Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for February's discussion?
Portrait of Jennie by Robert Nathan 13 20.63%
Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov 14 22.22%
Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy 5 7.94%
The Greatest Knight by Elizabeth Chadwick 8 12.70%
Shards of Honor by Lois McMaster Bujold 10 15.87%
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon 14 22.22%
Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen 10 15.87%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 24 38.10%
Love Story by Erich Segal 11 17.46%
Stardust by Neil Gaiman 22 34.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #31
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
*sigh*

Stardust in the lead. Oh well.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
*sigh*

Stardust in the lead. Oh well.
Too bad it's not Shards of Honor because for those that would enjoy it and have not read the series would then have a number of books to read from there. Whereas Stardust is it. When you are done, you have to go find something else to read instead of moving on two book two because you bought the two-in-one version to read Shards of Honor.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 06:41 PM   #33
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Portrait of Jennie seems to me to have the greatest potential to be stimulating reading. The idea of two people separated by time but connected by their love of the same painting has possibilities.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 PM   #34
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
If you are reading Stardust, I would recommend the illustrated version. I think the art by Charles Vess is gorgeous.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Charles_Vess_Stardust.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	207.2 KB
ID:	99918Click image for larger version

Name:	6a00d8345161d869e200e54f2119378834-800wi.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	585.0 KB
ID:	99917
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 06:53 PM   #35
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
If you are reading Stardust, I would recommend the illustrated version. I think the art by Charles Vess is gorgeous.

Attachment 99918Attachment 99917
Would you happen to have a link, please?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2013, 07:12 PM   #36
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
I agree that most of these aren't "Romance" in the normal genre sense. I don't mind that; romance characters and tropes can be off-putting to people outside the genre, and there's no shortage of good discussion of the genre itself at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. As a long-time avid romance reader, I'm plenty happy for February's selection to be "books with strong romantic elements" rather than "books that almost everyone agrees belong on the /romance/ shelf." I would rather romance got some indirect attention than that the genre was excluded entirely because most people here don't care for it.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Would you happen to have a link, please?
Amazon
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:30 PM   #38
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tilia View Post
Thanks. I saw that one, but couldn't tell if the Kindle version was the same.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #39
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
I agree that most of these aren't "Romance" in the normal genre sense. I don't mind that; romance characters and tropes can be off-putting to people outside the genre, and there's no shortage of good discussion of the genre itself at Smart Bitches, Trashy Books. As a long-time avid romance reader, I'm plenty happy for February's selection to be "books with strong romantic elements" rather than "books that almost everyone agrees belong on the /romance/ shelf." I would rather romance got some indirect attention than that the genre was excluded entirely because most people here don't care for it.
I wish those who know and love romance novels would suggest some books which are solid fits. What are must reads in the genre?

I get the impression that there's an element of shame or embarrassment about romance books that doesn't apply to crime or sci-fi or westerns or what have you, which doesn't seem just. I assume as with any genre category, there are the well-written books and then there's the typical dreck (which can be entertaining enough, not judging). Is it because women are the target audience, as opposed to other genres which appeal either partially or mostly to men?
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:04 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I wish those who know and love romance novels would suggest some books which are solid fits. What are must reads in the genre?

I get the impression that there's an element of shame or embarrassment about romance books that doesn't apply to crime or sci-fi or westerns or what have you, which doesn't seem just. I assume as with any genre category, there are the well-written books and then there's the typical dreck (which can be entertaining enough, not judging). Is it because women are the target audience, as opposed to other genres which appeal either partially or mostly to men?
For me, it's not shame or embarrassment. It's that I don't like the way "true romance" is written. It just doesn't appeal to me. I don't care for it. Now there may be some "true romance" that I might like. But the problem is wading through the ones I would not like to try to find those. Some of the ones we have nominated here, I would not read if they won and others I would.

Sometimes it's just the way romance novels are described. Makes them sound awful. Maybe whoever writes the descriptions should try to tailor them for people who may not be a fan of romance novels.

Five of the books we are voting on, I will not read or reread. Outlander I've read and it was awful. Lolita is a book about pedophilia and I will not debase myself by reading it. The other three I won't read because they sound awful.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:37 PM   #41
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm not depressed that my nomination isn't getting that much of the vote. I actually thought later that Water for Elephants probably wasn't a really great fit for this genre.

Happy to see A Town Like Alice moving up though and as much as I think Lolita is a strange pick for the category, I'd also be happy with having a crack at it for the book club read.

I'm a bit surprised at the lack of movement for Shards of Honor. I thought it would attract the sci-fi vote.

And although I didn't vote for Stardust, it's actually my favourite Gaiman book. I have multiple copies of the physical book at home including one signed by Gaiman himself. It's just that I was hoping for something else to read and discuss for the Romance category.

But I think I'm secretly (now not so secretly) hoping that Love Story or Portrait of Jenny gets up there. They seem to fit the category a bit better than most and neither are particularly huge books to invest time in if you're not a huge fan of romance novels.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:01 AM   #42
Dee Q
Born Yesterday
Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dee Q ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 2 & 4
Three more days to go and I've actually started reading Stardust.
Dee Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 05:20 AM   #43
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I've put myself on the waitlist for Stardust, and I'm pretty sure I'll read it if it wins. A Town Like Alice I will probably read either way. Lolita... doubt I'll ever read it, but never say never...(after all, it is considered a classic) On second thought: I do say "never" to Outlander. It's on my "Book they would have to pay LOADS of money for me to read".
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:51 AM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
I'm glad Lois McMaster Bujold 's Shards of Honor isn't in the lead, and I was wrong to give a third to its nomination. It's science-fiction, not romance, and doesn't belong on the list. Stardust by Neil Gaiman is fantasy, and likewise has no business being on the list. Both of these are simply stealth candidates whose only reason for running is to circumvent the romance category.

And that's my opinion.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #45
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I actually think Stardust sounds to be reasonably close to romance. Fantasy romance means you can put a lot of romance of different kinds in there. I don't know why that would be any less "romance" than for example Outlander (historic fiction with an element of fantasy). But since romance really isn't my "thing" I admit my ideas are pretty vague...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote