Notices

Old 07-12-2011, 02:10 PM   #1
dezignlady
Enthusiast
dezignlady began at the beginning.

Device: none
ID: Rule Above and Below

InDesign CS5

I have a style sheet that calls for a rule above and below. When I do the export these rules are lost? Is that normal if so how do I format the CSS to get them back?

thanks
dezignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
While InDesign allows rules to be added to a paragraph's style, css doesn't allow that. Unfortunately you will need to edit the xhtml after export and add <hr /> tags above and below the relevant paragraphs (these can be styled in css to alter the width and thickness).

It might be an idea to consider whether you can use different styling (such as a block indent) to achieve the same function.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 08:02 PM   #3
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
I did a book that separated sections with hr tags but it wouldn't validate until I removed them. It still worked and looked good but didn't pass.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
dezignlady
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
While InDesign allows rules to be added to a paragraph's style, css doesn't allow that. Unfortunately you will need to edit the xhtml after export and add <hr /> tags above and below the relevant paragraphs (these can be styled in css to alter the width and thickness).

It might be an idea to consider whether you can use different styling (such as a block indent) to achieve the same function.
Would that be the same as adding a border top and bottom in the CSS?
Old 07-12-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
<hr /> tags create horizontal rules. A line that, unchanged in the CSS, goes horizontally across the entire width of the page.

The attributes can be changed in the CSS.

Do you plan on putting the ePubs into online bookstores? Because I found they don't validate with HR tags.
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
dezignlady
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
<hr /> tags create horizontal rules. A line that, unchanged in the CSS, goes horizontally across the entire width of the page.

The attributes can be changed in the CSS.

Do you plan on putting the ePubs into online bookstores? Because I found they don't validate with HR tags.
ok good to know. Up to my eyeballs in shuffling pages around that didn't break where they should