Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #1
Hopi
Edge User

Experience in returning defective eDGe, anyone?

Hi! TS advised me today that I may return my big eDGe for replacement because of the defective e-ink screen (hair-thin line running down its length)--back to the company, not to the retail outlet. I'm still within the company's warranty period.

I'm in the UK so I'm counting the cost and the hassle of having the device replaced. If you have any experience with returning the eDGe no matter where you are (experience of UK or non-US owners really sought) will you please post it here.

Whatever you can share will be most helpful but I have a list of questions below:

1. How did the return process go? Where did you ship the product for replacement--to the US or is there one in Europe? What charges did you pay for (shipping- one way or two-way, charges for repair, VAT for product replacement once it enters the country as import?, etc.)?

2. How long did it take from your shipping the device to your getting a replacement? Can you tell how long between the receipt of the defective device at the company and Entourage System's shipping it back to you?

3. Do you have any wisdom to share in dealing with company people handling the return process? What do I have to do, what should I not do?

4. Do you have any advice regarding preparing the parcel for shipping back to Entourage Systems?

5. Finally, was getting a replacement worth all the hassle and expense?
My eDGe is functioning normally although the line is distracting as well as painful to see on a product I sacrificed some things to buy.

Looking forward to your posts. Thank you.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #2
alefor
Edge User

I just had to return one of my eDGe devices for a problem. I cannot answer all of your questions because I just shipped it yesterday. But I can tell you that Entourage made the process a real snap! I live in Japan, and returning it could not have been easier. They sent me, by email, the FedEx paperwork. I dropped it off at FedEx which took all of 10 minutes, including packaging it in the box. As far as sending it back, it could not have been easier. As for getting it back to me, that remains to be seen.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #3
borisb
Edge User

While the there's only one line there, it'll be a nuisance, and you can't be sure that more lines won't develop. It's worth while to take advantage of the offer to repair/exchange.

enTourage itself is superb for dealing with warranty issues, so have no fear at that front. I doubt they have a European repair depot - you'd have to ask them. If they're asking you to send it to the US, it suggests they don't.

To prevent damage in transit, be sure to wrap your eDGe in about 1" thickness of bubblewrap, or surround it with a couple of inches of "popcorn" packing material, otherwise, with several inches of crumpled up newspaper. It wouldn't hurt to slip your eDGe into a plastic bag before packing it.

Old 12-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
cheyennedonna
Edge User

Return for exchange, the possibility of further ink lines is high and entourage is great about return/exchange service. Also fast.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Hopi
Edge User

Many thanks to you all. Those are very reassuring feedbacks, especially about how the company treat its customers. I was getting ready to give my head a knock for buying a first-gen device.

Thanks for the details you shared Alefor. Keep me posted, please, as details become available. By the way, do you mean to say that Entourage is paying for the shipping by Fed Ex? Why did TS told me that they will not be covering shipping charges?

Old 12-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #6
StevenP
Edge User

I had to return my first two Edge's (the joys of being an early adopter) and Entourage was excellent to deal with. Yes, it's inconvenient but they made it move along as quick and easily as possible. For the size of the company, Entourage's customer support really is excellent.

Old 12-08-2010, 11:40 AM   #7
StevenP
Edge User

Oh, I'd like to add that because of my experience with Entourage and the fact that I really do like the Edge, I have found myself to be more of a "loyal" customer. Although I do want to see improvements in certain areas on the Edge this does not equate to dissatisfaction with the Edge or the company. I believe they truly are working hard to make their customers happy.

Old 12-08-2010, 03:16 PM   #8
Hopi
Edge User

Do I need to do anything to get good service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alefor View Post
They sent me, by email, the FedEx paperwork. I dropped it off at FedEx which took all of 10 minutes, including packaging it in the box.
Hi! I wonder why I got a different treatment. When I asked if they will send me the FedEx paper work, I was told to go online myself and prepare the needed paperwork. What did you do Alefor to obtain that kind of service?

Also, do they respond to request for a replacement with a new device instead of just a repaired or refurbished one? I only have my eDGe for 10 days and had stopped using it when the e-ink screen developed that defect. So I"m afraid a repaired device might develop the same damage in the future. A refurbished one (one of THEIR options in the warranty) is such an injustice since my eDGe is new and barely used.

I'm quite reasonable and not given to being unduly pushy. But I'd like to know if there is a need for being pushy this time.

Old 12-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #9
alefor
Edge User

I have to admit that I dont know what leads to the paperwork being done by Entourage, perhaps the nature of the repair.... I guess you should ask. I did nothing special except to ask about the problem, they replied with more questions and then told me to return the unit. Nothing special, and I didnt ask for that specifically. I hope you can get this resolved soon! I also agree that you should not get a "refurbished" unit. I hope it all works out well for you.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:15 PM   #10
Hopi
Edge User

Thanks for the reply Alefor. I guess I will sit this out for a little while and communicate with them some more so that I can clarify my expectations with them. I'm shelling out money to ship from UK to US and it's equivalent to a month's food budget.

Though seeing the eDGe and not being able to use it is excruciating. But I'm a postgrad student on a scholarship so money is not exactly flowing.

Update me please with what's going on with your product return. Many thanks again.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:19 PM   #11
borisb
Edge User

Hopi, did you buy your eDGe from a European retailer? If you did, did you ask them about this warranty issue?

Old 12-08-2010, 06:20 PM   #12
Hopi
Edge User

From a US retailer Boris. PC Connection Express to be exact. I asked a friend to buy it for me and ship it to UK (in the original box). The interval from my friend's receipt and now is more than 15 days, thus per warranty policy of PC Connection Express, after 15 days I will have to resort to Entourage Systems warranty. That's why I did.

Buying it from the US was supposed to be cheaper even if you factor in the shipping cost and the UK VAT since the device is exempt from UK import duty. But it turned out, I'm blowing away whatever savings I had on the shipping charges for the return to US.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:26 PM   #13
borisb
Edge User

Yes, that's the trade off you make

Well, the warranty is for 1 year, so you can hold off for a while. If the line doesn't get worse, you're saving yourself money. 9-10 months from now there may be a way to return it to a European depot instead.

Old 12-08-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
Hopi
Edge User

Thanks for the sympathy Boris.
But I hate loose ends and a defective e-ink screen is one big loose end. If I had caused it, I could learn to live with it; but I did not (think righteous indignation).

I emailed Entourage if they can replace it with a new device. I'll see what they have to say.

Old 12-08-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
alefor
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post

Update me please with what's going on with your product return. Many thanks again.
I will let you know what happens. Right now, it is still in transit on the way to the repair center. I'm in no hurry, but it will be interesting to see when it gets back here to me.