Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-22-2011, 08:04 AM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Be very cautious with installing non-Amazon approved Android apps.

I saw this warning today:

"Security researchers are sounding warning about the speed at which Android malware is growing, thanks to how easy it is to post an application on the Android Market."

Here is the link:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/An...Market-576315/
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #2
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I saw this warning today:

"Security researchers are sounding warning about the speed at which Android malware is growing, thanks to how easy it is to post an application on the Android Market."

Here is the link:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/An...Market-576315/

Wow. This being from the official Android Market. Like MAC OS, Android was previously pretty secure and not prone to attack. I guess when you become popular it is only a matter of time. I often wonder if the Malware makers and the Security companies are one in the same. Many companies are now trying to hire them and even the government is getting in on the action. If you can't beat them, join them.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/...7701KK20110802
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
Its grown 472% This is why I'd prefer to go through the amazon appstore.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
Its grown 472% This is why I'd prefer to go through the amazon appstore.

I think some other App Stores like Slideme, GetJar, Handango, Opera Mobile Store, 1Mobile, and Freeware Lovers are relatively safe seeing how they don't allow users to post Apps like the Android Market. I have never used the Android Market (my other tablets are locked out of it) so I was surprised to learn they allow users to post Apps. I did not know this until I read this story.

I agree you can't go wrong with the Amazon App Store which does the same as those I mentioned.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 PM   #5
TechnoCat
Zealot
TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'TechnoCat gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: Kindle Fire
There have been some problems, but seriously, believing "472%" reflects on the believers logic-and-math more than on Android.

First off, it's from a anti-virus firm, and yet competing firm McAfee claims only 37% in the last quarter. And most reports acknowledge that most malware is from warez/pirate sites, not the marketplaces.

The first Android 1.0 phone, the HTC Dream (TMobile G1) was released end of October 2008. For those of you who worry about the 472%, that means three years one month ago there were zero Android phones or tablets.

37 months later, the last quarter (July-Sept 2011) saw 60,490 Android phones purchased in the U.S. (i.e. over two thousand a day) , and over 200 million activated Android devices. Both are a huge increase over 0. Or even 1 or 20.

37 months ago, there were zero apps. Today there are approximately 300,000.

472% every 16 month period, assuming a start of one malware as the first app (cuz otherwise you get infinity) only gives you a few under 125 anyhow. (Since they don't report the count, that's as good a number as any.) And the marketplaces are constantly scrubbed for those.

Stay on any reputable marketplace and you'll be fairly safe. You wouldn't download a shady copy of MS Office from a Warez, why do the same thing with your Android device?
TechnoCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2011, 12:33 PM   #6
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoCat View Post
There have been some problems, but seriously, believing "472%" reflects on the believers logic-and-math more than on Android.

First off, it's from a anti-virus firm, and yet competing firm McAfee claims only 37% in the last quarter. And most reports acknowledge that most malware is from warez/pirate sites, not the marketplaces.

The first Android 1.0 phone, the HTC Dream (TMobile G1) was released end of October 2008. For those of you who worry about the 472%, that means three years one month ago there were zero Android phones or tablets.

37 months later, the last quarter (July-Sept 2011) saw 60,490 Android phones purchased in the U.S. (i.e. over two thousand a day) , and over 200 million activated Android devices. Both are a huge increase over 0. Or even 1 or 20.

37 months ago, there were zero apps. Today there are approximately 300,000.

472% every 16 month period, assuming a start of one malware as the first app (cuz otherwise you get infinity) only gives you a few under 125 anyhow. (Since they don't report the count, that's as good a number as any.) And the marketplaces are constantly scrubbed for those.

Stay on any reputable marketplace and you'll be fairly safe. You wouldn't download a shady copy of MS Office from a Warez, why do the same thing with your Android device?
<sarcasm>You are too reasonable. I prefer paranoia.</sarcasm>
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Just read the feedback first on any app you install and you should be okay. It will usually tell you if something is wrong with it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #8
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyluis View Post
This is why I'd prefer to go through the amazon appstore.
It's not without its drawbacks:

Quote:
This is actually made worse by Amazon's curated approach to apps. Android already lags Apple's app ecosystem by a considerable margin, but most of the big, brand-name apps I use are also available for Android. Except not on the Kindle Fire. Amazon has yet to bless many of them, and it's difficult to impossible for a mainstream user to install such apps. In some cases, like Google's apps, Amazon appears to be deliberately excluding them. In others, it probably hasn't gotten around to approving them yet.
Source
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:38 PM   #9
weatherman
Addict
weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.weatherman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (previous: Kindle 2, Kindle Fire) Kindle 4 WiFi, K3K, KPW
I personally am sticking with the Amazon App Store as much as I can. It's frustrating to see apps that I want out there, but I think the advantage is knowing that if I get it from Amazon it's going to work and I won't have to worry too much about virus or crashes, and also the fact that it will stay up to date through the native app management. I don't know if that happens with the other app stores, and one of the least fun things to do is to track down the latest version all the time just to make sure you're up to date.

There will be a large explosion of apps in the Amazon Store pretty soon I imagine - lots between now and x-mas as most developers start to realize that there is a market of millions of devices now (millions more, that is, than were already using the Amazon App Store) that people will be opening up on x-mas day and buying tons of apps. Those apps that are already in the store are probably raking it in - the calengoo app for instance must be doing very well, since the Fire doesn't have a calendar and his product is a top-rated one.
weatherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:41 PM   #10
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The problem is alot of Amazon store apps are outdated like ES File Explorer on there is seriously outdated as well as File Expert.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You're right about the outdated stuff. When I get notification on my Sony Tablet that there's an update for an app (Android Market), I install it, then upload it to Dropbox to install on the Fire.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 03:50 PM   #12
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
You're right about the outdated stuff. When I get notification on my Sony Tablet that there's an update for an app (Android Market), I install it, then upload it to Dropbox to install on the Fire.

For those who don't have access to the Android Market (like me, heck I don't even own a cellphone), 1Mobile has a Market App which does an excellent job of providing App update notices for most free Apps installed via the Amazon App Store. No searching around for updates because 1Mobile lets you know automatically when there are updates for many popular Apps. 1Mobile does not require a user account .

1Mobile: http://www.1mobile.com/

http://www.1mobile.com/1mobile-market-79873.html

1Mobile can also be downloaded from CNET:

http://download.cnet.com/1-Mobile-Ma...-75450771.html

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-22-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
For those who don't have access to the Android Market, 1 Mobile has an excellent store App which does a real good job of providing App update notices, including updates for Apps installed via the Amazon App Store. No user account is required. Try it and see how old your Apps are.

1 Mobile: http://www.1mobile.com/

http://www.1mobile.com/1mobile-market-79873.html

http://download.cnet.com/1-Mobile-Ma...-75450771.html
Thanks! We need a thread for legit Android sites that have direct download to PC. I think this would help others out alot.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:12 PM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Thanks! We need a thread for legit Android sites that have direct download to PC. I think this would help others out alot.

I'll start one. Feel free to share any good site you have used.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-22-2011 at 05:34 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:21 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I'll start one. Feel free to share any good site you have used.
All of them other then SlideME I got from you.
So thanks for letting us know about them.

I've always used the Official Market on my phone or Amazon App Store.