Notices

Old 01-04-2011, 04:34 PM   #1
loopeylisie
Enthusiast
loopeylisie began at the beginning.

Device: none
does the keyboard irritate you?

hello!

I am trying to convince my mother to get a kindle. She really wants an ereader, but I made a fatal error and remarked that that one of the reasons I decided not to get a kindle was that I thought I'd be irritated by the keyboard on the bottom. Since I said this she's fixated on it and is now worried that she'll find it irritating. The trouble is that I think a kindle would be perfect for her: she's not at all tech savvy, but is familar with amazon so can easily search and buy books from them rather than needing to get used to another site, and the range and price of ebooks offered on amazon appears to be the best.

So, does anyone actually find the keyboard irritating or interfers with your reading pleasure? And if so, is there a cover which slips over the keyboard so its not there whilst reading?

Many thanks,

Lisa
loopeylisie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
I don't find that the keyboard interferes with my reading.

I'm not aware of a cover that can be placed over the keyboard to hide it while the device is being used. The navigation buttons are on the right side of the keyboard, and you wouldn't want them covered. Those include the "Aa" button (for font resizing/line spacing/text-to speech/screen rotation), the Menu button, Back, Enter, the "Sym" button (to access numbers and characters), and the 5-way controller.

The buttons are small and do take some getting used to, but I think everything works very well.
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 04:47 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopeylisie
So, does anyone actually find the keyboard irritating or interfers with your reading pleasure?
My Kindle has a keyboard!?!?

Seriously though, I rarely use the keyboard. And when I read... I don't even know it's there.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-04-2011 at 05:12 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 04:55 PM   #4
Fastolfe
Bookworm
Fastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplaneFastolfe makes transoceanic flights without the assistance of an airplane

Device: Sony PRS-650
It irritates me only when it touches my baby-skinned bottom
Fastolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:24 PM   #5
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Not at all OP!

I started with the Kindle 2 - I thought it looked ugly, hated the clumsy look with the keyboard which I thought took up a lot of space but I had already tried and not got on with the Sony Touch so I was prepared to give the Kindle a chance.

It took me all of a few minutes to fall in love with the Kindle because I found that it was so easy to use. Loved the keyboard which is useful for searching, dictionary lookups, making notes, "typing" on the Internet etc. The fact I initially found it ugly was no big deal anymore.

The Kindle 3 is much better looking (in my opinion) and a wee bit smaller than the Kindle 2. I never notice the keyboard when I'm reading but I'm sure glad of the keyboard when I want to use it!

I think your Mum should give it a whirl especially if she's already familar with Amazon and how that works. Really the Kindle is a good device for non-techy users - the way it is all set up with the Amazon bookstore makes it pretty easy to get and read books.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #6
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Even the small keyboard of the KDXG is somewhat irritating me.
Therefore i prefer to use Sony 650 for reading ePub and KDXG only for PDF files with pictures and tables.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My Kindle has a keyboard!?!?

I like having the keyboard. I don't notice it when I'm reading at all but it comes in handy when playing scrabble.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I have no issues with the K3 keybrd.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by loopeylisie View Post
hello!

I am trying to convince my mother to get a kindle. She really wants an ereader, but I made a fatal error and remarked that that one of the reasons I decided not to get a kindle was that I thought I'd be irritated by the keyboard on the bottom. Since I said this she's fixated on it and is now worried that she'll find it irritating. The trouble is that I think a kindle would be perfect for her: she's not at all tech savvy, but is familar with amazon so can easily search and buy books from them rather than needing to get used to another site, and the range and price of ebooks offered on amazon appears to be the best.

So, does anyone actually find the keyboard irritating or interfers with your reading pleasure? And if so, is there a cover which slips over the keyboard so its not there whilst reading?

Many thanks,

Lisa
How about this? Get your mom a K3 and see how she likes it. If she doesn't like it because of the keyboard, you can return it to Amazon within 30 days and then go buy her a Sony Reader PRS-650 instead.

Problem solved.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #10
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
I wouldn't say I find it irritating, but yes, I wish they had made a keyboard-less model like the first Kobo. The only time I've actually used the keyboard was to create a collection.

You don't really notice it while reading, though.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:48 PM   #11
leaston
Addict
leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leaston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
I don't mind the keyboard and don't notice it when reading. All you have to bear in mind is that it's not a computer, so it wouldn't be fair to compare or contrast with a "proper" keyboard. It is functional and does the job of entering the odd note or typing URL's. If you want to type a quick email, it works well enough. The only way I could think of it being a real problem is if you use the Kindle for something it's not really designed for, such as typing letters, expecting 50 words per minute or similar.

The way I see it is as an e-book reader with a bonus keyboard. Yay!
leaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 05:51 PM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The physical keyboard is a selling point for me. Comes in handy when taking notes on particular passages. I wouldn't have a reader without at least a virtual keyboard, but preferably physical.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
speedlever
Fanatic
speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.speedlever can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: PW2014, PW2012, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The physical keyboard is a selling point for me. Comes in handy when taking notes on particular passages. I wouldn't have a reader without at least a virtual keyboard, but preferably physical.
Ditto here. I much prefer the physical KB over a virtual KB on a touchscreen device. There's no guessing whether you pressed the button or not and if the machine is processing your request or if it didn't recognize the keypress.
speedlever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #14
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I mostly use the keyboard for jumping to a title (like, If your home page is sorted alphabetically by either Title or Author, press a letter key and then press the 5-way to go to the first item starting with that letter), or to jump to a location in a book, after reading the sample. Once in a while, I add a note.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 PM   #15
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedlever View Post
Ditto here. I much prefer the physical KB over a virtual KB on a touchscreen device. There's no guessing whether you pressed the button or not and if the machine is processing your request or if it didn't recognize the keypress.
Although, as I'm sure you'll agree, the virtual keyboard on the iPad is top notch. It's one of the most responsive I've seen, but I miss the lack of arrows for navigating forward, back, up, and down. That's why I'm glad I have the physical keyboard/dock for extended typing sessions.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote