Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-17-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
Stacey34
Connoisseur
Stacey34 doesn't litterStacey34 doesn't litter

Device: Sony 505 (Red)
Ok, I checked out the Clevnet site and I even called them. I do need to go into one of their participating libraries to register. Since they are not close to where I live she told me about Mid-Ohio Library Digital Initiative. One of the participating libraries is much closer. Their downloading format is PDF using Adobe Digital Editions. I just want to make sure this will work with my 505 before making the trip there to get a library card.
Thanks (again) for all the help!
Stacey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 01:52 PM   #17
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
ADE works OK for me, but go trawl for a free download in ADE, just to see if it works for you. Try Fictionwise (secure Adobe format).
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 03:01 PM   #18
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacey34 View Post
Ok, I checked out the Clevnet site and I even called them. I do need to go into one of their participating libraries to register. Since they are not close to where I live she told me about Mid-Ohio Library Digital Initiative. One of the participating libraries is much closer. Their downloading format is PDF using Adobe Digital Editions. I just want to make sure this will work with my 505 before making the trip there to get a library card.
Thanks (again) for all the help!
Yes it will work; that's what I'm using and I check out ebooks for my Sony all the time!

Check out their website and make sure you like their book selections. My parents have a vacation home in Miami and Miami Dade library offer ebooks; I had plan to pick up a library card next time I was in Miami, but when I checked out their website for my interest, I did not like their book selection!

Last edited by Lilly; 02-17-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:09 PM   #19
Stacey34
Connoisseur

I have been researching this most of the day. I just read where Clevnet started last month actually having books in the Epub format. Isn't that the format that Sony uses for their readers?
Old 02-17-2009, 03:18 PM   #20
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Quote:
I have been researching this most of the day. I just read where Clevnet started last month actually having books in the Epub format. Isn't that the format that Sony uses for their readers?
Sony PRS-505 read 3 DRM format (LRF - that's Sony proprietary from their bookstore, ePud, and Adobe PDF).
Advert
Old 02-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #21
Stacey34
Connoisseur

Thanks Lilly!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:29 PM   #22
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
Sony PRS-505 read 3 DRM format (LRF - that's Sony proprietary from their bookstore, ePud, and Adobe PDF).
Just to avoid confusion, Sony's DRM format is LRX. The non-DRM format is LRF.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:34 PM   #23
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by grooks View Post
Just to avoid confusion, Sony's DRM format is LRX. The non-DRM format is LRF.
Thanks; I always get them confuse since I'm a big Calibre user and hardly shop at the Sony store.
But they're the same Stacey34, LRF & LRX, both are Sony proprietary. The difference is one has DRM and one is non-DRM.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:49 PM   #24
Stacey34
Connoisseur

Please excuse my ignorance but what is DRM? Is it good or bad? lol
I just want to be able to read on my 505 without alot of problems getting the books on there. I know by going to Sony I'll be fine but I would love to take advantage of some of these free downloads from libraries.
Thank you!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #25
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
I just want to be able to read on my 505 without alot of problems getting the books on there. I know by going to Sony I'll be fine but I would love to take advantage of some of these free downloads from libraries.
Thank you!
The smart-alecky answer is: Don't worry, you'll know it when you encournter it.

The real answer is "digital rights management," or something close to that. It means that the distributor put a restriction on the book you buy or borrow. It registers the book to your specific e-reader and, sometimes, even puts a shelf life on it (like milk expiration date). I've not tried any libraries, but from what I understand, they have the expiration dates and become unreadable on your device. I've made the mistake of buying books twice and having them expire before I ever got around to them. (Shady, fly-by-night non-US booksellers who probably only wanted my credit card number.)
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 03:57 PM   #26
CribQuilter
Enthusiast
CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CribQuilter has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
COngrats on your new reader. I love mine. I too just finished "The Surgeon" by Tess Gerritsen. I enjoyed it as well. I am fixing to start reading one of the 16 free harlequinn romance books I downloaded. I only have 34 more free books to read before I can start buying books. I am trying to recoop my $300 investment by reading 50 free books valued at about $6 a pop.

You will so enjoy your reader. It is so nice to not have to haul around a big book anymore. And I get extra pleasure when I tell curious people I have over 150 book on my little book
CribQuilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #27
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Congrats on the new reader!

As far as mysteries go, I think I'd recommend the Agatha Raisin books by M C Beaton. If you want a pigeon-hole description I'd class them as quirky British cosies. But that really doesn't do them any justice whatsoever. Most of them aren't available as ebooks, which is a shame, but some are.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 04:01 PM   #28
Stacey34
Connoisseur

I had a guy I work with today say but don't you miss actually holding that book in your hands? Don't you miss the smell of that leather bound book?
I looked him right in the eye and said NOPE I don't miss it at all.
I am so bad! lol
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #29
Lilly
Guru

Quote:
Thank you!
It's means copy protection. DRM stands for 'digital rights management', and is a technology used by eBooks, eBooks stores, record labels, and online music stores to limit what you can and can't do with the stuff you buy from them. For example, Sony & Amazon uses DRM called 'Fair Play' that rather unfairly only lets you read ebooks from their stores only in their devices and they go a step further, only on the device that is registered on your account. You can't read them on any other device, unless you use a 3rd party program to strip the DRM; but not all formats are stripable (none of the ones used on the Sony reader are breakable as of now). Another example, I have a Sony PRS-505 and you have a PRS-505 and you buy a book from Sony, eventhough my reader reads LRX also, it won't read the book you bought for your Sony unless we are registered under the same account. DRM is how they are able to do that!
Old 02-17-2009, 04:19 PM   #30
Stacey34
Connoisseur

Gotcha!
Thanks