Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 05-15-2010, 06:52 AM   #16
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur
Xaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litterXaphiosis doesn't litter

Device: PRS-T1
Raw X/Y touchscreen coordinates.

So I augmented the subcpu.c file as more stuff made sense (my friend kinda got infected with my excitement too, and he helped figure out the sequence numbers).

Here's a sample interaction, me pressing every single button and then briefly tapping the screen (all numbers are in hex):

Code:
# ./subcpu 
MSG: KEY: 17 (Page left      ), EVENT: key down (2b)
MSG: KEY: 17 (Page left      ), EVENT: key up (2d)
MSG: KEY: 0b (Page right     ), EVENT: key down (2b)
MSG: KEY: 0b (Page right     ), EVENT: key up (2d)
MSG: KEY: 0c (Home           ), EVENT: key down (2b)
MSG: KEY: 0c (Home           ), EVENT: key up (2d)
MSG: KEY: 03 (Zoom           ), EVENT: key down (2b)
MSG: KEY: 03 (Zoom           ), EVENT: key up (2d)
MSG: KEY: 02 (Options        ), EVENT: key down (2b)
MSG: KEY: 02 (Options        ), EVENT: key up (2d)
MSG: KEY: 00 (Volume down    ), EVENT: key down (2b)
MSG: KEY: 00 (Volume down    ), EVENT: key up (2d)
MSG: KEY: 01 (Volume up      ), EVENT: key down (2b)
MSG: KEY: 01 (Volume up      ), EVENT: key up (2d)
MSG: TOUCH: SEQ: 09 X: 686 Y: 3e8
MSG: TOUCH: SEQ: 09                X: 24c Y: a90 (pressure)
MSG: TOUCH: SEQ: 0a X: 6b2 Y: 3f6
MSG: TOUCH: SEQ: 0a                X: 266 Y: a85 (pressure)
MSG: TOUCH: SEQ: 0b X: 6d7 Y: 403
MSG: TOUCH: SEQ: 0b                X: 25d Y: abb (pressure)
MSG: TOUCH: pen lift
ACK
Notice that the touchscreen sends two messages with the same sequence number for every time it polls the surface. First, it sends the raw x and y. Then it sends the pressure x and y. Note that I have no idea what this pressure is, as two numbers for pressure make no sense to me. Also, sony's own diagnostic test screen has two numbers for pressure which don't make sense either, so maybe they're just irrelevant numbers.

The pen lift message comes just once with its own sequence number.
Attached Files
File Type: gz subcpu.c.gz (2.7 KB, 418 views)
Xaphiosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:57 PM   #17
mziaeem
mziaeem began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600
qt embedded

so it is the time for compiling Qt embedded and running on device.
steps:
1- compile and test qt embedded on device
2- using some of patches for qt to synchronize with e-ink refresh rate
3- writing drivers for qt that translates the output of your program to qt interface
4- developing qt based applications for prs-600

what about this scenario? I have downloaded qt-embeded and some customizations that kindle developers do for it. but having problem cross compiling for arm, still does not create any port of it for prs-600.

also we can use gtkfb (gtk for frame buffer) or tinyX (an X for embedded framebuffer devices) but I think QT/e is better.

any Ideas?
mziaeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-26-2010, 04:04 PM   #18
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur

I have no real experience with Qt embedded. I've thought about this before, and in my opinion it does seem the best way to go. However, looking around online I haven't really found any good introductions to how I'd write my own screen and input drivers for Qt embedded, which is when I stopped looking at it.

Since I have to focus on finishing my PhD, I don't have as much time for playing around with other stuff as I'd like to. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:13 AM   #19
mziaeem

qte

take a look at

http://www.mobileread.mobi/forums/sh...t=71776&page=2
Old 07-29-2010, 01:46 PM   #20
mziaeem

simple draw with touchscreen

hello
I have created a simple paint for prs-600. this is very simple and can only draw continues lines. converting it to a writing and painting require buffering the touch events.
tochscreen has 4000x4000 resolution and screen600x800
simply run draw on your device, or compile modified subcpu.c;

فروش یک دستگاه ebook reader prs-600 sony با قیمت مناسب
تلفن تماس 09133089726
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 prs-open.tar.bz2 (15.5 KB, 324 views)

Last edited by mziaeem; 07-29-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Advert
Old 08-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #21
7tronics
7tronics began at the beginning.

Device: Pandigital Novel (1GB); Sony PRS-600; Augen "The Book" (returned)
X & Y pressure, indicating direction of a swipe motion?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaphiosis View Post
So I augmented the subcpu.c file as more stuff ...

Then it sends the pressure x and y. Note that I have no idea what this pressure is, as two numbers for pressure make no sense to me. Also, sony's own diagnostic test screen has two numbers for pressure which don't make sense either, so maybe they're just irrelevant numbers.

The pen lift message comes just once with its own sequence number.
Is X & Y pressure related to direction? So for a swipe are X & Y being updated to indicate the direction of the swipe motion? I know you can take the difference between successive events, but if the hardware does this more efficiently in relating directional pressure, that's a nice feature to exploit!

Best, Mark
7tronics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 10:59 PM   #22
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur

Sadly, I don't think it's related to direction. It's slightly related to position, but I'm not sure how. You can have a play with it if you enter the diagnostic software (as per manual, no russification needed).

I feel a bit guilty, haven't had any time for sony hacking recently :/
Old 09-05-2010, 11:13 PM   #23
customelectronic
customelectronic began at the beginning.

Device: PRS900
Xaphoisis,
Excellent work! I have a sony Daily Edition (PRS900?? i think) which has the same touch screen interface. On the Sony site, under Audio, I found the kernel drivers for the on-the-go file-system, and a USB serial port driver, and kernel, etc. I am a longtime linux user and kernel hacker (robotics), so there isn't anything really new here for me in taking apart a RTOS - just another version of it....

I only have a few days before I leave, and I would like to hack my 900 and help you out with the touch screen decoding; from the kernel sources, I think the 600 and 900 are very similar.

The byte pattern you posted looks similar to some things I saw in a touchpad system driver I improved. (Hyperpen,Aiptek). I am thinking about cross compiling some handwriting recognition software to allow myself to use my SONY as a stand alone terminal / true Linux box. (I bought it second hand, and Sony doesn't seem to be able to deactivate the earlier owner's account -- so it's fair game to hack.)

but, I need to get up to speed quickly in order to do this; I see that the system boots linux from nand flash ram; and I see references in the threads to a upgraded flash; Do I have to upgrade the flash in order to hack the 900, or is that something specific to earlier Sony's? If I do, what exactly is being changed in the new flashed image -- eg: Is is a re-compiled Linux kernel, or what; so if I need to recompile my version of the kernel for the 900 with some changes, is the source code available?

Once I get on the system with a terminal running ash... the rest is easy for me to do. You mentioned an alternate serial port inside the Sony used by the "russians" -- but that it required a password. Is that password known? For I do have serial port hardware RS232/422/ or 5V logic and knowhow if that is a simple pathway in.
I can go any distance, even to desoldering surface mount chips w/ a NASA certified station... BSEE is my background.

Worst case, I can desolder the flash from my sony's motherboard and use some search algorithms to find the root password, and replace the cipher with a password I know -- but if there is a faster way -- I'd like to know.

Thanks in advance.
customelectronic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 01:07 AM   #24
customelectronic

Note: there is a subcpu.h header file with struct, and information matching what you are doing in the kernel source code, at least in my version. There are static functions defined in that header file to do conversions as well.

void subcpu_convert_to_line(struct *, char *)
void subcpu_convert_from_line( struct *, char *)
void subcpu_make_xor( struct *) // compute the checksum for byte 7.
int subcpu_check_xor(struct *)

A structure like: (but abbr. names)
struct subcpu_packet {
unsigned char category;
unsigned char command;
unsigned char data[4];
unsigned char xor_sum;
};

From the macros #defined at the top of the file, subcpu interfaces to the categories -- real time clock (RTC), (WAN), (USB_PHY), eg: I suspect these are the peripherals of the SONY reader. and mostly built in peripherals in the ARM processor from freescale; and I am sure looking at the datasheet would explain the rest of the acronyms.

"ACK" is 0x40 -- :"NEED ACK" is 0x80. So that explains the handshake you mentioned.

Also, clearly one may send commands to the processor through subcpu to SET time/date, Power, Charger, USB, MSSD (SD?) power, and MS (memory stick??) MSSD memorystick-SD power... aha! and some miscellaneous register read, write, bitset, and I2C test macros.

linux-2.6.23_091126/include/asm-arm/subcpu.h

Checking for source code tied to that header yields three items, one is a module; so there is example code one can look at for controlling the power state of SD memory, WAN, etc. from kernel modules....
Nice!

drivers/misc/extpowerctl/ext-power-ctl.c:#include <asm/subcpu.h>
drivers/mxc/pmic/wm8350/powerfunc.c:#include <asm/subcpu.h>
drivers/mxc/pmic/wm8350/pmic-wm8350-bus.c:#include <asm/subcpu.h>
include/asm-arm/subcpu.h: subcpu.h : Communication for Sub CPU
include/asm/subcpu.h: subcpu.h : Communication for Sub CPU

and a grep for subcpu in general, not only the header reveals these:

arch/arm/mach-mx3/system_npm.c
arch/arm/mach-mx3/mx31ebx5016_gpio.c
arch/arm/mach-mx3/mx31ebx5016.c
arch/arm/mach-mx3/mxc_pm_ebx5016.c
drivers/misc/extpowerctl/ext-power-ctl.c
drivers/mxc/pmic/wm8350/powerfunc.c

And the broadsheet video driver appears to be in there too.
drivers/broadsheet/broadsheet.h
drivers/broadsheet/mxcfb_broadsheet.c

Last edited by customelectronic; 09-06-2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:53 AM   #25
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur

customerelectronic: thank you for your post and kind words. It's clear you're someone who is far more competent at this kind of thing than I am, so while I will try do your questions justice, I'm afraid my skillset may come up short (and what I do know is restricted to the PRS600 I own). So, here goes.

The system is a freescale iMX something or other, iMX.31 in the case of the PRS600. Reading the datasheets will certainly help you figure out the connections on the board, but it didn't help me figure out functionality (I never got around to disassembling the reader). There are several mtl sections on the NAND chip which are mounted read-only during startup. I think two of these are relevant to the concept of "flashing the firmware". One carries the root filesystem (of interest to you), while the other I have no idea. The contents of the important mtl is a cramfs image, which, if you can flash it to the device, can cause the device to do whatever you want.

The iMX has two serial ports. One is connected to the "subcpu" (/dev/ttymxc1), and the other is unconnected (/dev/ttymxc0). If you want to connect to that port, you might get a login prompt (saw a screenshot on a russian site like that), or you might get nothing (saw a post of someone doing that too). The broadsheet interface is at /dev/fb0 pointed to by /dev/fb.

Getting started on hacking/code execution. First, you need arbitrary code execution. There are two ways I know of bootstrapping the process. Both involve the same "exploit" (loading a .so module that in its onLoad function calls system(...) - credit goes to porkupan). I've documented a bit on that in one of the READMEs attached to my post at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82714

The first method is to flash the device with a custom cramfs image. Just as for the 600, porkupan created "russified" firmware for the 900: http://projects.mobileread.com/reade...sh%20packages/
If you can use his version, it follows you can also modify the cramfs image to do whatever you want it to. Be aware that it is a very good idea to ensure that whatever modifications you make allow you a return to the SONY software (tinyhttp it's called), as that's what actually allows you to flash the reader's root mtl. Lose that ability and you might have a brick on your hands.
Anyway, instructions for that are likely the same as for the 600 as the files and setup seems identical. Here's what goes for an installation manual:
http://translate.google.com/translat...hp%3Ft%3D12146
If you install porkupan's "russified" firmware, he also added a feature where it can execute stuff from the /test folder when you insert an SD card and press a magical combination (replacing SONY's default test suite). I've documented using this to get a shell over USB in my USB shell post (linked to above).

To answer your question which I missed above, the boroda firmware only modifies the functionality contained in the xml resources interpreted by the tinyhttp program. It does not modify the kernel. Insofar as I know, I am the only person who posted about compiling modules for the kernel as released by SONY (which you seem to have the sources of). I don't think anyone has been brave (or stupid) enough to compile the entire kernel, flash it to the reader and then pray it works :/

The other method is not to flash the device. These guys have figured out how to simply run binaries on startup using a different autorun.xml setup, combined with the porkupan/igorsk module loading trick I mentioned above. Their thread is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87474
While their software is not open source, the part that actually starts it up is pretty obvious, so you can easily modify it to suit your needs. It also maintains the ability to go back into the normal ebook software if necessary. As a first step, make it run, say, a modified version of my "fb.c" I distributed with the USB shell post, and you'll know if you have arbitrary code execution.

In any case, sony just bludgeoned their tinyhttp program straight into /etc/init.d/rc (at the end). So in my cramfs image, I changed the last line of /etc/init.d/rc to run my own program (which I've attached to this post):
Code:
/opt/runsd.sh &
Source code and other stuff is available here: http://www.sony.net/Products/Linux/Audio/PRS-900.html (note that the SDMS module is SONY proprietary and taints the kernel, so no sources for that I think).

Regarding your observations on subcpu.h: it's not available in my kernel sources for the PRS600:
Code:
[~/PRS600/extra/linux-2.6.23_090626]# find . -name "subcpu.h"
[~/PRS600/extra/linux-2.6.23_090626]#
So I had to reverse-engineer it from scratch. Thank you for finding that! I will now be able to check my assumptions. There's some weird stuff going on, e.g. you can put the subcpu to sleep, but then none of the buttons or touch screen work anymore, so you can't wake it up. Without docs, it's all a bit strange. The WM8350 is well documented, but not how it's connected to everything. So in theory I should make it start charging the battery from the USB port, but thus far the best I've managed is I think getting it to trickle-charge. Luckily the OTG filesystem driver exposes the charging/usb interface. This interface will not be available if you unload it and replace it with the OTG serial driver, causing confusion

The broadsheet driver stuff I've mostly got figured out. I even wrapped it in a nice interface and wrote a silly little editline-based wrapper (needs editline.so in the library path). Ah, I'll attach that too (fb_inter.tar.gz).

I'm also attaching some reverse-engineered code which queries the status of the SD/MS devices, but apart from the obvious (inserted/removed) I don't know what the numbers mean.

Finally, I'm attaching some code which reads a WM8350 register specified on the command line. Might prove useful. No idea.

Anyway, that's as coherent an answer as I'm able to give you (I could make it more coherent given time, but you said you're flying soon and wanted to get started fast). I've walked 25km yesterday and just got back from martial arts, so I'm really tired. If something doesn't make sense, feel free to ask me again. I do hope the above helps with the generic idea of things, and maybe you'll only be left with specific/technical questions which are quicker for me to answer.

Good luck to you sir, I hope to hear of happy hours of hacking from you. I also envy you slightly for your 900's larger screen. I don't use SONY's library/store anyway, but a larger screen... now that would be something!

As for my own hacking, I need to finish my PhD, so it's all on hold at the moment. Grr. Otherwise I'd implement the touchscreen/buttons as a uinput device and port Qt...
Attached Files
File Type: gz runsd.sh.gz (582 Bytes, 291 views)
File Type: gz fb_inter.tar.gz (14.5 KB, 277 views)
File Type: gz sdms.tar.gz (4.3 KB, 265 views)
File Type: gz wm8350.tar.gz (4.4 KB, 294 views)
Old 09-06-2010, 11:43 PM   #26
customelectronic

Thank you!

For some reason, SD cards fit tight in my sony and it won't even recognize Sony brand SD sticks.
I have an old camera memory stick duo; so I plugged it in, and it fit nicely, spring loaded even, and was formatted by the e-book reader. It does boot the system into diagnostic/test mode when the appropriate file and directory are added to it .../Sony Reader/software/autorun.xml, but WOW I had to hold the sony 180 degrees out in order to press vol+ and home, shheeesh... sony's techs are probably irritated by that too.

I don't see any reason to install the full russified package. I loaded it and compared it to yours -- the scripts are the same with the exception that the files in mine have new_opt.900 instead of 600. Since the principle it works on is only the kernel extension (.so file) -- which is the same byte for byte in the 900 package as in yours -- that is all I really need. I looked at it with "less", said yes to viewing binary -- and since the debug information is there, I know it is safe enough -- it doesn't invoke flashing itself, it just launches (forks?) two processes -- and the actual commands are in ASCII, for ash shell. "chmod +x /tmp/script.sh", and "/tmp/script.sh"
So that is the script I want to modify --- looking at it, I commented out anything related to writing or changing the Sony; I just want the listing of all the directories to appear on my memory stick/or the internal memory if possible. Well ... here goes, let's see if I get lucky.

On the internal serial port -- the cramfs system for flashing has a /etc/???init file that starts a terminal on the spare serial port. So, I think it is only good if the reader is Russified, which I don't want to do. I mostly am interested in backing it up first, finding and fixing a few bugs that really irritate me (smallest font size is bigger than the "normal" size! UGH!). I'll let you know how things go.

Last edited by customelectronic; 09-06-2010 at 11:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2010, 12:29 AM   #27
Xaphiosis
Connoisseur

Yes, the .so file is identical, and my scripts are based on porkupan's (with a bit of simplification).

The reason the russified package is of interest is what happens when you enter the diagnostic mode. In the russified firmware, it first tries to load stuff from /test on the internal flash, which loads the .so file, which runs the script. The normal version, on the 600 at least, *always* enters into the SONY diagnostic mode. This is why I mention re-flashing as one way to get arbitrary code execution. In any case, if you want to change the boot scripts and such, you'll probably need to re-flash anyway.

The stuff about "flashing" in the russified firmware's scripts doesn't work on the 600 and is disabled. Probably the same for the 900. It does have a "test flash" script which just does mount --bind and restarts tinyhttp. I modified it to have an extra option to run a custom script and worked from there.

Also, be careful when writing shell scripts that redirect output to files on the internal flash or SD card. On the 600, there appears to be a bug of some kind regarding append mode whereby it does not flush reliably on an fsync or unmount. If you redirect to a file in /tmp and then copy it out, it works fine. If you do log to an SD card and find this problem happens to you, the other way out is to copy the file to /dev/null, which forces an open+read in normal (non-append) mode and hence flushes correctly.

It seems you inspired me to dump almost all my knowledge in this thread, so maybe others will benefit too. Good luck, and let us know how it goes. If you have any other questions, shoot
Old 09-07-2010, 05:18 AM   #28
customelectronic

ouch. :eek:

Well, I have an almost brick....

No matter how I tried to arrange the russified, or your version, it would boot into the diagnostic mode. I tried to get it just to write a file to various places to see if the XML was being executed at all, and I also tried injecting it in the xml files and caches. None of that worked. I noted the hard reset idea in the autorun.xml and js files -- so I tried doing it through a hard reset with a paperclip. Still nothing.

Then while looking at the diagnostics, In frustration I tried the "restore to factory ..." item. Now the reader will not get past the initial splash screen with "Sony Reader, Opening book..." etc. I found that I can still use the USB port for access, but I can no longer get it into normal book reader mode. It is building the index xmls, and caching, but no buttons work -- and I can't even enter diagnostic mode anymore....

Now I am irritated.
So, I popped the back off and am digging in....
The WM8350G audio chip was easy to identify.
I was surprised at seeing the EPSON S1D13521 screen controller chip... The ARM processor chip, I was just reading two nights ago, supposedly has a controller built in. They were bragging that they owned 90% of the market..... hmmm.....
I read through the video driver kernel source, and it consists of a serial eeprom read/write (IIC) memory chip for what reason, I am not sure. But the algorithm packs 16level grayscale for maximum transfer rate to the screen; however, Epson indicates this particular chip is actually as 32 level grayscale chip.... hmmm, better graphics are possible -- w/ 50Hz update rate capability.
It also has a rico flash card controller chip, R5C807.
I also see a MCIMX31LDVKN5D -- china ---
I don't see any obvious test points or serial connection points... though I do see a maxim chip with numbers too black to read in this light... well, time for sleep.
Old 09-07-2010, 07:38 AM   #29
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by customelectronic View Post
No matter how I tried to arrange the russified, or your version, it would boot into the diagnostic mode. I tried to get it just to write a file to various places to see if the XML was being executed at all, and I also tried injecting it in the xml files and caches. None of that worked.
This is obvious, as the holding vol+ & Home & inserting SD-Card, in a not russified PRS600/900 just trigger the execution of autorun.xml in a path hardcoded in kbook.so

The russified new_opt.900 (cramfs)image must hold a patched kbook.so which points AutoRunRoot.Path to "Data/test/" thus enabling custom-fsk-scipt execution.

Just to clarify that.
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:43 AM   #30
kartu
PRS+ author
kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kartu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, 505, 600, 650, 950
Porkupan (aka boroda) has mentioned that 900 could be booted from "diagnostic" Memory Stick. I've never tried it myself (for starters, I don't have 900 and 600 doesn't support it according to porkupan )
Here are more details:

http://vladboroda.livejournal.com/178470.html
http://vladboroda.livejournal.com/176964.html

PS
Guys, just my 2 cents for those, who want to develop for 600/900. I'm using the following code in tinyhttp.sh:

Code:
# Call custom script if ebook is not connected to USB
USBCONN=`/bin/cat /proc/usbtg/connect`
if [ "$USBCONN" == 0 ]
then
	/usr/local/sony/bin/mtdmount -t vfat -o utf8 -o shortname=mixed Data /Data

# Run prsp.sh shell script located on sd card,
	if [ -f /Data/database/system/PRSPlus/prsp.sh ]
	then
		. /Data/database/system/PRSPlus/prsp.sh
	fi
	/bin/umount /Data
fi
So sh file gets executed only if USB is not connected (porkupan's idea).
In this sh file I normally copy stuff to /tmp and do "mount --bind" whatever I want to change in the original firmware. It works like a charm (except internal memory access being rather buggy and sometimes getting corrupt, but I got used to it )

Last edited by kartu; 09-07-2010 at 08:46 AM.
kartu is offline   Reply With Quote