Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Dumb Question About Rooting the Nook Tablet

I'm generally pretty knowledgeable about the nook units, but I've never had the opportunity to root anything in my life, so if you wouldn't mind answering this simple and probably stupid question...

I'm thinking about getting my wife a tablet for Christmas, but I have a feeling she'll be disappointed with the app selection right now on there. I'd like to add the full android marketplace, but being a present, I don't want it to have that cobbled together, raw feel that so many software fixes do. She's not patient with any sort of hiccups or steps. She just expects things to work.

So if I root this with a microSD card and install the Android marketplace, what exactly will this do to the nook? Will it look and operate the same, only with an extra icon for the droid marketplace? Will it ever crash the device?

And finally, is it easy enough to do that someone like me with no programming experience can do it? I hear you just put the card in and restart the nook. Sounds easy enough but I just want to make sure the interface will still look and move smoothly like the normal nook Tablet.
MV64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:24 PM   #2
mohawk
Enthusiast
mohawk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet, Tried the Fire, Currently, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
I have no experience with rooting as well. Never even owned a smart phone. I followed a link and was able to enable third party downloads to the Nook Tab and now I have the entire Amazon App store, the Kindle book app and store and various android market sites on my Nook Tab. when I turn the unit on, I'm greeted with a screen that queries which home page I want to use. The B&N home page or the GO Launcher home page. Tapping on the Go Launcher brings up all the apps I've installed. Every one works perfect. The machine is still stock and there is no rooting involved.

Hope this helps.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-05-2011, 05:46 PM   #3
MV64
Addict
MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MV64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It does, thanks. I think she can handle picking which home page she wants to use!
Old 12-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #4
sjkevin
Connoisseur
sjkevin is on a distinguished road

Device: nook
My main concern with the Nook Tablet is that the rooting method might be something which B&N could block in a future update.

(This is not the case with the Nook Color; they can't do anything to prevent that rooting method.)
sjkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 09:54 PM   #5
mohawk
Enthusiast
mohawk began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Tablet, Tried the Fire, Currently, Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus
Thanks for adding that little piece of relavent doubt.
mohawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2011, 12:13 PM   #6
MV64
Addict

Does that refer to the microSD card route for rooting?
Old 12-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #7
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkevin View Post
My main concern with the Nook Tablet is that the rooting method might be something which B&N could block in a future update.

(This is not the case with the Nook Color; they can't do anything to prevent that rooting method.)
That's a valid concern.

@MV64

Even though I returned mine, I followed mohawk's advice, and 99% of the apps I tried, worked without any issues. Kindle app worked most of the time but have a few books that did not open, no idea why.

Side-loading apps is a nice option, because you respect the firmware and no need to root. It's a different and nice workaround, in my opinion.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote