Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

View Poll Results: Would you encourage or discourage your friend from buying Onyx Boox M90?
I would encourage a friend to buy the device 3 10.34%
I don't know / I'm confused / I'd wait 9 31.03%
I would discourage a friend from buying the device 17 58.62%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-07-2011, 01:40 AM   #16
jian1
Banned
jian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toysjian1 shares his or her toys

Device: Onyx Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
Pocketbook 90x firmware/software sucks
New firmware is still beta...
you sure? I thought any ereaders would at least have better firmware than M90.

I understand that new products may be buggy at the beginning, but I doubt any other company delivers POS firmware like M90 did.....Can someone confirm if Onyx Boox M90 has the worst amongt all e-readers?
jian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:19 PM   #17
machinogodzilla
Addict
machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.machinogodzilla can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PBook 902† Kindle† Nook SimpleTouch† Onyx M92† i86† M96 N96ML NotePro
Thank you for your votes and opinions. Please continue voting if you own the device, opinions from real users are really invaluable to me and I'm sure that many others watching this forum too .

machinogodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:23 PM   #18
studiosus
studiosus doesn't litterstudiosus doesn't litter

Device: several devices
The device itself is good, but the firmware sucks, so I voted "I would discourage a friend from buying the device". If Onyx fixes the bugs, then I would recommend it.
studiosus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 10:48 PM   #19
seminumber
seminumber began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m90
I wouldn't recommend to buy this device. Let me ask you "if your device get bricked, how many ways would you get supported?". Suppose you had the situation and look for manual, forum, official web site.

I've used M90 for about a month now, but I've already had enough problems; the device get frozen three times, running out of battery on standby mode, etc.. There seems to be an active discussion forum in China, but little material is in English. The reset button is well hidden back side of the device, (btw, this hard reset button fixes all possible problems so far) and you should always bring a pin with the device.

To be fair, the device itself has a lot potential. Stylus pen works fine for navigating purpose. It can read large PDF and Djvu files fast, the display is clear and crisp. But with all this, I still don't recommend this. If you still think it is the only option you got, please think again and wait.
seminumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 12:57 AM   #20
keruyen
keruyen began at the beginning.

Device: onyx boox m90, samsung e60
I have the M90 for a month now to, with the Version 1.5.1 20110818 firmware (updated by myself), the only real problem I have is the mobi compatibily.
It's doesn't crash a lot (just one time before the update),but many bugs. the IR is not very reactive but works, and I use it for pdf, mangas, with great pleasure.
But with all this, I still don't recommend this to, maybe the m92 will be the good choice.
(sorry for my poor english, I'm french)
keruyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #21
Onyx Europe
Distributor
Onyx Europe is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox M91S
New and improved leather cover for the Boox M90

Onyx Europe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 02:18 PM   #22
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
This is insulting, this guy should be banned.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:20 AM   #23
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
This is insulting, this guy should be banned.
Dear PF4Mobile,
As you may know we are a European distributor for the Onyx Boox M90/M91S and M92 models.
We are also really frustrated that Onyx International comes with a device that has a faulty firmware. Every day we try to push their engineers!
Please understand we want a product that works perfectly, and want all our customers to be satisfied!
Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #24
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Yeah we all know who you are. What we do not know is why you are not helping us to clarify what is possible or not possible on these devices.
Instead you do not miss an opportunity to advertise here and that despite the fact you are selling a product that is not working. Most of the users are complaining about what they bought yet you are saying "I am selling this product". If you honestly believe that selling that product is a honest thing you should explain why people should spend 400$ on something that does not do what it is supposed to do.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:30 AM   #25
gr650
gr650 doesn't littergr650 doesn't litter

Device: Boox M90
A new (pseudo-)leather cover is just about the least thing I'd need for the M90. Get the firmware right instead!
gr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 04:46 AM   #26
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr650 View Post
A new (pseudo-)leather cover is just about the least thing I'd need for the M90. Get the firmware right instead!
I've posted new firmware for the M90 and M91S yesterday:
You can find it here.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:32 PM   #27
gr650

Well, I have the new firmware, but couldn't find a list of changes or bugfixes.

The scribbling seems unchanged (with some minor issues), as mentioned by myself in the other thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...5&postcount=25

I can't comment yet on the random hiccups and hangups when reading epub or pdf files.

The IR sensor is still unreliable.

The handwriting recognition is a joke, but I'm not sure that feature would be useful in any case. The note-taking (Notes) is therefore a waste because the pen-typing is awkwardly slow and sometimes unreliable, and the handwriting recognition is crap.

I still can't export pdf annotations (sketches/notes), which would be a major feature.

Lots of things to do for the firmware guys. They'd be better off opening the device for open-source soft-/firmware.

But: if it works, the reading is just great on the device. No matter if epub/pdf or anything else that's displayed.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:07 PM   #28
PF4Mobile
Guru

Is there anything that this device does it well?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:47 AM   #29
gr650

Well, as I said: if it works, it works reliably. I've devoured about ten books on the device, in mobi/pdf/epub formats, and it's been a real pleasure to read them on the M90. But there are still a lot of things to improve.

Bought mine in the US at the beginning of September, and I haven't had any of the battery/speaker troubles others are reporting. I've already listed what's missing above.
Old 10-27-2011, 05:28 AM   #30
Onyx Europe
Distributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr650 View Post
Well, I have the new firmware, but couldn't find a list of changes or bugfixes.
For the pen-typing speed increased a lot after I've updated to the new firmware.

Last edited by Onyx Europe; 10-27-2011 at 05:32 AM.

Tags
onyx boox m90 buy