 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Metadata is not embedded within the library copies of a book, unless you use Embed Metadata or Polish Books. Metadata is however embedded within the book when you export it using Save to disk or Send to device.

A separate problem is that MOBI/AZW3 does not support arbitrary metadata types, though EPUB does -- I am guessing since have listed Kindle for PC as your device, that you are using MOBI/AZW3?

Use the second option in the dropdown under Add books, in order to import books together with the metadata.opf, which contains all of calibre's metadata.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calibre-add-books.png
Views:	155
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	134645  
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:13 AM   #3
Carlcath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Metadata is not embedded within the library copies of a book, unless you use Embed Metadata or Polish Books. Metadata is however embedded within the book when you export it using Save to disk or Send to device.

A separate problem is that MOBI/AZW3 does not support arbitrary metadata types, though EPUB does -- I am guessing since have listed Kindle for PC as your device, that you are using MOBI/AZW3?

Use the second option in the dropdown under Add books, in order to import books together with the metadata.opf, which contains all of calibre's metadata.
Got it, thanks for the reply. Guess I better break out the manual and read it again. I downloaded the program several years ago, entered some books and started reading. With only one library it was not an issue. Now with books on two computers I guess I need to be smarter. Thanks for the help. Carl
Old 02-09-2015, 12:39 AM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you just need to keep two computers in sync, you can use Dropbox (see my sig) -- the important thing to keep in mind is, NEVER let Dropbox sync while calibre is open (they will fight it out to determine who owns the files) and always sync both before and after using calibre (to prevent editing-on-both-computers clashes ).

Or use Bittorrent Sync to create a slave copy on another computer -- the master computer will overwrite all changes on the second computer.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:01 AM   #5
Carlcath

If I sync a library that adds a book, Calibre would not recognize it. Right? Doesn't the book have to be added by Calibre, not just added to the Library.

I was thinking about using a briefcase to sync the libraries. I may create a couple of small libraries and try it to see what happens.

Thanks again
Old 02-09-2015, 01:33 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

The database that tracks the library files is inside the library folder it is designed to be portable.
Old 02-09-2015, 10:59 AM   #7
Carlcath

I was not able to get Calibre to create a library in a Win 7 briefcase so it could sync with one on the laptop.

Since my goal was to have all my books on the desktop and only have 25 or so on the laptop the simple thing is going to be to just manually copy the books between the desktop and laptop when I want to. If really necessary, I could copy the main library to a flash drive and transfer that way.

I just thought there was a easier way to do this. I really did not want to use Dropbox.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #8
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Dropbox is pretty easy. So is Bittorrent Sync.

I am unfamiliar with Windows Briefcase, so I have no idea why it wouldn't work. Still, any bog-standard file/folder syncing solution should work?
Old 02-09-2015, 12:14 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Dropbox is pretty easy. So is Bittorrent Sync.

I am unfamiliar with Windows Briefcase, so I have no idea why it wouldn't work. Still, any bog-standard file/folder syncing solution should work?
IIRC Briefcase goes back to W95 (never used it:BC. 95,95c: h yes)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 12:20 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I do believe that Briefcase is on the way out within Windows.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
libraary management, rating, rating transfer