Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 06-03-2008, 08:02 PM   #1
gravescp
gravescp is on a distinguished road

Device: iphone
Do e-ink devices "burn-in"

It was a problem with old tv, video games, and some early computer monitors/screens. Can e-ink devices get a 'burned in' image if they are left on with one screen for a extended period of time?
gravescp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #2
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
No. You may notice an occasional ghosting, but this always goes away after a few refreshes. True burn-in is only a potential problem with displays that use phosphors (CRTs and Plasmas).

As a sidenote, there's no way to actually turn one of these screens "off". EInk is bistable... it requires no power except when refreshing... so even when there appears to be nothing on the screen you're still staring at an "image" (a blank one).

Last edited by Dylrob; 06-03-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-04-2008, 08:39 AM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I see not problem with my 1 year old PRS 500. I use it every day for at least 1 hour, usually more.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #4
gravescp
gravescp is on a distinguished road

Device: iphone
Thanks, thats what I thought
gravescp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I've had my Sony 505 since early January and have used it a lot with no evidence of burn in or even ghosting.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #6
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I've had my Sony 505 since early January and have used it a lot with no evidence of burn in or even ghosting.
The older version of the screens, such as what my PRS500 uses, were apparently much more prone to ghosting than the newer "Vizplex" ones they have now. (I say apparently since I haven't personally seen one of the newer screens in RL)
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
The Skwerl
Super Skwerl
The Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litterThe Skwerl doesn't litter

Device: Sony 500
Yeah I get a little ghosting but after a couple of minutes I dont really notice anymore and it barely last to long really. I run with a prs-500. I like my little reader.
The Skwerl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
My eyes start to ghost over after reading 4-5 hours straight
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 08:25 PM   #9
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
I've noticed the ghosting on my Kindle. Glad to know it's a normal sort of thing and not a problem.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2008, 11:21 AM   #10
astrodad
Guru
astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astrodad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad, iPhone
No ghosting whatsoever on my PRS-505. I bought it in January and I read at least an hour a day, peaking at six hours once during a travel delay.
astrodad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 10:38 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyMaveety View Post
I've noticed the ghosting on my Kindle. Glad to know it's a normal sort of thing and not a problem.
From what we've read, the early Kindles may have been produced with the 1st generation eink screens before Vizplex. I've not yet seen any Vizplex that ghosts. So it's possible you might have a 1st gen eink screen which usually does have some sort of ghosting.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 03:22 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
From what we've read, the early Kindles may have been produced with the 1st generation eink screens before Vizplex. I've not yet seen any Vizplex that ghosts. So it's possible you might have a 1st gen eink screen which usually does have some sort of ghosting.
No, this is utterly false. All Kindles have a VizPlex screen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 11:36 AM   #13
brandoniain
brandoniain began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-700
As a matter of record, my Sony PRS-700 does exhibit issues of ghosting from time to time. I've only had it a week now, but after a charge session there is a slight ghosting of the charging screen - but this goes away after I turn the reader on (i.e. refresh to the home screen.)

It's a little disconcerting at first, but as others have said, these type of screens don't burn-in, so it's not really anything to worry about.
brandoniain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:27 PM   #14
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, this is utterly false. All Kindles have a VizPlex screen.
and i had a kindle 2 months ago, still had the ghosting of the last page, though it wasnt nearly as bad as the 500,

my 700 has no ghosting at all except what brandoniain said. it doesnt care about ghosting when its off. but when its on, there is no ghosting... EVEN!, while fast scrolling pages without the refresh or zoom scrolling a page. the black refresh only seems to Define the sub pixel dithering to give txt that sub pixel clear type effect. though the black flash is so fast on the 700 that it takes longer for my eyes to get to the top of the page

Last edited by Andybaby; 12-29-2008 at 10:31 PM.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 10:35 PM   #15
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
The only time I have a real problem with ghosting is when it gets really cold. It goes away when it warms up though.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote