Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-31-2011, 03:47 AM   #31
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Personally Martin books have bumped their way up to my 2nd favorite series/author (Robin Hobb's Farseer being my favorite).

I avoided reading them for years, since I figured they were terrible like Jordan's Wheel of Time, the popular fantasy I don't like (now that's a series where I feel like nothing ever happens).

I re-read a series whenever a new book comes out - I read fast, but man, did it take a while to get through volumes 1-4 in time for Dance this time. Whew.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
The main story bearers, who were also the most interesting characters, Jon, Tyrion, and Daenerys were all absent, in that not one of them is used as a point of view.
I think I agree that Feast for Crows is the weakest book...but this is mainly why. He ended up splicing half of a book for Feast - Fan-favorite characters are all missing, and most of the book is spent on people you love to hate, or at least feel some disgust with - like Cersei, Jaimie, Theon. The Greyjoys especially irritated me in Feast.

Read together with Dance, Feast isn't so bad. I almost wish you could chop up the chapters and re-distribute some of Dance into Feast and vice versa - less time with the aggravating people would make it more palatable. Still, I enjoyed Feast and didn't have any major complaints, except that I wanted more Tyrion and Jon and whoever.

Still my 2nd favorite series for now.

Last edited by GreenMonkey; 08-31-2011 at 03:49 AM.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 06:22 AM   #32
AdrianM
Connoisseur
AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!AdrianM , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: nook, K3
Awesome series so far. I'm 1/3 of the way through book 3, Storm of Swords. Is it slow sometimes? Yes. Is it impossible to keep track of who is related to who and who supports who? Almost. But still, these pale in comparison to the fact that I'm almost always caught completely by surprise by the plot twists and deaths which is so refreshing. I honestly can't think of a book that I've read that's quite like this.

I actually like that GRRM has focused more on the people than the magic too; I didn't think I would but he introduces just enough myth and magic to keep it interesting and in the realm of fantasy.

As for an ending, who needs it. Sometimes a story is worth reading even if it doesn't reach a culmination, like enjoying the journey to a destination; arriving at the destination (or not) shouldn't detract from the enjoyment that's gotten from the trip itself.

Not a series I would recommend to most people though; it's way too heavy and convoluted. As someone mentioned, Mistborn is equally original and enjoyable (and almost as surprising) but is easier to read and has a more traditional format and pace. Someone also mentioned Magician; it's in my top 10 books of all time. It's hard to believe that the later books were written by the same author. Good thing Magician stood fairly well alone.

Last edited by AdrianM; 08-31-2011 at 06:36 AM.
AdrianM is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2011, 12:15 AM   #33
beespeckled
Zealot
beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!beespeckled My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: KOBO Aura One; Kindle Oasis 3
I recently finished Dance w/dragons. My first Ebook purchase after having my reader for over a year. Never thought I would purchase an Ebook, but there you have it, George Martin has me sucked into this series. Blatant cheesy cliffhanger marketing that it is, I'm hooked. if he couldn't tell a good story I wouldn't be waiting for book 6.

My thoughts: Yes, he could edit out much and just get on with it! PLEASE! I get the idea of the debauched treacherousness of these characters without having every little nasty detail minutely described. but despite this, he paints a world of multidimensional characters that keeps me coming back.

I do like this narrative style. I feel like it allows the full view of the characters without confusing me about which character is which. Normally, if there are too many characters I lose track and interest quickly.

I only started the first book about a month and a half ago, and breezed through the first 4 in like a month, not that I am a fast reader, but usually life gets in the way, usually my average is about 3 weeks to finish a 300+ page book. But with this series, my every extra moment was taken up with reading.

I see many classic storytelling themes in this series. Shakespeare, (Edward III, Macbeth, King Lear comes to mind) Tolkien but also Robert Graves I, Claudius. Tyrion especially makes me think of Claudius. I haven't read I, Claudius (just familiar with the tale thru PBS series) but now I want to read I, Claudius.

I give this series a big thumbs up! BUT reader beware...nothing is sacred in these books :P

Last edited by beespeckled; 09-02-2011 at 12:17 AM. Reason: rephrasing
beespeckled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:18 PM   #34
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I'm 3/4 through the first one and am enjoying it very much. The format doesn't bother me in the least.

I'm a series reader and have been since childhood. I want to finish at least the first book before I watch the show.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #35
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by beespeckled View Post
I recently finished Dance w/dragons. My first Ebook purchase after having my reader for over a year. Never thought I would purchase an Ebook, but there you have it, George Martin has me sucked into this series. Blatant cheesy cliffhanger marketing that it is, I'm hooked. if he couldn't tell a good story I wouldn't be waiting for book 6.

My thoughts: Yes, he could edit out much and just get on with it! PLEASE! I get the idea of the debauched treacherousness of these characters without having every little nasty detail minutely described. but despite this, he paints a world of multidimensional characters that keeps me coming back.
I give this series a big thumbs up! BUT reader beware...nothing is sacred in these books :P
In the end, Martin does know how to tell a good story but I would agree that one could do without all the incredibly lurid details he provides about all the perversions and psychotic interests of so many of the characters.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #36
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Unhappy Don't care much....

I've given up.

I found 4 went on a bit, but 5 - totally new characters we're assumed to "know" without any back history, and I don't care about about, more complicated side stories and expansions, more and more words, basically ....rather self-indulgent is the sort of feeling I get.

Painted himself into a corner - should have stopped at three, perhaps with bit bigger books for leeway,with an ending of some sort.

Or perhaps he doesn't have one yet.........
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:05 PM   #37
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Well I'm just about to start "Game of Thrones". I thought with all the talk I'd have to give it a go and see what I think. I got it from the library so I haven't lost anything if I can't get past the first few pages.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:28 PM   #38
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belle2Be View Post
Is it going to hurt or maim you in any way to just try to read it? Can Sony do free samples like Amazon does? If so, try that.
There are some books you should sample, and then there are others it's pointless doing so. Like Game of Thrones. Really, even if the sample is 50% of the first book you won't know what it's talking about

I finally made it to the end of the first book at the second attempt with the assistance of a pencil and a piece of paper at the beginning (I'm bad at remember who's who and kept on confusing the names. After that I simply ignore them... )

But just imagin GRRM brings out even more new names... No, thanks, that was ways too enough for my miserable memory.

And what's more, he's not finished his series yet. It takes him years to write one book! What happens when the last book (if it exists) is out in, say, 2020 and I don't remember a thing about the plots at that time? I shudder to think of re-reading all the series just to get the jist...
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:22 AM   #39
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Well I'm just about to start "Game of Thrones". I thought with all the talk I'd have to give it a go and see what I think. I got it from the library so I haven't lost anything if I can't get past the first few pages.
I'm about 100 pages in and I'm enjoying it but no more than lots of other books.
Old 09-27-2011, 03:20 PM   #40
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
What others have said is correct. He goes on and on and gets nowhere. I gave up after the third book and my mom and brother are annoyed with me for getting them into it. ;?P The series does look good, though, and I may Netflix it when/if it is available that way.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 05:49 PM   #41
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I bought the first 4 books in a set on Amazon. Only reason I bought it was because it was in the best seller list there and the description sounded good. However, I haven't even finished the first book so far because I somehow managed to lose track of things early on and I wasn't in the mood for backtracking or starting over. And the user opinions I read afterward didn't motivate me much either.

Aside from the content I was also having slight technical difficulties as Amazon gave me the four books in one big file, and the Kindle Android app didn't really handle it well navigation wise. If you touch the display the wrong way it's possible it fast forwards you to X% of the book (which in this case is another book entirely) and it takes ages to find the previous location. Chapter navigation doesn't work right and the chapter names don't help much either.

At least now I know what is the point of the virtual bookmark feature. Even so I wish that Amazon at least gave you separate files for the books even if you bought it as a set.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 06:03 PM   #42
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
[QUOTE=maianhvk;1755730]There are some books you should sample, and then there are others it's pointless doing so. Like Game of Thrones. Really, even if the sample is 50% of the first book you won't know what it's talking about

I finally made it to the end of the first book at the second attempt with the assistance of a pencil and a piece of paper at the beginning (I'm bad at remember who's who and kept on confusing the names. After that I simply ignore them... )

Late as usual..... but,
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 02:02 AM   #43
amward
Wizard

Well I've given up! I just kept wondering what else I had to read and felt no overwhelming desire to know what would happen next. I gave it about 200 pages and just didn't get very involved although there were bits that I really liked. I also got confused with who was who (whom?) and realised that I didn't really care. Maybe I'll try it again sometime.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:33 PM   #44
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
Wow Im glad I read this. I was going to start reading it, I'll just watch it on HBO hehe!
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:55 AM   #45
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
Wow Im glad I read this. I was going to start reading it, I'll just watch it on HBO hehe!
We're glad our experiences are eye-opener to you.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote