Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-04-2011, 12:42 AM   #1
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Google Allows Carriers to Selectively Block Tethering Apps From Android Market

An editorial:

Quote:
It seems a few American carriers have started working with Google to disable access to tethering apps in the Android Market in recent weeks, ostensibly because they make it easier for users to circumvent the official tethering capabilities offered on many recent smartphones — capabilities that carry a plan surcharge. Sure, it’s a shame that they’re doing it, but from Verizon’s perspective, it’s all about protecting revenue — business as usual. It’s Google’s role in this soap opera that’s a cause for greater concern.
http://thisismynext.com/2011/05/02/v...fcc-violation/

RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
Unlike jailed iPads, Android apps not being (or blocked) in the Market does not prevent them from being installed; unless, of course you have a non-rooted AT&T.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #3
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodin View Post
Unlike jailed iPads, Android apps not being (or blocked) in the Market does not prevent them from being installed; unless, of course you have a non-rooted AT&T.
Which means the next logical step is for more carriers to start restricting where you can install your apps from.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:27 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
When data plans are unlimited, charging extra for tethering is justified. But when data is a fixed amount, it's robbery to charge for tethering.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #5
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
When data plans are unlimited, charging extra for tethering is justified. But when data is a fixed amount, it's robbery to charge for tethering.

Which is why Verizon provides free Mobile Hot Spot, and Sprint charges for it.

Sprint's data plan is unlimited, and Verizon's is fixed. That being said, my VZW plan on my SGT is 3 GB/month and my Sprint Plan on my HTC EVO 4G is unlimited. I have yet to exceed 1 GB on either. But then I don't stream movies either.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Which is why Verizon provides free Mobile Hot Spot, and Sprint charges for it.

Sprint's data plan is unlimited, and Verizon's is fixed. That being said, my VZW plan on my SGT is 3 GB/month and my Sprint Plan on my HTC EVO 4G is unlimited. I have yet to exceed 1 GB on either. But then I don't stream movies either.
Every provided calls their plans unlimited save ATT, but every provider has a limit--see their fine print.

Last I checked Verizon charged for Hot Spot, since when did they stop charging--that would be very uncharacteristic of Verizon?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[EDIT] Okay I just re-read your post your mixing plans. Cell companies do not charge the same rates for Data only devices as they do for phone/data devices.

The price of Tethering/Hot Spots is built into dedicated data devices where it is an extra feature for phone/data devices. That is why it's an extra feature for your EVO and not for your Samsung.

As far as I know T-Mobile is the only cell company that does not charge for Hot Spot/Tethering on their phones. They call their plan unlimited but like every other provided they cap you[*] out at 5GB.

=X=
[*] Every cell company has a different way of handling the 5GB limit if it is reached.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
wodin
Illiterate

Yes, your right =X=, but the Sprint plan is truly unlimited for the EVO 4G, and I believe other 4G phones. The caveat is that there is a $10 surcharge for 4G phones. Mobil HotSpot is another $30/month, I turned that off when I got my SGT. Since Sprint does not yet have a 4G tablet, I'm sure the pricing will be tweaked when the HTC Flyer (EVO View) is released this summer.

The EVO 4G is so battery intensive when 4G is turned on that unless you have a charger handy it's largely useless, and Mobil HotSpot is an added drain. If you plan to do much tethering in 4G mode, you might just as well plug it in to a USB port and use USB tethering (free) just to keep the battery charged.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:06 PM   #8
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
iPod touch 4 = WiFi only = free data

Nook Color = WiFi only = free data
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:16 PM   #9
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Every provided calls their plans unlimited save ATT, but every provider has a limit--see their fine print.

Last I checked Verizon charged for Hot Spot, since when did they stop charging--that would be very uncharacteristic of Verizon?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

[EDIT] Okay I just re-read your post your mixing plans. Cell companies do not charge the same rates for Data only devices as they do for phone/data devices.

The price of Tethering/Hot Spots is built into dedicated data devices where it is an extra feature for phone/data devices. That is why it's an extra feature for your EVO and not for your Samsung.

As far as I know T-Mobile is the only cell company that does not charge for Hot Spot/Tethering on their phones. They call their plan unlimited but like every other provided they cap you[*] out at 5GB.

=X=
[*] Every cell company has a different way of handling the 5GB limit if it is reached.

=X=
Verizon had a special deal with the Palm Pre where you would get free hotspot support up to so many GB. I'm not sure if they did that with any other phones.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, your right =X=, but the Sprint plan is truly unlimited for the EVO 4G, and I believe other 4G phones. The caveat is that there is a $10 surcharge for 4G phones.
Yes, just a clarification though, it's only unlimited for the 4G bandwidth. In areas where there is no 4G the cap for 4G phones still exists.

The $10 surcharge was a hard pill for me to swallow and the reason why I went with T-Mobile over them Having to pay $10 for each 4G phone in an area that did not have 4G was just not something I could not overlook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Verizon had a special deal with the Palm Pre where you would get free hotspot support up to so many GB. I'm not sure if they did that with any other phones.
That was only for the Palm, simply because that was the only way they could move that product. No other phone has been offered with that promotion.

=X=
Old 05-12-2011, 01:56 PM   #11
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Yes, just a clarification though, it's only unlimited for the 4G bandwidth. In areas where there is no 4G the cap for 4G phones still exists.
Sprint CS told me that they don't differentiate between 3G and 4G data, only that if the phone is 4G capable it ten bucks per month more. Of course CS has been known to spread BS before, so take it for what it’s worth.

Quote:
The $10 surcharge was a hard pill for me to swallow and the reason why I went with T-Mobile over them Having to pay $10 for each 4G phone in an area that did not have 4G was just not something I could not overlook.
=X=
Yes, especially since 4G is such a battery drain that I only use it for huge D/Ls, like 100 MByte+ firmware upgrades, etc. But since it IS available on the Beautiful Sandwich Isles, the bitter pill isn’t quite as big.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Sprint CS told me that they don't differentiate between 3G and 4G data, only that if the phone is 4G capable it ten bucks per month more. Of course CS has been known to spread BS before, so take it for what it’s worth.
For phones 3G & 4G are true unlimited (except for roaming of course). For mobile broadband, like the U600 usb modem, it's unlimited 4G and 3G is 5GB.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 02:16 PM   #13
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Wodin .... never believe what the CS people or sales reps tell you, look at the contract. Unless Sprint changed it's policy from last year they do differentiate from 1G/2G/3G from 4G.

It sounds like your safe though and if you are going to do some heavy downloaded you will want to use 4G anyway.

The sales rep told me that we would for sure have 4G in my city by Dec of last year... still no 4G .

=X=
Old 05-13-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
No; the reason for it is that if you have tethering, you're far more likely to use your allowance than if you don't. Eg, my Vodafone contract on my iPhone gives me 1GB of data per month. I never come close to it, despite using my phone pretty much all day for Internet access; my typical usage is perhaps 200-300MB in a month. If I had tethering (for which I'd have to pay £5/month more) I'm certain that I would use all my data allowance every month.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:05 PM   #15
wodin
Illiterate

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No; the reason for it is that if you have tethering, you're far more likely to use your allowance than if you don't. Eg, my Vodafone contract on my iPhone gives me 1GB of data per month. I never come close to it, despite using my phone pretty much all day for Internet access; my typical usage is perhaps 200-300MB in a month. If I had tethering (for which I'd have to pay £5/month more) I'm certain that I would use all my data allowance every month.
But having paid for 1 GB/month, it is completely justifiable to USE 1 GB/month for whatever you want to use it for. In all fairness, excess data should be able to be rolled over, but that is not the case either, at least not on any plans that I have.

Would any other utility, e.g. power companies be allowed to charge for unused capacity?

Last edited by wodin; 05-13-2011 at 05:08 PM.