Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Smart Punctuation v7.38, quick questions

I was just reading the Changelog for v7.38 and saw
"Smarten punctuation: Convert double dashes to em dashes. Preprocessing: Various tweaks"

I thought double dashes had always been converted. Have I got the wrong end of the stick?

As I thought this was a 3rd-party add-on I didn't realise it was possible to ask for enhancements. If we can, would it be possible to broaden the list of char strings which get translated to the horizontal ellipsis. As far as I understand it's currently just ... (dotdotdot). I have seen many books with . . . (dot space dot space dot), especially TXT scans. If it's do-able I'd be quite happy to raise a ticket.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You'd have to ask ldolse about the dashes, that was his change. Sure you can ask for enhancements to the feature (it is a 3rd party addon, but the addon is open source, so we can make changes to it).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 12:26 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I'll raise the ticket.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:21 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
It was something I saw that was done during markdown conversion (and liked it) but markdown conversion only applies to txt. I figured the appropriate place to make that sort of change was if the user enabled the smarten_punctuation checkbox.

In a similar vein the same checkin also converts ellipsis which are three dots - '. . .' or '...' - to the ellipsis entity, as another user had complained about ebook renderers wrapping lines in the middle of an ellipsis.

Both would probably make sense in the actual smartypants library, but since I don't maintain that library I didn't stick it there, it's just in Calibre's code. Other tweaks can be done easily, as Kovid noted.

Edit - I didn't read the second half of your request til after I wrote the part about the ellipsis - anyway, a happy coincidence.

Last edited by ldolse; 01-08-2011 at 01:27 PM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@Idolse,

That's great. Thanks for anticipating my request . I haven't been able to try v7.38 yet because when I tried to download it was so slow I had to cancel. I'll try later.
Advert
Old 01-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You can download it from sourceforge.net if google is slow.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 04:25 PM   #7
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Thank you, I didn't realise that, my ignorance knows no bounds. It's downloading properly now.