Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
*Carly*
*Carly* began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Please help me decide on a replacement for my beloved Sony PRS 650

Hi guys! Well my much loved 650s screen went haywire and after spending 2 hours having a row in Curry's, they have finally agreed to send me a cheque, as they had nothing I wanted to replace it with.

I can't decide what to replace it with though. All the reader's available in the UK at the moment seem cheap and too restricting. I don't really want to hack a device in order to read epubs and I played with the T2 in store yesterday, it felt cheap and just wasn't as nice or intuitive to use as the 650.

I've got a mix of 1600 books in epub, pdf and txt files, all perfectly numbered in their correct order and dutifully sorted into 200 or so collections. I've set Calibre up so that when I send to device, it uses the series metadata I've created to put it straight into the correct collection. Everything is fully backed up and ready to be sent to a new machine. I'm not sure how the collections feature works on other devices though and it is extremely important to me, as I read a lot of series and without having them neatly organised into collections it would be extremely hard to navigate through them all.

My other concern is backlight v no back light v tablet/lcd. I read for long periods of time and have really bad eyes to begin with. I've always avoided anything with a backlight as I assume they wouldn't be comfortable to use for long periods of time. I was browsing tablets, but the battery life on them all seems abysmal, plus none are as small as my 650 and they're all pretty heavy. I also like to read in the sun pretty much any time the sun comes out, so I need something that will work brilliantly in those conditions too.

I've already spent a small fortune on my 650, £200 for the machine, £25 for the SD card, £45 for the lighted case, $15 or so for my custom vinyl skin and £89 for extended warranty. Over £360 and all I'm getting back is my original £200. I know I should probably get over it and get the T2, but after spending all that money it feels like a massive downgrade. I really disliked it when I saw it yesterday.

I'm sorry to waffle on, I'm just so upset. I can't find anything comparable to the 650 and they are getting impossible to find now. I spent months researching devices before deciding it was the perfect one for me. I don't really fancy spending £100++ on ebay for ex display models with scratches and missing the stylus. Damn Curry's took everything from me, so I've not got the cable or stylus any more either.

I'm right in the middle of a book, which I can't read now except on my laptop! Please help me decide on something to replace it with, I'm driving myself mad here.
*Carly* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:58 AM   #2
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
The natural progression is obviously the T2, but you are far from the only Sony owner who doesn't like the 'upgrade' from the 350/650/950 series to the T1/T2.

You could maybe consider a used 650 from ebay instead of focusing on factory refurbished/ex-display models as you should be able to pick one up for less than £50.

Another option (though not quite as good as it means your lighted case, SD card etc are of no use) is to try the 350. Smaller screen obviously but I'd imagine it should work pretty much as your 650 did? I bought a refurbished one from Morgan Computers last year and it's been fine. They used to have 650's available but they all show as out of stock now, but they do have a silver 350 showing as in stock for £35 delivered - here.

Another option altogether is to consider trying something like the Kobo Glo, it'll probably take a bit of getting used to, but it's worth having a look at one in your nearest WH Smith if possible. Though if you don't like the T2, possibly none of the new ereaders will be that attractive to you.

Last edited by soulfuldog; 01-05-2013 at 11:01 AM.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #3
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Check the MR Flea Market I think there are a few Sony for sale.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/for...ysprune=&f=124
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
*Carly*
*Carly* began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Thank you both! I didn't even see the flea market section, although currently there's nothing for sale that I'm looking for. I'm currently hunting through ebay and trying to find a good condition second hand one. The 350 is pretty much exactly the same same as the 650, just smaller. I read in large print though and there's just not enough space on the 350's screen, that is an absolutely amazing price though! Sadly my cover is busted too, absolutely gutted as they are almost impossible to find these days. I had an accident which broke the cover (whilst in my handbag) and then the screen of my device went about 10 days later. I think I'd be happy with either another 650 or maybe the T1, as the T1 atleast doesn't have those horrid shaped buttons. Wish me luck!
*Carly* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:36 PM   #5
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
Yes, I would get the T2
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:00 PM   #6
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
If you replace the 650 with another 650, I would check out eBay for a cover. I have the 350 and by the time I brought it, Sony and stores with the Sony Reader were selling covers for the T1. I found a nice, inexpensive cover for my 350 on eBay. eBay was the only place that had covers for it. It does a nice job of protecting it.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #7
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I would check out eBay as well for a used 650 since you think the 350 is too small for you. Just verify that the screen is not damaged (no scratches or gouges), and that the stylus is intact and included. There are good deals out there for them.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
I just went through the same thing with my Sony 505. I did not like the T2, so I went off the deep end and bought the Kindle. It was cheap and feels cheap, but the screen is better than my 505 and for my tired old eyes it works well.

The Sony lasted me for 4 and a half years, the Kindle probably won't last a year. Has anybody else had experience with the plain jane Kindle?

My project now is to convert all the books I have into mobi.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #9
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I don't own a Kindle but there are lots of Kindle users here who have had various models of the Kindle for years. Still, if you want something that feels more sturdy, looking on eBay for a Sony 350/650/750 is probably your best bet.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by acprinter View Post
I just went through the same thing with my Sony 505. I did not like the T2, so I went off the deep end and bought the Kindle. It was cheap and feels cheap, but the screen is better than my 505 and for my tired old eyes it works well.

The Sony lasted me for 4 and a half years, the Kindle probably won't last a year. Has anybody else had experience with the plain jane Kindle?

My project now is to convert all the books I have into mobi.
I think the Kindle should go in the fleamarket and the T2 should be your reader. You'll like the screen and if your eBooks are ePub, you won't have to convert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:57 PM   #11
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Like I said, I do not like the T2.

Also if one follows the investing news very much, Sony is in deep trouble.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My suggestion is to read on a tablet and wait and see what new models become available by the end of the year.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:29 AM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
The T1 is great. You should see what they are going for on ebay. Or do what JS said and wait. I think a lot of us are hopeful that the next Sony reader will be lighted.

I'd like to see my T1 with more rounded corners, HD screen, and front light. Otherwise, it's perfect!
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 06:53 PM   #14
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
T2 ia a pretty nice reader. How about a T3? Alternatively pick up a Nook ST cheap from Argos. Its a good reader but really you need to root it to unleash its power. I am posting this message from it.

Unfortunately no ereader will give you that quality feel of the 650. The closest thing is the Aura HD. It has a nice screen and light and works well with calibre and accepts epub. I think it can also be rooted too.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #15
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Seeing that the T3 or Aura HD were a long way from being out when the OP started the thread, the T2 was a good choice at the time.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote