Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 02:23 AM   #16
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I got the business calendar from Amazon when it was free. It's like a google or outlook clone.
Hmmm, it doesn't appear to be compatible with the Fire. As shown in the "Compatibility with your devices" section.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 02:28 AM   #17
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Hmmm, it doesn't appear to be compatible with the Fire. As shown in the "Compatibility with your devices" section.
Awww Well there's also mobile Google calendar via a browser.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 07:38 AM   #18
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Did your Fires come with a USB cable? Mine only included an A/C charger. Also: how can I delete items from the "carousel"?

ETA: Never mind about the USB cable. I see they are "sold separately" and assume I can use one of my other Kindles USB cables. Will report if that turns out to be a problem!

Would still like to know how to delete items from the carousel, though...

Last edited by janiebegood; 11-16-2011 at 08:29 AM.
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM   #19
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Deletions

Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebegood View Post
Did your Fires come with a USB cable? Mine only included an A/C charger. Also: how can I delete items from the "carousel"?

ETA: Never mind about the USB cable. I see they are "sold separately" and assume I can use one of my other Kindles USB cables. Will report if that turns out to be a problem!

Would still like to know how to delete items from the carousel, though...
Hold a finger on the item until a menu appears. Then tap "delete."
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #20
janiebegood
Enthusiast
janiebegood began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 3GS, K1 (RIP), K2, K3, and now Kindle Fire!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
Hold a finger on the item until a menu appears. Then tap "delete."
Sirmaru, when I do that, the only option available is "add to favorites". No menu!
janiebegood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
serp
serp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
If you use google's email/calendar/etc then the mobile sites of these things are actually very nice. It does require you to be connected to wifi to use them but if you are always around a wifi network I have found them to be a better option than the included email program. Just go to your browser and visit https://google.com/mail or https://m.google.com

Also the mobile version of Google Music looks pretty much just like the android app. Once again though you won't be able to pin playlists and store them locally so only good if you are on wifi.

If you visit these sites, bookmark them, then go back to your homescreen they will be on the Carousel and you can then add it to your favorites. This should be true of any site you want to put in your favorites. Now if I could just find a way to change the icon for bookmarks favorited.
serp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:58 AM   #22
xari
Kindle Obsessed.
xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.xari got an A in P-Chem.

Device: K3, K4, Kindle Fire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by janiebegood View Post
Sirmaru, when I do that, the only option available is "add to favorites". No menu!
Ahhhhhhhh, as far as we know, item cannot be deleted from that carousel up above; they can only be deleted from the favorites bookshelves down below.

Hopefully they'll add that option in a future update.
xari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:48 AM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by xari View Post
Ahhhhhhhh, as far as we know, item cannot be deleted from that carousel up above; they can only be deleted from the favorites bookshelves down below.

Hopefully they'll add that option in a future update.
Yep, I noticed that the carousel includes all the archived books. I have only about 50 books archived and that makes for too big of a carousel! I can only imagine how bad it will be for those who have 2000 books archived. I used to mostly sideload books, but have recently switched over to using the archive so this will be a problem for me before too long. Amazon at least needs to include the option of NOT listing the entire Archive or Cloud as they do in the Books section where we can select to view books via Cloud (Archive) or Device.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:33 PM   #24
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yep, I noticed that the carousel includes all the archived books. I have only about 50 books archived and that makes for too big of a carousel! I can only imagine how bad it will be for those who have 2000 books archived. I used to mostly sideload books, but have recently switched over to using the archive so this will be a problem for me before too long. Amazon at least needs to include the option of NOT listing the entire Archive or Cloud as they do in the Books section where we can select to view books via Cloud (Archive) or Device.
oh boy I'm one of those people.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:40 PM   #25
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Quote:
oh boy I'm one of those people.
Me too. My carousel will be so unwieldy it's liable to shatter my gorilla glass. No, I don't care for the idea of an unending carousel of books, movies, etc.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 12:41 PM   #26
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or maybe a Carousel with the last 10 - 20 items accessed/downloaded. Right now it's too much that it's really not practical.
Old 11-16-2011, 12:55 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

They definitely need to rethink the viewing options for the carousel! If you have hundreds of books, perhaps thousands of songs, plus lots of videos, apps, et cetera, it will be a huge mess to find anything. Still beats the pants off the Nook though!
Old 11-16-2011, 01:00 PM   #28
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
They definitely need to rethink the viewing options for the carousel! If you have hundreds of books, perhaps thousands of songs, plus lots of videos, apps, et cetera, it will be a huge mess to find anything. Still beats the pants off the Nook though!
You're silly! I'm not going back.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #29
dukefingaz
dukefingaz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle fire
Quote:
To get sideloaded books to show up in the carousel you need to remove the pdoc tag from the mobi book.

You can do this in Calibre.

From Calibre's Book Conversion window click on MOBI output
Find the box that says Personal Doc Tag: [pdoc]
Delete [pdoc] from the box and reconvert book.
It should now show up with your other books on the Fire.

You can set Calibre to permanently do this in
Preferences/Output options/MOBI output.
Find the box that says Personal Doc Tag: [pdoc]
Delete [pdoc] from the box and click apply at the top.

Note: If you don't care about the books showing up in the carousel then just email them to your Kindle. This will use the Personal Documents Cloud and you will be able synch those without modifying them in Calibre.
Thanks for this post, was worried was gonna lose lots of books for the wifey.

Last edited by dukefingaz; 11-16-2011 at 01:44 PM.
dukefingaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 01:47 PM   #30
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I decided NOT to use the Carousel. I just use the Shelves for what I like. The Carousel is really like the Archive folder of the 3rd Generation Kindle Kbd WiFi.

Move what interests you to the Shelves and then roll your screen down so only the Shelves appear. We should have an option to make the Carousel DISAPPEAR like the Archive did in the 3rd generation
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote