Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-13-2011, 01:31 PM   #31
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
And that case is now still ongoing but I think it will be rather more difficult to treat software and eBooks the same... we won't know until someone cares to challenge a publisher in court...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 02:02 PM   #32
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
What's newsworthy about this thread?
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-13-2011, 03:01 PM   #33
NVash
Wandering Vagabond
NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NVash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch
Isnt Amazon working on something so people can lend out books for the Kindle? Thatd be great, I recently got one and would love to lend some out to friends. However theyd come with a time limit and truthfully I dont see the point in that. When a book comes with a time limit it can be more of a pain than anything else. Im reminded of one time I got a book from the library. Actually, many times I got books I got too busy to finish them. Very seldom do I go back and purchase them, they usually just get tossed on my 'To Read' list and forgotten about. I dont know about anyone else but I have quite a large list of books I intend to read someday. Finding its way back on there, half read or not, is a bad thing. Whether I got halfway finished or not doesnt matter because by the time I get it Ill have to start all over again.

Which poses a question. Saying they actually allow book lending how would they do it if its so flawed with a time limit? Just lend it to them and it be like their own copy? Thatd be great BUT what of the 'lost' purchase? They could send it from the original persons Kindle and transfer it to the new one but surely someone would see this 'lending' as a free give away and a 'lost sale'. I doubt theyd ever allow such a thing.
NVash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:16 PM   #34
Belle2Be
Peace, Love, and Books
Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Belle2Be ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3(3g), NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVash View Post
Isnt Amazon working on something so people can lend out books for the Kindle? Thatd be great, I recently got one and would love to lend some out to friends. However theyd come with a time limit and truthfully I dont see the point in that. When a book comes with a time limit it can be more of a pain than anything else. Im reminded of one time I got a book from the library. Actually, many times I got books I got too busy to finish them. Very seldom do I go back and purchase them, they usually just get tossed on my 'To Read' list and forgotten about. I dont know about anyone else but I have quite a large list of books I intend to read someday. Finding its way back on there, half read or not, is a bad thing. Whether I got halfway finished or not doesn't matter because by the time I get it Ill have to start all over again.

Which poses a question. Saying they actually allow book lending how would they do it if its so flawed with a time limit? Just lend it to them and it be like their own copy? That'd be great BUT what of the 'lost' purchase? They could send it from the original persons Kindle and transfer it to the new one but surely someone would see this 'lending' as a free give away and a 'lost sale'. I doubt they'd ever allow such a thing.
They do allow lending now, same rules as libraries and the nook, 2 weeks, only loanable once(nook, not library),and loan-ability depends on the publisher.

ETA the book is unreadable by the original owner (assuming the wifi is turned on) during the 2 weeks, and it disappears from the lendee's Kindle( again, assuming the wifi is turned on). It can be kept for longer if the person just keeps their Kindle wifi off until they are done with the book. It's not known yet if the file "self destructs".

Last edited by Belle2Be; 01-13-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Belle2Be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 02:21 PM   #35
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
What's newsworthy about this thread?
It's important because we are entering a new era in reading where eBooks we buy are no longer our property in the way paper books are our property - if we go by what Amazon and others are trying to implement.

I believe there is a fundamental difference between software and eBooks. Software is written to produce an action or a product. Continued use produces continued product or continued action. eBooks do not do such a thing and are simply passive texts.

The soon a definitive consideration is issued by the courts the better.

On the other hand whatever the courts say this is never ever going to go the way of the publishers. If the courts decide lease then piracy is going to skyrocket and torrent sites along with them. People, imho, have no intention of standing by and allowing this kind of appalling rip off.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2011, 05:36 AM   #36
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saoir View Post
It's important ...
Thanks, I understand your point and sorry if my post was ambiguous. My comment was intended to be a query relating to the choice of thread, News rather than, say, General Discussions.

stustaff's original post didn't seem to be news; I was just puzzled about why some threads get moved, and not others. I'm still comparatively new around here and trying to get my head around some of the forum rules. Two Moderators added comments, without deeming the thread to be misplaced, and Daithi's reference in Post #30 was news, albeit 4-months old, so perhaps my comment was completely inappropriate, or out of order. Sorry, no offence intended.

Quote:
It's important ... The soon a definitive consideration is issued by the courts the better ...
I agree it's important, but by definition it's also complex - not just limited to a single country and its laws, or even to a group of countries and their laws. I am assuming that the global use of e-books and readers is going to continue increasing.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:57 PM   #37
saoir
Groupie
saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.saoir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Thanks, I understand your point and sorry if my post was ambiguous. My comment was intended to be a query relating to the choice of thread, News rather than, say, General Discussions.
I actually agree with you on that.
saoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 05:41 PM   #38
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
My opinion on eBook lending is summarized in this wonderful essay by John Sullivan titled "Lending: A solved problem".

Quote:
I actually agree with you on that.
Thirded. I found it odd that this thread was in News.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 03:04 AM   #39
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaime_Astorga View Post
My opinion on eBook lending is summarized in this wonderful essay by John Sullivan titled "Lending: A solved problem" ...
Excellent; thanks for the link.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:18 AM   #40
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Moderator Notice
We've moved this to the "General Discussions" forum. It's really not "News".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote