Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
extendedping
Enthusiast
extendedping began at the beginning.

Device: none
a few sony pocket reader questions.

1) can you really place the device in your pocket? I know I could technically get even a kindle 2 in my pocket but no way you could actually walk around with it like that as a pocketable reader....but is the "pocket" reader really pocketable?

2) does it have table of contents enabled for pdf? I can't believe that my kindle dx does not have that and whatever I buy will have to have that for certain.

3) can I read my oreilly books on it? I know I can't read many of my kindle books but it can read the epub that I see I have available to me in my online oreilly collection...right?

4) I only have an ubuntu computer...is it a real pain, do I need some windows software to put book on it? or can I just drag and drop like I do the .mobi books I have from oreilly on my kindle (yea I know I'd not be dragging and dropping the .mobi, perhaps pdf or epub).

5) can I click and zoom on the code (or whatever it is called) like I can on the kindle and kindle dx to expand code in technical books? I know its is a stretch reading the zoomed code on the kindle 2 (even can be hard on the dx) and if I did not have that ability on the smaller 5 inch, It would not even make sense to try to read the oreilly books I own.

6) finally does anyone here own the device? how does the screen (things like readability outside) compare to the kindle. how different is a 5 inch screen vs a 6 inch like on the kindle 2. Is it in reality a massive difference once you actually use the device?

thanks very much for listening. I think I need 2 ereaders...one big (like the dx) and one really portable like the sony...I just don't know if reading is actually feasible on a device that size...

thanks again for listening....
extendedping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:39 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
1. Depends on the size of your pocket. It's a 5" device with minimal extra area outside the screen, compared to the 6" Kindle with keyboard. It fits into the front or rear pockets of my Levis (it's almost exactly the size of the rear pocket). I don't know if I'd call it comfortable, but it certainly fits.

2. Not sure. I wasn't impressed with its PDF reading capability. But then I don't believe PDF is a valid ebook format, so I don't use it. If something is only available in PDF, I do my best to convert it to something more readable. I realize this isn't always possible for technical material, but I don't use my reader for that.

3. Depends on the format and DRM. For example, if they use PDF or EPUB with Adobe's ADEPT DRM, the device will read them. Note, however, that there's a long-standing bug when you have different DRMed formats on the device at the same time.

4. Get Calibre. It will do everything you need except register for DRM. On a Windows machine you need Adobe Digital Editions or the Sony app for that. I'm not sure what you'd do on Linux. But Calibre will happily sync files for you.

5. I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. The Sony has 3 levels of text sizes, if that's what you mean. It can also do some zooming on PDFs. Otherwise, the answer is probably "no"?

6. I've not used a Kindle, so I can't give a comparison other than that they both use the exact same e-ink technology, and at 5" the Sony screen has a higher pixel-per-inch density.

For comparison, my other device (and main reader) is an iPhone and I mostly read linear fiction/non-fiction. I really like my iPhone, and only picked up the Sony on a whim because I got a good deal at Woot. For me, having a backlight is a major requirement, and I find reading on the LCD screen of my iPhone comfortable enough. I realize others are the opposite -- they can't comfortable read on an LCD and don't mind the lack of backlight on e-ink devices.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 04:42 AM   #3
BooksOnBowser
Enthusiast
BooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it isBooksOnBowser knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Libra h2o
Hi entendedping, I own the Sony Pocket Edition and have just got a Nook so can compare the two side by side as it where.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
1) can you really place the device in your pocket? I know I could technically get even a kindle 2 in my pocket but no way you could actually walk around with it like that as a pocketable reader....but is the "pocket" reader really pocketable?
As long as it's not in a case, it can slip mine into my back jeans pocket. I have the slip case it came with and one with a light that sony sells, with either of these it becomes a little too big to fit in a pocket, although with the slip case it can just about fit in a suit jacket pocket.
I suppose if you wear those kind of Berghaus/Regatta jackets it will fit easily.

Quote:
2) does it have table of contents enabled for pdf? I can't believe that my kindle dx does not have that and whatever I buy will have to have that for certain.
PDF is an achilles heal of the Sony, I had bought a number of books in PDF before I got the reader and the rendering is mainly shocking. I tend to read in 'Medium' size which mucks up tables. Many PDF ebooks I have are actually just the print file and include the little page guides so the image is tiny.

Quote:
) can I read my oreilly books on it? I know I can't read many of my kindle books but it can read the epub that I see I have available to me in my online oreilly collection...right?
Sony supports EPUB which is it's de facto now, assuming the books are either DRM free, or DRM's with Adobe Digital Editions you can view them. I'm not familiar with the online oreilly stuff.. sorry

Quote:
) I only have an ubuntu computer...is it a real pain, do I need some windows software to put book on it? or can I just drag and drop like I do the .mobi books I have from oreilly on my kindle (yea I know I'd not be dragging and dropping the .mobi, perhaps pdf or epub).
Drag and drop works fine except for Adobe Digital Editions which have a special folder and require you to authorise your machine. Not sure about ADE on Linux, some guy across at BeBook has got it working using Crossover Professional. YMMV.

Quote:
) can I click and zoom on the code (or whatever it is called) like I can on the kindle and kindle dx to expand code in technical books? I know its is a stretch reading the zoomed code on the kindle 2 (even can be hard on the dx) and if I did not have that ability on the smaller 5 inch, It would not even make sense to try to read the oreilly books I own.
The PRS300 has three Zoom levels with a dedicated button on the front for that.

Quote:
) finally does anyone here own the device? how does the screen (things like readability outside) compare to the kindle. how different is a 5 inch screen vs a 6 inch like on the kindle 2. Is it in reality a massive difference once you actually use the device?

thanks very much for listening. I think I need 2 ereaders...one big (like the dx) and one really portable like the sony...I just don't know if reading is actually feasible on a device that size...

thanks again for listening....
I love my Pocket Edition, it just feels quality in the hand, the screen is great, the battery lasts for ages and I can pop it in my pocket.

Having experienced the larger screen of the nook (although I find it a bit more reflective than the Sony) I can see the benefit, plus the nook has 5 levels of zoom. I tend to change the pages quickly on the Sony, as there is less text obviously on each screen.

The Sony is a quality bit of kit, but the features list is basic. If you can get both do, although I think for the technical documents you will struggle.

Just my thoughts
BooksOnBowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:23 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One significant issue with the Sony is that it has a very old implementation of the ADE software, which is used to display ePub and PDF files. The most important result of this is that all ePub books are displayed left-justified, which personally I don't like.

I you're looking for a 5" device, personally I'd suggest looking at either the Pocketbook 360 or the Bookeen CyBook Opus; they are both significantly more capable.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:00 PM   #5
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
I also have a PRS-300.

- Fitting in my pocket was my reason for buying it versus a 6 inch reader. I've had it in short pockets and even jeans pockets (very snug, but will fit). Fits best in loose pants / shorts, as you would expect. Definitely portable.

- I am also an Ubuntu user, and use Calibre to transfer files. There's no need to use the SONY software at all.

- The screen looks very good, imo. In these forums, there's even a hack available to add a clock to the screen and allow for different fonts to be used on EPUB's.

I can't really speak about PDF or DRM, as I use it mainly for non-DRM'd EPUB's with very little graphics in them. I have tried comic books on them converted via Calibre, and it's readable, just barely. I assume DRM is not something you are concerned about, if you are an Ubuntu user. If you do need it, you can also try running a Windows VM to deal with all things DRM.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 10:14 AM   #6
extendedping
Enthusiast
extendedping began at the beginning.

Device: none
thanks everyone, still undecided here. btw when I was talking about "code" earlier I meant tables, you on the kindle can click on a table and it expands it (to the best of its ability) and I was wondering if the pocket reader can do that...
extendedping is offline   Reply With Quote