Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #1
chirprc
chirprc began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-300, Kindle (2nd Gen), Nook
Where to find libraries with downloadable ebooks?

Hopefully this is the right place for this post. I am trying to convince my mom that an ereader is worth it (I just bought her one here for Christmas)...but need to point out the advantages to make her think she wants one (I have three).... Where do I find a library that she can download books to her Sony Reader? Normal fiction books, or hobby topic books....not tech manuals.... Any assistance would be appreciated....oh yeah, we are in the US too (if that makes a difference at this point).....
chirprc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirprc View Post
Hopefully this is the right place for this post. I am trying to convince my mom that an ereader is worth it (I just bought her one here for Christmas)...but need to point out the advantages to make her think she wants one (I have three).... Where do I find a library that she can download books to her Sony Reader? Normal fiction books, or hobby topic books....not tech manuals.... Any assistance would be appreciated....oh yeah, we are in the US too (if that makes a difference at this point).....
First, look at your local library, that you have a card for. The online site will show if they have ebooks, and in what format. For the Sony, you would want the epub format.

Then look here........many libraries are no longer offering out of state cards, even for a fee. Good luck!

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBook_Lending_Libraries
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Overdrive is the company that Sony has partnered with for their library efforts. They've put up a library finder site here.
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 01:45 PM   #4
chirprc

Ok...I looked at the one nearest us and it shows a lot of them in Mobipocket and Adobe PDF....how do I make them convert to get them onto the reader?
Old 09-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

The PDF ones are readable directly on the Sonys, but they are far from an optimal solution. The best thing to do is get in touch with the library and ask that they add ePub support, too. My local library system currently only does PDF and Mobipocket, and I've let them know I'd like ePub. They are currently "considering" it.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:40 PM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
The PDF ones are readable directly on the Sonys,
Not on the 500 they aren't.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Not on the 500 they aren't.
True. But I'm also assuming that the OP didn't "just buy" a 500 to give to his mother for christmas.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:18 PM   #8
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
True. But I'm also assuming that the OP didn't "just buy" a 500 to give to his mother for christmas.
Don't know, he didn't say. I just remembered him looking to buy a 500 recently so figured I should throw it out there.
Old 09-15-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Don't know, he didn't say. I just remembered him looking to buy a 500 recently so figured I should throw it out there.
Fair enough. In that case, yes, the limitations of the 500 should be mentioned.
Old 09-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #10
chirprc

I do have a 500...and I know that it has limits...but I didn't realize it didn't do PDF's. However, I also just got two 505's on on here (one for me for an upgrade and one for my mom for a gift)....thanks for the heads up! I also have the Kindle app on the iPod which is good in a pinch!
Old 09-15-2009, 04:46 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chirprc View Post
I do have a 500...and I know that it has limits...but I didn't realize it didn't do PDF's. However, I also just got two 505's on on here (one for me for an upgrade and one for my mom for a gift)....thanks for the heads up! I also have the Kindle app on the iPod which is good in a pinch!
Your 500 will do non-DRM PDF's, just not ones with DRM (like from the library). The 505's you picked up will do the DRM'd PDF's that libraries offer just fine, although it's not the best format the Sony does IMO.