Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 04-20-2010, 07:06 AM   #1
vinniec
vinniec began at the beginning.

Device: none
Replaceable battery

Hi to all, I am newbie and I would choose which reder to buy.
My english is bad, unfortunately.

I'd like to ask if bebook one (alias Hanlin V3) is the only ebook reader to have a changeable common battery.
I find the compatible Nokia battery for a few euros.

There are other readers with this feature?

Thanks

Last edited by vinniec; 04-20-2010 at 05:35 PM.
vinniec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 08:35 AM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Ectaco Jetbook Lite actually uses 4 AA battery's, either off the shelf or rechargeable.

Big thread in the Jetbook forum about the best rechargeable's for it.

The LI-Ion battery for regular Jetbook is also for sale. About 30$ US.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I'm not too sure what the fuzz is about with the replaceable battery. I've had my first Sony for over a year now and battery is not an issue. I also replaced my first reader already and think I probably will do this again once there is a wider selection of readers offering 8"+ screens for a reasonable price. Then again, the battery on my current Sony won't be an issue.

To replace the battery of the two Sonys I own you have to tinker a little with the hardware, but I'm sure I could get it replaced if need be. I already saw a battery for the 505 for around $10. Sure, if you send it in to Sony, you can also buy a new reader instead.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The majority of readers have user-replaceable batteries. The only ones I'm aware of which don't are Sony, Kindle, and iRex devices.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:24 PM   #5
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

May be so. But does this make them worse? I can remember car batteries that needed maintenance and today, you cannot even refill the water and it still works.

I think from a development point of view, the companies estimate (including a safety factor) how long a battery should work. And then they put in whatever they think is suitable also depending on the life cycle of the product.
This is normal thinking for big companies and it saves them some money (or increases profit). But you'll see that everywhere.
Advert
Old 04-24-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
May be so. But does this make them worse?
It guess it depends how long you intend to keep the device for. A typical lithium ion battery, used by virtually all current eBook readers, will have a usable lifetime of perhaps 5 years. After 3 years, it might have lost a third of its original capacity.

If, like me, you change reading devices about as frequently as you change your underwear, this is no issue at all - I've certainly never had ANY device on which the battery has died of old age. If, however, you intend to buy a device and keep it for 10 years, it may perhaps be an issue. It's something that each buyer has to decide for themselves.

Certainly, though, having non-replaceable batteries has never harmed Apple's sales.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 06:13 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The majority of readers have user-replaceable batteries. The only ones I'm aware of which don't are Sony, Kindle, and iRex devices.
Exceptions: Sony 900 and iRex 800.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
vinniec

In the first instance thanks to all for the answers.

@Gost Nice reader but the lcd screen does not interest me.

There are some personal reasons why I prefer a replaceable battery style Hanlin v3 as HarryT sayd:
-Kiss (keep it simple stupid), for principle. I do not understand why adopt a proprietary solution when good generic does not bring disadvantages.
-To replace the battery with a spare as needed, this may seem strange, but I happen to be in places without electricity.
Moreover, the new reader with wifi/touchscreen has a duration estimated in hours not in pages with consequences on the number of charge cycles.
-Economy, with 10 euro I buy one more battery and exteral charger (for bebook one). For this reason I find a reader who not only changeable battery but a generic battery (availability + savings).

Last edited by vinniec; 04-24-2010 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
Mike_73
Guru

I can see good reasons for generic batteries, too. But I got so used to the proprietary ones, too. Every camera comes with its own battery which never fits in another camera, even if you always go with the same brand (ok, some do, but mostly it won't fit).
On the other side, just taking cameras as example, proprietary batteries mostly bring more capacity in smaller packages to the table. Well, whatever. Real user replacable batteries are not my first concern if I buy a gadget. And if it really needs to be replaced, it certainly can be replaced, somehow.
Old 04-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #10
vinniec

Perfect, the only thing I'm trying to do is get to know of this way before buying
Old 04-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #11
Mike_73
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniec View Post
Perfect, the only thing I'm trying to do is get to know of this way before buying
Sorry, I think I didn't get this completely. Do you mean you want to know how you can replace a non-replaceable battery in a gadget? If so, there are service manuals around for the 505 and 600 somewhere in the forum. You can also find some information when searching google for tear downs and such.
Old 04-25-2010, 05:09 AM   #12
vinniec

Oh no, I are in no mood for a Thorough check.
Also i seek a common battery as well replaceable.

O.t. Personally I hate the brand Sony