Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 03-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #1
spirits
Connoisseur
spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.spirits has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle
Will our "rekindled" reading habit fade as time goes by?

So far, I've also read a lot more than usual after getting the Kindle. It's soo much fun just to fiddle with it! The ability to check dictionary, and the highlight feature... are simply amazing!

From what I've read in this forum, many people also found themselves reading a lot more than they would have if they didn't have the Kindle.

So a prediction of yourself: do you think your reading frequency will return "normal" as time goes by?
spirits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 10:39 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 505 and I read a lot before I got it. So my habits aren't really changing. Just my source changed overall.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2008, 11:35 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
as long as there is material interesting to read
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
ProfJulie
Evangelist
ProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-booksProfJulie has learned how to read e-books

Device: whatever
My reading habits have always ebbed and flowed so I don't see that changing much. But now that I have such a portable way to carry books around, I think I will be a more consistent reader.
ProfJulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I was always a voracious reader, that's one of the reasons a $300 dedicated reading device makes sense to me. Getting a Reader didn't change that, and I don't see it changing just because I have a Reader for some time (going on 19 months now ).
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One thing I've certainly found is that having a good dictionary instantly available on my CyBook makes me look up the meaning of all sorts of words that I otherwise wouldn't have bothered doing, which is very useful when reading older books, which have a lot of "technical vocabulary" to do with areas like horse-drawn transport which have fallen out of use. Eg, previously I would have just accepted that a "Chaise" and a "Phaeton" were both types of horse-drawn carriage - now I'd look them up to find out what the difference actually is.

[In case you were wondering, a "chaise" is a light-weight 2-wheel open carriage for one or two people, drawn by 1 horse (the kind of thing you drove around the park in on a Sunday afternoon; a "phaeton" is a larger 4-wheel open carriage drawn by a pair of horses.]
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 12:49 PM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
For me, personally, it don't believe it'll make a great deal of difference. I find it tiring to read anything long on a PC screen - so a dedicated reader would probably just replace the cellulose. Certainly as HarryT says, I will probably use a dictionary search, to enhance the reading experience.

I am a fairly regular reader and from what I can see there is more than sufficient quantity of novels available to keep me happy for a very long time.
Indeed because of the vast array of 'free-books' available I am likely to find I am reading books that I may not have even considered when looking at p-backs etc.

Only thing I may not be able to do, is read in the bath , though I notice a few waterproof options on some threads !!
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 01:56 PM   #8
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
I read a bit more because it's easier to have something I want to read with me at all times. I don't have that wait time between books I used to have if I didn't have something else waiting for me to read. I can get another book right away rather than waiting for a trip to the library, bookstore or Amazon shipping. Maybe I read a little longer at night because my hands don't get tired like they did holding up a large book. It's easier to get comfortable with a small, light device than with a heavy book. I think I may be reading just a tiny bit faster, too. All in all, it's not a huge change in the amount I read but in the convenience and quality of the experience.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #9
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One thing I've certainly found is that having a good dictionary instantly available on my CyBook makes me look up the meaning of all sorts of words that I otherwise wouldn't have bothered doing, which is very useful when reading older books, which have a lot of "technical vocabulary" to do with areas like horse-drawn transport which have fallen out of use.
I agree completely, Harry. I also find more words in the classics that puzzle me. It has always been my habit when reading, ever since I was a kid, to have a dictionary handy. Great way to increase vocabulary.

Amusingly, on the old Rocket eBook, which has a dictionary, it was a bit sparse. Almost every time I found a word I was unsure of, the dictionary did not know it either. Stupid dictionary.

In any case, the one on the Kindle is very good, and am quite pleased with it. If and when Amazon makes an even more comprehensive one available, I'll probably get that.

Last edited by KlondikeGeoff; 03-05-2008 at 06:50 PM.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:15 PM   #10
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
I don't think I've read any more or any less since I got my Kindle last month. *What* I've read is a bit different, though. My Kindle arrived at my home in Texas on 12 February -- I arrived home from the UK on the 16th and opened the package on the morning of the 17th. I had finished reading The Collectors by David Baldacci on the flight home, so I immediately purchased the sequel (Stone Cold) to test out ordering & delivery over the Whispernet feature. I also figured that reading a highly desired book would allow me to fairly evaluate the experience of the device. Since finishing Stone Cold, I've read 5 paper books and 2 eBooks, one of which I purchased from Amazon. I've also started 4 different eBooks and I've purchased books from Webscriptions and Steve Jordan. I have a long wish list, but I've also been loading up the Kindle with eBooks downloaded from here, Feedbooks, Munsey's, and Baen. I really want to acquire the backlist of all my favorite authors since I've given away most of the paper books in the interest of space in the house.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
Tchadwick
Tchadwick began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Reading fade...

Reading Fade....
I doupt it!
The main reason I got my Kindle, was savings.
My wife closed acounts out at the end of year 2007.
She found that I averaged $175 amonth on books.
I bought the Kindle and am now on a $100 a month.
If I stick to my budget, then the Kindle will pay for it self, I will see a savings and maybe I get to read MORE!!!!
Tchadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:17 PM   #12
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
When I get into a good book I generally don't put it down no matter what, but at least this way I'll have more of a life and get out of the house to read when I have a giant hardcover that just won't fit in my purse.

I also think it'll encourage me to try a greater variety of authors, and catch up on some classics I've never read. Since I'm a student and don't have a lot of disposable income I often wander the bookstore, seriously consider about ten different books, get scared that they won't be good, and then leave. I'm hoping my Cybook will get me into trying new books more often, and I think it will
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #13
Halk
Fanatic
Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Halk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 (PRS+ alpha - thanks Kartu!)
I listen to a lot of audio books at the moment, however it's a limited media since only very popular books are available for audio book. Part of the reason for buying an eBook reader is to get back to reading books. I never did like the delay of ordering a book, nor do I like having to be in the house for when it gets delivered. There are of course book shops, but I don't like my local WH Smiths or whatever, the selection is poor, it's really just bestsellers and chewing gum for the brain type books, so it's a 10 mile trip to the nearest "proper" book shop, which puts me off. Then of course there's the annoyance of other people seeing what I'm reading. The idea of sitting on a plane reading http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fatherland-R...5113244&sr=1-3 with everybody else looking on thinking "Nazi nutter!" doesn't appeal.
Halk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #14
binzer
Zealot
binzer doesn't litterbinzer doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halk View Post
The idea of sitting on a plane reading http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fatherland-R...5113244&sr=1-3 with everybody else looking on thinking "Nazi nutter!" doesn't appeal.
Haha, I probably wouldn't even be comfortable going through airport security with that, nevermind reading it infront of people :P
binzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:36 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by binzer View Post
Haha, I probably wouldn't even be comfortable going through airport security with that, nevermind reading it infront of people :P
You're kidding, I hope? "Fatherland" is a wonderful book - well worth reading!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote