Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2010, 09:31 AM   #1
jsites
Enthusiast
jsites doesn't litterjsites doesn't litter

Device: Sony Pocket PRS-350 Silver
Is "screen burn" something to worry about?

So normally when I am done reading, I put my Sony PRS-350 into sleep mode until I'm ready to pick it up again. Now I've only had it for a bit under a week, so this isn't a concern yet, but should I be worried about possible "screen burn"? Similar to what can happen on TVs when they display the same image for prolonged periods of time. They end up displaying a ghosted version of that image permanently. So would I be better off completely turning the reader off, or is it fine to keep it on Sleep mode?
jsites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
E-Ink screens are not affected by the same burn-in that occurs with LCD or Plasma TVs.

Sometimes with a dark image on the screen you will see 'ghosting' after turning the page but this will go away after 1-2 page turns and is not permanent.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #3
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
Sleep mode is fine. The old screen burn is particular to the old CRT displays/TV's I believe. As you know, the e-ink screens are quite different than that.

* I just Wiki'ed it. CRT (cathode ray tubes), and Plasma screens (to a lesser extent), are susceptible to screen burn in, but not LCD's. Screen savers these days are mainly for aesthetic reasons.

Last edited by jlbfoot; 12-30-2010 at 10:42 AM.
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:55 AM   #4
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlbfoot View Post
but not LCD's
But I will swear that the LCD at work shows tha SAP-dropplet in the top right corner even if switched off.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 11:01 AM   #5
jlbfoot
idiot
jlbfoot began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, 300, and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Nord View Post
But I will swear that the LCD at work shows tha SAP-dropplet in the top right corner even if switched off.
But, but...Wiki said so. And, you know, if you read it on the Internet, it MUST be true!
jlbfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2010, 11:13 AM   #6
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
My old sony 500 shows a ghost of the info bar at the bottom when I have it in landscape mode. Strange yet true.
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote