Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-23-2007, 07:01 PM   #151
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
If you can't feel those tiny buttons your girlfriend must be very lonely!
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:35 PM   #152
ScottPhil
ScottPhil began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
USB Charging

I bought a Zap universal battery pack to charge my plethora of portable toys when I'm on the road. It came with interchangeable tips for my phone, mp3, and pmp. In addition to charging USB devices, it is also able to charge DC devices from 5-11 volts and comes with a tip to charge my PRS-500. One added bonus is it came with a USB cable that I can plug the 500's tip into, allowing me to charge it from any USB port, since it plugs into the reader's DC jack.
ScottPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-28-2007, 11:13 PM   #153
Andy Baird
Andy Baird began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Folks, my PRS-500 appears to be frozen.

I hadn't used it in a couple of months, since getting a PRS-505, and when I looked at it I found a message indicating that the battery had expired. There was also some display garbage on the screen.

I plugged the unit into a USB port for a few hours to recharge it, and when I disconnected, I saw the usual "Starting up..." screen. But that's as far as it got. No controls work, and the reset button in back is ignored. When it's plugged back into the conputer, the DocuDesk PRS Browser (Mac software required to use a PRS-500) says there's no reader connected.

It's been this way for hours--still displaying the "Starting up..." screen--and nothing I do will make it respond. Since the battery isn't removable, I can't power-cycle it. Before I resort to disassembly, does anybody have any suggestions to jog this thing out of its coma?
Andy Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 07:23 AM   #154
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
try charging overnight with a psp charger rather than usb.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2007, 03:30 PM   #155
Andy Baird
Andy Baird began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
"try charging overnight with a psp charger rather than usb."

Thanks, Stustuff! I had completely forgotten: page 16 of the PRS-500 manual warns that when the battery is seriously depleted, you can't charge via USB. Duh! It's working now. :-)

My apologies for not posting this in the troubleshooting folder, by the way.
Andy Baird is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2007, 05:43 AM   #156
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Good news Andy
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 03:40 AM   #157
itry
itry began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq
PRS 500 Battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Baird View Post
"try charging overnight with a psp charger rather than usb."

Thanks, Stustuff! I had completely forgotten: page 16 of the PRS-500 manual warns that when the battery is seriously depleted, you can't charge via USB. Duh! It's working now. :-)

My apologies for not posting this in the troubleshooting folder, by the way.
I found this out too. But why does the battery go flat when not used? Seems to take only a few days from full to flat. I assumed longer life.
itry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #158
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
The reason is that the Reader isn't really off when it's "off" but rather in a sleep/suspend mode. Everything's cranked way down, but it still uses power, so it eventually drains the battery.

If you know ahead of time you're not going to be using it for a while, you can prevent most of that drainage by resetting it (the pinhole on the back) or if you have a 505, you can use the "full off" option in the utilities menu.

That's the short answer, if you want the long one it's posted around here in a number of places.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 PM   #159
tgharold
Enthusiast
tgharold began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Or at least remove any memory cards before letting it sit in sleep mode for a week or two.

Leaving the memory cards in seems to be the biggest "gotcha" for battery life, based on experiences here in the forums.
tgharold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:07 AM   #160
itry
itry began at the beginning.

Device: HP Ipaq
Thanks to you all. I do leave the memory card in. I will try the reset button too.
itry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 05:39 PM   #161
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Red face Height of Laziness

I bought a u-shaped neck pillow that they sell at the airport (small beanbag). The opening is perfect for proping the Reader up in bed - with the cover open - I can read with both hands tucked under the warm covers! I've tried to devise a way to prop my book open for years, with no luck.

Ah - perfect!
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 08:12 PM   #162
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I bought a u-shaped neck pillow that they sell at the airport (small beanbag). The opening is perfect for proping the Reader up in bed - with the cover open - I can read with both hands tucked under the warm covers! I've tried to devise a way to prop my book open for years, with no luck.

Ah - perfect!
Unfortunately one would need the dreamed of remote control to keep one's hands warmly under the covers.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:10 AM   #163
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Tatatata... So much effort for nuffin'

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19418
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 09:20 AM   #164
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Why would you build one yourself (well unless you enjoyed the process of course), if you can buy almost an identical one such as:
Book chair

As far as I can see there are plastic chairs as well.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:59 AM   #165
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Mmmmmm... nothing to do with what you show. The DIY bookchair is far more stable when poised on your belly in bed or sitting. The design is simple yet much more ergonomic than these stright rod based stands. It frees your hand and allows for a decent amount of freedom of movement without falling. The little curve on the base of the DIY fits your body curve and holds.

Probably the biggest difference is that it rotates the reader so, when you lie sidewards, the text lines are always parallel to your eye line. You always keep the relative position between your eyes and the reader, whatever your position.

I have been using mine for months (made the 1st prototype two days after I got my reader) and I don't even remove the Reader from the stand. When I a m not reading, it is like a picture frame. I just made a cloth cover to prevent it from gathering dust when not in use.

And if you do it yourself, the materials cost is below 6€ for sure (that is a guess, I made it from leftovers and cost me nothing, xcept the sticky velvet). You can produce one in an evening, and even though you don't get it perfect, it will work alright.

I have been working on a "remote" to shift pages using a reflex camera shooting cable, but so far, I don't have the hardware to produce the metal attachment required and when pressing the remote shooter, the attachment yields instead of pressing the button. However, I don't care much for this gadget since I don't have a problem having my hands out of the blankets, so maybe someone else can develop the idea if interested.

But believe me, the DIY Bookchair is far better than what you show.
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote