Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #16
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
It happened to me a few times, both on the SD card and in memory. However, since I stopped syncing with Mobipocket Desktop the issues have stopped. Also, I changed the Auto Off to "1 hr" rather than "Never" and this seems to have helped as well.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 04:55 PM   #17
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceHand View Post
It never happened to me. I use a 2 GB SanDisk SD card which never had a corrupt file system. To transfer the files I simply use my file manager (Thunar or Nautilus, I'm using Linux) and unmount the Cybook before unplugging it (more or less the same as Safely Remove Hardware on Windows).
Same experience for me. Never happened for me either and I use a 2G SanDisk Ultra II card. Of course I use cp in a shell to copy files...
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2008, 05:03 PM   #18
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ortep View Post
It only once happened to me...when the battery was flat.
It's happened to me twice for the same reason, but if I shut down and restart it works again. Haha that's pretty much my standard fix for any technical problem...
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 01:49 AM   #19
orlincho
Enthusiast
orlincho began at the beginning.

Device: Gen3(brick)/NOOK/NOKIA E52
From my experience it haapen ~10-15% of time.
You can clearly say when it will happen beacuse when there is such problem you cannot set a bookmark on current page. You try but bookmark is not set. When this happen CYBOOK also will not remember current page for current reading seesion.
NOTE: I use only internal memory of CYBOOK. For me It seems using SD card decreases overal standby time of device.
orlincho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:04 PM   #20
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
I have had it happen a few times in a couple of months of ownership. It has happened to books both on the SD card and in the device memory.

I don't sync with Mobipocket Desktop, and have not been able to discern any repeatable cause of the problem.

It's annoying, but given the low rate of occurrence, it is not a major issue for me in enjoying the Cybook.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-29-2008, 04:56 PM   #21
maurits
maurits began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook
this happens with my cybook 80% of all times.
pretty annoying I have to say.

I'll try some of the suggestions and hope either this or a software update from Bookeen will someday solve this.

other than this it's a fantastic device. I take it with me on all my travels and really love it.

Maurits
maurits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 02:21 AM   #22
Snuffi
Addict
Snuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enoughSnuffi will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Pro 612, Bookeen Cybook Gen3
It happens a lot when charge is very low (30%, which is the lowest I have seen it go before the battery runs out completely) which is probably due to it not having enough power left to write to the card. As the charge indicator is rather imprecise at/below 40% some people might experience that behaviour at "low 40%".

I have never really had that problem when the charge is at 40% or higher.
Snuffi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 PM   #23
SUSGOD
Connoisseur
SUSGOD began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre-eBook reader PRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathtoToasters View Post
How common is the not bookmarking or not remembering.... -snip-
I don't use SD or sync with Mobipocket Desktop, and I have frequent problems with bookmarks, both the bookmark I set and the automatic remember the last page when the machine times out. (I read about 3-4 hours a day in 3 - 6 sessions.)

Bookmark failure occurs at every level from 40% to 100%. Sometimes one bookmark works. I have given up attempting to use multiple bookmarks in one book, because the feature choices "Go to First, Go to Last, Go to Previous, and go to Next" result only in going to the first bookmark.

With the the automatic save, sometimes the book will reopen on the page I had stopped at in reading session PRIOR to my last session. That takes me to a page several chapters earlier than I want. It is an annoyance, because I have to jump to Table of Contents and forward pages until I get back to where I left off.

It does not seem to matter whether I return to Library or time out. I have experienced bookmark problems both ways.

Susan
SUSGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2008, 06:05 PM   #24
cmbs
non-believer
cmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enoughcmbs will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen 3, JetBook Lite
Mine happens even with a high charge on the battery. Mine happens whether the book is on a card or the cybook's memory. I do not sync with the desktop reader. These may be the explanation for some, but not all. There seems to be many reasons why this happens because many people describe different symptoms.

It happens to me every time I've been actively reading for a couple of hours or more, which is only a portion of my reading activity. It also happens sometimes when I've only been reading a short time. I try to remember to reboot every hour or so to prevent it from happening, it's a pain in the butt to have to go searching for your place.
cmbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 06:29 PM   #25
Andyjenk
Andyjenk began at the beginning.

I don't have a Cybook (yet) but are people with bookmark problems also using the mp3 player? If not, do you really need to switch it off? My understanding is that power is not used to display the text, only for the page-change refresh, so that should not be a problem. I'm sure I've seen where Bookeen said that they've left one on for weeks without "screen burn" so that shouldn't be a problem either. Does anyone leave theirs switched on?
Andyjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 03:54 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The CyBook is a computer. The screen doesn't use any power when it's simply displaying a static image but, just like any other computer, the other parts of it - the CPU, the RAM, etc - certainly use power.

You can leave it permanently switched on if you wish, certainly. A battery charge will last about 4-5 days if you do so, as opposed to (probably) several weeks if you read a couple of hours a day and switch it off after every reading session. It's entirely your choice.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:00 AM   #27
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I get the impression that it's more likely to lose bookmarks the further into a book I go.
Just wondering if that's what other people experience too.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #28
billyad2000
Enthusiast
billyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with othersbillyad2000 plays well with others

Device: Cybook Gen3
It seems like this bug is occuring too widely for Bookeen to ignore.

I hope that everyone who is having this problem is emailing them, even though they don't appear to answer many emails I suspect that they are reading them, and if enough people say the same thing then they are more likely to act.

To be honest, I must be one of the lucky ones, after a bit of trouble with this when I first received my Cybook, I changed a few things and I can honestly say that it hasn't happened a single time since. My bookmarks are always saved, and it always remembers my last page.

I have noticed a inconsistant delay when creating a bookmark, sometimes this is very quick and sometimes it takes maybe 10 seconds to save it, i'm wondering if this is a symptom of the same problem, maybe less severe.
billyad2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:07 AM   #29
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I'm happy to say ( so far ) , that my bookmarking problems seem to have gone away.

I've stopped using them ...

All I've done is take the SD card that I received from Bookeen , re-formatted it at FAT32 ( instead of FAT as was ) . For at least 3 weeks I've been blessed with my Cybook remembering each last page read , with 3 different books currently on the go .

I've not used mobipocket reader in an awfully long time , I've stored my e-books in a totally different folder on my computer , and download all my e-books directly to that .

Needless to say I always use " remove hardware safely " .
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 09:09 AM   #30
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
I've stopped swearing at my Cybook , as well , so perhaps it's now a happy book ......
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote