Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-08-2011, 06:13 PM   #1
Nalj
Nalj began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo touch
Cannot detect external SD card

Hello folks,

I'm having trouble with my Kobo Touch detecting my external SD card. Namely, it just won't detect! I can upload books from Calibre into my SD card just fine and it exists there (I double checked using Finder) and when I eject, unplug, etc no books are detected at all! I have tried putting the books into my main memory instead and the Kobo detects that no problem but once I move those books over to my external... NO LUCK!!! I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong. I have tried restarting, factory reset, etc but it's just not working out. Any ideas would be appreciated!

Running Kobo 1.9.9.
Nalj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:21 PM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Is there anything unusual about the books you are putting on your micro-SD card? The only problem I had with my SD card is that the Touch would not recognize a 47MB book on the card but would recognize it if was added to the main storage. Have you tried adding books directly to your SD card without using Calibre?
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:16 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
What format is the SD card ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 10:39 PM   #4
Nalj

@Joe563 - All the books are in ePub format, none over 5 MB tops. I have tried just copying the files from my main Calibre Library folder on my hard drive and pasting them into the SD card. It worked on previous occasions but now it has mysteriously stopped working.

@PeterT - My SD card is in MS-DOS (FAT) format. Does this make a difference?

Thanks for all the ideas so far, appreciate it!
Old 08-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried FAT32 as opposed to FAT ?
Old 08-08-2011, 10:58 PM   #6
Nalj

@PeterT - Is there an option to format to FAT32 using DIsk Utility on a Mac?
Thanks for your help so far!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
Nalj

@PeterT: Been researching it, FAT32 is the same as MS-DOS (FAT) on Mac :S
Old 08-09-2011, 10:31 AM   #8
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

Yep I found the same... sorry bout that!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:08 PM   #9
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I wonder if it is a problem with the microSD card?

My suggestion would be try a different card (if you have one). If the second card doesn't work it would make me think that maybe it is the ereader itself.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:45 PM   #10
TedJ
Groupie
TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.TedJ has not lost his or her sense of wonder.

Device: Kobo Touch
Some devices can be very fussy about how a memory card is formatted. I've found that the SD card formatting utility supplied by Panasonic can get these cards working.

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/c...oad/index.html
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 01:43 AM   #11
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
I had a similar problem. People here helped me find a solution.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...139074&page=2I
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
Nalj

I wish calibre and kobo would just play nice and do what I want it to
Old 08-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #13
p_a_smith
Me, Myself, but not I
p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.p_a_smith ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Acer 200, Asus FHD, Kobo Touch
I used Calibre to manage my sideloaded books with my original Kobo but haven't used it at all with my Kobo Touch because of the "Factory reset" problems that some people have reported.
p_a_smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 02:44 AM   #14
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by p_a_smith View Post
I used Calibre to manage my sideloaded books with my original Kobo but haven't used it at all with my Kobo Touch because of the "Factory reset" problems that some people have reported.
That is looking to me like it is more of a problem with behavior of new operating systems and filesystems, as much as Calibre. The problem seems to be that the Kobo is unplugged from a PC before all files have been closed on the Kobo's flash drive.

For people using Linux I know that this is more likely to be a problem now because the new filesystem (ext4) does not guarantee that all data is written to disk within 5 seconds like ext3 did.

I don't use Windows 7, but I wonder if the same is similar there.

It will be great to hear if a strict practice of ensure a clean unmount of the Kobo fixes this problem.
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:18 AM   #15
Nalj

Well I decided to try something new. I popped in a different MicroSD card into my Kobo then tried dragging and dropping books into it straight from my Finder folder instead of using Calibre. I kept getting a pop up saying the card was full (no way, it's a 2GB card and I only have about 300 books all under 5 MB) so I had to drag and drop small batches of files in each time. This worked. So now I'm going to experiment doing the same with my original 1GB card to see if there was any luck. I'll report back.