Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #1
SleepyBob
Evangelist
SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SleepyBob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
IDC estimates e-reader shipments

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/apples...selector-blogs

Interesting numbers, if accurate. I hadn't realized Pandigital would be in the top 3. And Kindle with a strong lead, but less than 50% marketshare.

Last edited by SleepyBob; 01-18-2011 at 10:51 AM. Reason: ETA: Q3 numbers, not Q4
SleepyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:41 AM   #2
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepyBob View Post
And Kindle with a strong lead, but less than 50% marketshare.
If those are worldwide numbers, remember than Amazon only market the Kindle to a very small number of countries, as do B&N, whereas the others are selling to a much wider proportion of the world.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2011, 11:56 AM   #3
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
If those are worldwide numbers, remember than Amazon only market the Kindle to a very small number of countries, as do B&N, whereas the others are selling to a much wider proportion of the world.
It's interesting to see worldwide numbers; I'm surprised Sony is so low. As the K3 didn't come out until Q4, it will be interested to see what effect that has on Amazon's numbers.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I think Amazon sells the Kindle in over 100 countries now and BN only sells in the US. Granted, Amazon has been selling the Kindle itnernationally for a little over a year so it is just getting its foot in the door outside of the US. I expect those numbers to climb in Q4.

Sony is not a huge surprise to me. Sony does not advertise and is probably the least known of the major e-readers in the US. Given that BN has 15% of the market and is only sold in the US, I would guess that the US accounts for the vast majority of e-reader sales.

Pandigital is the surprise to me. I know nothing about them and their ereaders.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Interesting Ziff Davis an acepted authority on the PC market so I would take them seriously.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 AM   #6
Geppetto
Addict
Geppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enoughGeppetto will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS600, Cybook, Hanvon N520, Sony PRS300, Onyx Boox, Kindle 3
Firstly, they're counting LCD screen devices, too.
Secondly, they're shipments and not sales.

Last edited by Geppetto; 01-19-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Geppetto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 10:45 AM   #7
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I would guess that they are counting anything that calls itself an e-reader. So the screen type doesn't matter. I would guess that the IPad is not included because it does not call itself an e-reader.

Nook Color calls itself an e-reader. It really isn't a full fledged tablet until you hack it.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote