Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 10-18-2009, 06:44 AM   #46
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
aïe. knowing what i know about mobi format (and having previously tried to make a mobipocket version of this book, with deplorable results), i don't even want to know how that turned out. i guess whatever happens with the images, you'll still have the text, though.

Okay, I'l be honest - I've not viewed it through my Gen3, yet - but it looks good on Calibre viewer and also Mobireader - text and images too .....

Great job ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 PM   #47
thanhFF
thanhFF began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 600
Thanks

Thanks.
I had my PRS600 yesterday. I will try this book with this
thanhFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #48
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i hope you enjoy it, thanhff.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:11 PM   #49
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thanks for this Zelda! Looking forward to reading it as well as learning from the epub work!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:14 PM   #50
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

it's a brilliant story, kenny. enjoy it ! and if you're interested in learning about epub i recommend also jellby's epubs as stellar examples of How It's Done.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:47 PM   #51
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
it's a brilliant story, kenny. enjoy it ! and if you're interested in learning about epub i recommend also jellby's epubs as stellar examples of How It's Done.

Thanks, I'll check those out as well.

Not sure how serious I'm going to get but someone sure as heck needs to get The Sound and the Fury into Epub and I'm thinking of giving it a shot.
Old 10-25-2009, 04:49 PM   #52
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Thanks, I'll check those out as well.

Not sure how serious I'm going to get but someone sure as heck needs to get The Sound and the Fury into Epub and I'm thinking of giving it a shot.
well, you've got my heartfelt encouragement in that endeavour. it's not actually that hard, you'll see. just shout if you get stuck. you know about sigil, right ?
Old 10-25-2009, 04:54 PM   #53
PennyPie
Cocoa & Toast...mmmmmm...
PennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheesePennyPie can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone
Thanks for the beautiful book! I don't have a CLUE as how it's done, but I certainly shall enjoy reading this...so much more for the eye than the plain work we usually get. The story may be the 'gift', but the 'wrapping' makes it ever so much more a treat!
PennyPie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:55 PM   #54
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PennyPie View Post
Thanks for the beautiful book! I don't have a CLUE as how it's done, but I certainly shall enjoy reading this...so much more for the eye than the plain work we usually get. The story may be the 'gift', but the 'wrapping' makes it ever so much more a treat!
thank you for the kind words ! i feel the same way. enjoy it !
Old 10-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #55
kennyc

Quote:
well, you've got my heartfelt encouragement in that endeavour. it's not actually that hard, you'll see. just shout if you get stuck. you know about sigil, right ?
Yep, just downloaded it and I've got the Internet Archive pdf and epub and text versions of the book the epub/text versions are in pretty bad shape though - wasn't a very good OCR I don't think.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:08 PM   #56
zelda_pinwheel

that sounds like everything you could need to get started. good luck !
Old 10-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #57
kennyc

Quote:
ha, okay. that would certainly fix it. still an odd bug. are you using an old version of calibre ? if no, you should report that to kovid. since Frederics is defined as the "illustrator" and not the "author" in the meta-data, his name shouldn't appear instead of Jerome.
I just noticed this as well. Everything looks fine in Calibre, on my Aztak and even on the kindle2 in mobi format (well sort of).....but the Sony 505 apparently is scanning the text and assigning the author as A. Fredriks.

when I added a "by" before Jerome and removed the "by" before A. Fredricks it then shows the correct author on the Sony 505 listing.....very weird that it would do this instead of using the meta info which is correct.
Old 11-10-2009, 12:16 PM   #58
cian
Enthusiast
cian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enoughcian will become famous soon enough

Device: sony prs505
Hi Zelda,
this is a beautiful book. Out of curiosity where did you find the lovely letters that you use to start each chapter? I'm coding a book of my own for similar reasons, and those letters would be perfect for it.
cian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 10:14 PM   #59
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cian View Post
Hi Zelda,
this is a beautiful book. Out of curiosity where did you find the lovely letters that you use to start each chapter? I'm coding a book of my own for similar reasons, and those letters would be perfect for it.
hi cian, i'm so glad you like the book. all the illustrations are from the 1909 british edition, including the illuminated capitals. many of them illustrate scenes from the chapter.

if you want to create a similar effect, you can find fonts with decorative capitals on dafont.com ; take a look in the "initials" category for instance. you can either make an image of the letter you need, or embed the font directly. be sure to check the font licence ; many of the fonts are free and can be distributed, but not all of them.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:49 AM   #60
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Apart from being a cracking good book, your efforts to create this ePub version are outstanding! Maybe you will turn your ePub arts to creating a version of Three men On The Brummel?

Can you give a quick summary of what tools you use to create your ePubs?

I am a big FB2 fan, and to be honest this ePub book is the first one that looks decent on my BeBook (Hanlin V3). A lot of the problem is the reader implementation itself, but if publishers put half your effort into creating their ePubs, then perhaps most of the currently available ePub ebooks out there wouldn't look like crap on the reader. Perhaps it's what you get used to, but for displaying on the Hanlin FB2 (CoolReader) is far superior to ePub.

But as I said, this ePub eBook is just outstanding - well done, great effort and many thanks!!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote