Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #2596
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post

Congratulations, Nyssa!

Thanks for starting this thread Nyssa! And Alan you also deserve some credit here for keeping this thread alive with all of your informative posts of interviews with Jim, and all the videos/pictures/fan art for this series

leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:15 PM   #2597
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leanansidhe View Post
Thanks for starting this thread Nyssa! And Alan you also deserve some credit here for keeping this thread alive with all of your informative posts of interviews with Jim, and all the videos/pictures/fan art for this series

and as well!

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 03:36 PM   #2598
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
That's what the spoiler tags are for! Can you give a chapter reference as a hint that I can go check out?
Well, okay, it's not a specific reference but more an examination of her character arc, her history, and what she finally admits in #4.

Spoiler:
So in book #4 Rachel finally admits that she seeks out danger - dangerous men, dangerous situations - out of a need to feel alive. She's an adrenaline junkie of the worst kind. She subconsciously seeks out more than she can handle, and each time she ends up handling it anyway (albeit with help and usually a great deal of pain) she acknowledges the close call but consistently learns the wrong lesson from it.

Ivy finally gets her to realize that she's very powerful, and though she is a bumbling fool half the time, Rachel is extremely powerful. A witch like her shouldn't exist and, in fact, if not for the illegal intervention of Trent's father when she was a child, she wouldn't exist. What she is, is way more than she can handle.

Rachel Morgan is the equivalent of a five-year-old being put in charge of the Big Red Button. A witch has a lifespan of about 160 years. I don't think that will be long enough for her to achieve competency. In #4, we watch in stupefied amazement as she gets the whole way through the first demon curse without realizing that it's black magic and, in fact, she's shocked when she's told.

She's soooo not equipped to be what she is, and so I can forgive her.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:23 PM   #2599
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I understand what you are saying, and do agree, but
Spoiler:
I've been waiting, hoping, through the series that she will learn *something* and become somewhat competent. It's just happening sooooo slowly.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #2600
red_phoenix
Grand Sorcerer
red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.red_phoenix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Spoiler:
I've been waiting, hoping, through the series that she will learn *something* and become somewhat competent. It's just happening sooooo slowly.
She is who she is...but I totally agree. I read on hoping she has learned something.
red_phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:40 PM   #2601
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Quote:
Originally Posted by red_phoenix View Post
She is who she is...but I totally agree. I read on hoping she has learned something.
Well, since I am only on book #4, I'm hoping as well, I've just tempered my expectations a bit. It can be uncomfortable, at times, to watch someone run into a brick wall repeatedly. And if I'm going to be cheering her on for at least 8 more books, she better show some forward movement.
Old 10-24-2013, 04:44 PM   #2602
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
Well, okay, it's not a specific reference but more an examination of her character arc, her history, and what she finally admits in #4.

Spoiler:
So in book #4 Rachel finally admits that she seeks out danger - dangerous men, dangerous situations - out of a need to feel alive. She's an adrenaline junkie of the worst kind. She subconsciously seeks out more than she can handle, and each time she ends up handling it anyway (albeit with help and usually a great deal of pain) she acknowledges the close call but consistently learns the wrong lesson from it.

Ivy finally gets her to realize that she's very powerful, and though she is a bumbling fool half the time, Rachel is extremely powerful. A witch like her shouldn't exist and, in fact, if not for the illegal intervention of Trent's father when she was a child, she wouldn't exist. What she is, is way more than she can handle.

Rachel Morgan is the equivalent of a five-year-old being put in charge of the Big Red Button. A witch has a lifespan of about 160 years. I don't think that will be long enough for her to achieve competency. In #4, we watch in stupefied amazement as she gets the whole way through the first demon curse without realizing that it's black magic and, in fact, she's shocked when she's told.

Quote:
Spoiler:
Quote:
I still find her naivety and clumsiness a little endearing. I also like it just so I can hear more of Jenk's creative cursing as a result!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 04:46 PM   #2603
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Quote:
If anyone questions your awesomeness just show them a picture of Molly.
Thanks Phoenix! That made my day!
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 05:48 PM   #2604
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Yesterday was a milestone of sorts for The Dresden Files thread! As you may already know The Dresden Files thread is a sub-thread in the Mobileread Forum, Reading Recommendations.

Nyssa created The Dresden Files thread on 09-16-2011 and yesterday The Dresden Files thread passed all the other non-sticky sub-threads in the Reading Recommendations Forum. The Dresden Files thread has now had 172,481 views and 2,624 posts (they're called replies by Mobileread) since it was started.

The Dresden Files thread numbers exceed all of the Sub-Forum, Book Clubs' many Sub-Forums (350+).

Of the five sticky sub-threads in the Reading Recommendations Forum only one exceeds The Dresden Files numbers and it is four and one half years older than The Dresden Files.

Nyssa originally asked that this thread be afforded Book Club status or become a sticky. Neither status was afforded it.

Congratulations, Nyssa!

Quote:
Quote:

Full credit to Alansplace, our Dresden Files Guru!!

As Leanansidhe has stated, Alan is the one who keeps this place active. He has been the backbone of this thread and I am very thankful to him for it!

Thank you Alan!

I'd also like to thank my fellow Dresden Files fans for making this thread a fun place to be.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 06:10 PM   #2605
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Cool The Dresden Files thread...

Quote:
Yesterday was a milestone of sorts for The Dresden Files thread! As you may already know The Dresden Files thread is a sub-thread in the Mobileread Forum, Reading Recommendations.

Nyssa created The Dresden Files thread on 09-16-2011 and yesterday The Dresden Files thread passed all the other non-sticky sub-threads in the Reading Recommendations Forum. The Dresden Files thread has now had 172,481 views and 2,624 posts (they're called replies by Mobileread) since it was started.

The Dresden Files thread numbers exceed all of the Sub-Forum, Book Clubs' many Sub-Forums (350+).

Of the five sticky sub-threads in the Reading Recommendations Forum only one exceeds The Dresden Files numbers and it is four and one half years older than The Dresden Files.

Nyssa originally asked that this thread be afforded Book Club status or become a sticky. Neither status was afforded it.

Congratulations, Nyssa!

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Full credit to Alansplace, our Dresden Files Guru!!

As Leanansidhe has stated, Alan is the one who keeps this place active. He has been the backbone of this thread and I am very thankful to him for it!

Thank you Alan!

I'd also like to thank my fellow Dresden Files fans for making this thread a fun place to be.
You're very welcome, Nyssa!!

...and I agree, to all you fellow Dresden Files fans for making this thread such a wonderful and fun place to be.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:24 PM   #2606
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool You're welcome

Quote:
...Alan you also deserve some credit here for keeping this thread alive with all of your informative posts of interviews with Jim, and all the videos/pictures/fan art for this series

You're very welcome, Lea!!

Old 10-24-2013, 06:46 PM   #2607
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

James Potter and the Morrigan Web Cover

Download a larger version here

Finally an official cover for James Potter and the Morrigan Web has appeared!

Old 10-25-2013, 01:01 AM   #2608
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer

Cool Fool Moon

From deviantart.com
Quote:

Harry Dresden
by thegryph
Fan Art / Digital Art / Painting & Airbrushing / Books & Novels
©2008-2013 thegryph

"The world is getting weirder. Darker every single day. Things are spinning around faster and faster, and threatening to go completely awry. Falcons and falconers. The center cannot hold.

But in my corner of the country, I'm trying to nail things down. ... I don't want to live in a world where the strong rule and the weak cower. I'd rather make a place where things are a little quieter. Where trolls stay the hell under their bridges, and where elves don't come swooping out to snatch children from their cradles. Where vampires respect the limits, and where the faeries mind their p's and q's.

My name is Harry Blackstone Copperfield Dresden. Conjure by it at your own risk. When things get strange, when what goes bump in the night flicks on the lights, when no one else can help you, give me a call. I'm in the book."

- Jim Butcher

Edit: To answer the two most common questions I get about this - the dog was intended to be one of the hexenwulfen from Fool Moon, though if it makes you happy to make it Mouse in your heads, I'm cool with that. For all the endless commentary on his hat... seriously, guys, this piece is probably four years old at this point. Please take it as read that I have been reminded by many, many people that he doesn't wear one in canon, but I'm unlikely to change it this far down the road.

Last edited by alansplace; 10-25-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: oops!
Old 10-25-2013, 01:43 AM   #2609
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:

Finally an official cover for James Potter and the Morrigan Web has appeared!

Very interesting! It doesn't fit into the previous theme, does it?

I've re-downloaded, for the cover only since I'm partway through maybe someday finishing editing it.

Can't help but wonder how you find this stuff out.

Skin Game release date countdown:
39 DAYS!
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 01:36 PM   #2610
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Question for the other Hollows readers: I'm about to start #5 and I'm wondering...

Spoiler:
Is Brett going to make an appearance here or in the future?

Just a yes, yes but not in #5, or no will suffice. Thanks!

Tags
fantasy series, magic, supernatural, the dresden files, urban fantasy