Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #1
r1ngx
r1ngx began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Please Help: Kindle 2 version stuck at 2.0.2 + SS 0.4

I have uninstalled the hack. I have even done a factory restore of my kindle 2 but it still refuses to update. halfway thru the update it stops and says "unsuccessful".. I have manually tried to update to 2.0.3, same thing. not working. even after factory restore, version is showing 2.0.2 + SS 0.4 ..

Help Please. Thanks!
r1ngx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:13 AM   #2
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Device: Kindle 2
If it shows the " + SS 0.4" tag, then you never uninstalled the hack. Or else you were using some other hack as well that didn't handle the version file properly.

Uninstall the hack, and then update.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
r1ngx

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarknova View Post
If it shows the " + SS 0.4" tag, then you never uninstalled the hack. Or else you were using some other hack as well that didn't handle the version file properly.

Uninstall the hack, and then update.
I have put the file update_kindle2_restore_default_screen_savers.bin into the root and restarted. this is all thats requires to uninstall correct? the screensaver is the only hack I installed that I know of.

thanks.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
clarknova
Addict
clarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with othersclarknova plays well with others

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1ngx View Post
I have put the file update_kindle2_restore_default_screen_savers.bin into the root and restarted. this is all thats requires to uninstall correct? the screensaver is the only hack I installed that I know of.

thanks.
You need to actually run the update, not just restart.
clarknova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Yes, you need to "Update My Kindle" with that .bin file there.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-27-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
r1ngx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Yes, you need to "Update My Kindle" with that .bin file there.
I have tried this also.. still no go. Amazon Kindle IT has referred it to their DEV guys because they couldnt solve the problem.. Shouldnt a factory reset totally clean it back down to where it was? that doesnt even work
Old 06-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #7
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Quote:
I have tried this also.. still no go. Amazon Kindle IT has referred it to their DEV guys because they couldnt solve the problem.. Shouldnt a factory reset totally clean it back down to where it was? that doesnt even work
No, a factory reset doesn't change the firmware.

When you say "no go", what exactly happens when you copy the uninstall.bin and Update Your Kindle?

I would re-download the 0.4 zip and make sure the uninstall .bin you have is not corrupted.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:21 AM   #8
r1ngx

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
No, a factory reset doesn't change the firmware.

When you say "no go", what exactly happens when you copy the uninstall.bin and Update Your Kindle?

I would re-download the 0.4 zip and make sure the uninstall .bin you have is not corrupted.
thanks. it must have been a corrupted .bin.. I re-downloaded and everything worked as it should have. Thanks again for your help.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #9
snakestrike
snakestrike began at the beginning.

[QUOTE=r1ngx;503716]I have put the file update_kindle2_restore_default_screen_savers.bin into the root and restarted. this is all thats requires to uninstall correct? the screensaver is the only hack I installed that I know of.

Can you please get me that bin file? My email is shivkumar.abhishek@gmail.com Thanks!
snakestrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 01:10 PM   #10
snakestrike

Quote:
thanks. it must have been a corrupted .bin.. I re-downloaded and everything worked as it should have. Thanks again for your help.
Can you post the link for the download for the zip file? I cant find it. Thanks!
Old 07-05-2010, 01:21 PM   #11
snakestrike

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakestrike View Post
Can you post the link for the download for the zip file? I cant find it. Thanks!
Never mind people. I uninstalled successfully. And if you need it, here is the uninstall file.
Attached Files
File Type: bin Update_kindle2_restore_default_screen_savers.bin (720 Bytes, 243 views)