Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-05-2009, 06:12 AM   #16
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I remember some years ago either reading a short story, or seeing a short film - I forget which it was - about the "ethics" of transporter technology, the whole point of which was that it inevitably involves the "death" of the person being "transported", and the ethical implications of that.
You may be thinking of an episode of Star Trek:Enterprise which had the inventor of the transporter and him and Archer discussed this topic and how it was debated and protested during the initial developement of the technology.

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:18 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh215 View Post
You may be thinking of an episode of Star Trek:Enterprise which had the inventor of the transporter and him and Archer discussed this topic and how it was debated and protested during the initial developement of the technology.

-MJ
No, it can't be that; I gave up watching "Enterprise" after the initial episode, I was so annoyed by it. Nice thought, though!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 07:36 AM   #18
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I like the conundrum associated with time travel; what if you went back in time, found your father and killed him?

I expect you'd spend the rest of eternity wandering mindlessly around the MobileRead Forums, no wait...
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:17 AM   #19
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I like the conundrum associated with time travel; what if you went back in time, found your father and killed him?
Hmm, someone's got daddy-issues, huh?

In relation to Time Travel and its possibilities/explanations/uses, the following page ("SF Chronophysics") elaborates somewhat entertainingly on its use in SF:

http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/chrono.html

Although I think it might be an interesting read for anyone who's enjoyed the SF tropes of time travel, I suspect it might be of specific interest to BOb and his listing of it as an impossibility (the author notes that he is working on the premise that Time Travel is "any process involving chains of cause-and-effect which are discontinuous and/or retrograde. Nearly-as-fast-as-light starships or the like do not in my book count as "travelling into the future"")

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #20
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
I would like a single outpatient injection of nanobots that would repair my eyes permanently, also fix everything nice and young and thin and keep it that way. Immortality?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #21
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
I remember some years ago either reading a short story, or seeing a short film - I forget which it was - about the "ethics" of transporter technology, the whole point of which was that it inevitably involves the "death" of the person being "transported", and the ethical implications of that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
For some reason (and it may be a short story I read once), this is what came to my mind too when I first saw it on the list. I don't want to assume that's the basis of BOb's "impossible", but if it is, then it would clarify that particular parameter of "impossible" in my mind.

Cheers,
Marc
There was a sequence of stories that eventually became a novel (I think) on this topic. ISTR that the inventors of the transporter picked up and pushed (in the advertising sense) a 'religion' called "reformed Sufi-ism," because adherents of said religion were OK with the transporter. One of the stories involved the founder of said religion supposedly travelling by transporter to a distant star -- except that
Spoiler:
he actually took a STL starship, because he wasn't willing to be transported.

Can't remember the author or any titles, though.

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:13 AM   #22
Xenophon
curmudgeon
Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xenophon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, (ex)nook, (ex)PRS-700, (ex)PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I would like a single outpatient injection of nanobots that would repair my eyes permanently, also fix everything nice and young and thin and keep it that way. Immortality?
Ooooooh! The Magic shot/pill/fix! We wants it, we does! Preciousssssssss

Xenophon
Xenophon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:18 AM   #23
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Are you talking about an ethical "problem"?
Sort of yes. But more the "I don't want to die to visit grandma" problem.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:19 AM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
If you get a chance, Bob, read Jim Al-Khalili's book "Black Holes, Wormholes and Time Machines". It's a wonderful exploration of the possibilies for time travel inherent in Black Holes, written in a very readable style by one of the experts in the field of Black Holes.
Gee... just what I need... more books on my to-read list. Thanks H, I'll look into it.

BOb
Old 04-05-2009, 11:25 AM   #25
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
In relation to Time Travel and its possibilities/explanations/uses, the following page ("SF Chronophysics") elaborates somewhat entertainingly on its use in SF:
I spawned a thread on Time Travel here. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44249 Please join in all.

BOb
Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 AM   #26
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Pilotbob - There is a big difference between extremely difficult and unlikely and Impossible. Time travel is extremely difficult and unlikely, not Impossible.

Re: teleportation. Just because it may kill the person using it doesn't mean that if it could be built, it wouldn't be used for non-living cargo. A lump of iron wouldn't care about living or dead.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:28 AM   #27
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Oh... good one. I do think nanobots doing medical repairs is highly likely. I know there are several companies working on them.

BOb
Old 04-05-2009, 11:32 AM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Pilotbob - There is a big difference between extremely difficult and unlikely and Impossible. Time travel is extremely difficult and unlikely, not Impossible.

Re: teleportation. Just because it may kill the person using it doesn't mean that if it could be built, it wouldn't be used for non-living cargo. A lump of iron wouldn't care about living or dead.
True, but this would be closer to a replicator type thing. Why destroy the original in this case. Also, you aren't really "moving" it right. You still need to raw material at the destination.

To me, it will be IMPOSSIBLE to move something from the origin to the destination if the destination didn't have the correct constituent parts.

BOb
Old 04-05-2009, 11:37 AM   #29
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Yes, but that's a slightly different case. I used iron just as a common example, I could have been rare drugs or chemicals or any other non-living whatnot.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:38 AM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph Sir Edward View Post
Yes, but that's a slightly different case. I used iron just as a common example, I could have been rare drugs or chemicals or any other non-living whatnot.
I still personally think it is impossible. But, I would be happy to be proved wrong.

BOb