Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 04-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
AThirstyMind
A Thirsty Mind
AThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with othersAThirstyMind plays well with others

Device: Kindle Fire, iPad, iPhone
I never get this weird extraneous html code...but then I'm using Word 2003, very carefully crafted stylesheets, stripping out all the Styles I won't need (such as Strong and others) in the Import/Export Styles feature, and making sure the defaults are set before saving as a webpage-filtered. Works pretty seamlessly every time...just a few bits of tweaking to the html in a text editor (find/replace clear=all if you've manually added page breaks in the Word doc...and border=0 if you've added images...usually the only two things I have to edit). Everything does what I want it to.
AThirstyMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:47 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
2. That particular div looks superfluous, especially with a height of 0 em and nothing inside. If a div has nothing inside, assume it's cruft and delete.
That can be a dangeous assumption. An "empty div":

Code:
<div></div>
is one method of generating a blank line. Not a particularly good method, because not all Mobi implementations will respect it (a Kindle does, but Kindle for PC does not), but nonetheless a commonly-seen one.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #18
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That can be a dangeous assumption. An "empty div" is one method of generating a blank line. Not a particularly good method, because not all Mobi implementations will respect it (a Kindle does, but Kindle for PC does not), but nonetheless a commonly-seen one.
Thank you for that tidbit! Now I won't scratch my head wondering where the empty line came from (in some future book)
Though <div height="0em"></div> specially says 'no blank line'.

In Word I am pretty helpless, and to tell the truth have never much needed it. I get my material mostly from mobiunpack, so I can confess having seen some number of various coding. Now at last I've reached a bit farther than absolute beginner level and am interested in reducing filesize and removing needless stuff.
Colors I like and want will not get rid of.

I understand that <a href..> or <a filepos...> are important anchors, but what meaning can <a></a> have?

Now I'm little more confident to chop into those html-s...
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:06 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by travger View Post
Thank you for that tidbit! Now I won't scratch my head wondering where the empty line came from (in some future book)
Though <div height="0em"></div> specially says 'no blank line'.
No, you misunderstand. The "height=" parameter controls the spacing between paragraphs (specifically, the spacing between the current paragraph and the one above it). Setting "height=0" means "leave no space between this paragraph and the one above".

However, the "div" itself is a paragraph, and the "<div></div>" will create (on most Mobi devices, at least) a blank line. "<div></div>" is pretty much the same as "<br/>".

I'd suggest taking a look at the Mobi developer documentation. It explains how all this kind of thing works.

Hope that's of some help to you.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-19-2012 at 03:53 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote