Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-15-2011, 08:43 AM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Kindle sales reports

For those of you self-publishing on the Kindle. How does the sales report work? How often is it updated and does it show both .uk and. com sales or are they shown separately?
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 09:39 AM   #2
dworth
Zealot
dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle pc
US and UK sales are shown seperately, and you will be paid seperately in dollars and sterling respectively. Sales are reported not exactly in real time, but at least every hour or so. Month to date shows sales accrued during the current calendar month. Last six weeks shows a weekly breakdown of the previous six calendar weeks. Previous months shows previous sales by calendar month.

Rather annoyingly there isn't a way of totting up your sales and royalties except by adding up each month's totals yourself.
dworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2011, 09:22 AM   #3
MartinC
Hanger on
MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MartinC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Galaxy S, Sony PRS-505, Sony tablet
NovelRank gives a good-looking summary, and it does seem to tot up sales over the past year (I haven't been at it long enough to know how well this works). It also seems to combine reports from Amazon .com and co.uk. You can export to Excel too.

Most interesting of all, you can get figures for other people's books...

Last edited by MartinC; 03-23-2011 at 06:34 PM.
MartinC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #4
randyflycaster
Zealot
randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.randyflycaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350
You get the reports on your Kindle Direct Publishing page.
Randy
randyflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM   #5
sportourer1
Writer
sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sportourer1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
These reports and royalty reports are a real mess
sportourer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #6
C. R. Hindmarsh
Wordslinger
C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.C. R. Hindmarsh can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: iPod
You can also get reports on AuthorCentral, an Amazon-owned site. I'm not sure how often they update though.
C. R. Hindmarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
sakman70
sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakman70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle (droid)
Anyone else seeing 'accuracy issues' with NovelRank? Even their footnote says something about the possibility of the numbers being "understated". For example, for March it tells me I sold 345 sales, yet my publisher pulled the data for amazon sales and quoted me 675. That's more than a little understatement. Just don't know if that's of any use. (Of course I like the publisher's numbers, and since that's what I'm being paid on...) I'm just concerned because if I go with a self-published title in the future I'm not sure how accurate any of the tracking will be. But hopefully other tools will be available in that case...
sakman70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:58 AM   #8
Todd Young
Addict
Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Todd Young ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman70 View Post
Anyone else seeing 'accuracy issues' with NovelRank? Even their footnote says something about the possibility of the numbers being "understated". For example, for March it tells me I sold 345 sales, yet my publisher pulled the data for amazon sales and quoted me 675. That's more than a little understatement. Just don't know if that's of any use. (Of course I like the publisher's numbers, and since that's what I'm being paid on...) I'm just concerned because if I go with a self-published title in the future I'm not sure how accurate any of the tracking will be. But hopefully other tools will be available in that case...
I think you might have to sign up with novel rank to get more accurate figures. (I could be wrong about this.) But I don't see the point anyway. You can see your sales figures on your reports, and they seem to be updated several times a day.
Todd Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #9
Andrew Ashling
Connoisseur
Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew Ashling ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: I divide my time between Ormidon, Ximerion and Antwerp, Belgium
Device: Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura One, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman70 View Post
Amazon doesn't make their sales figures public. What Novelrank and similar sites do is log in to the ranking and try to deduce whether a sale has taken place. This is educated guesswork. In my case they seem to miss about 15 to 20 % of my sales. If you have several sales in the same hour they probably will miss all of them but one.
Also, they only start tracking a book when someone puts it on their list. Sales in the same month prior to that are not included.

For your own records Amazon itself gives you exact figures. Novelrank is interesting to see how you are doing compared to others in your niche, IMHO.
Andrew Ashling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 04:37 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Just a wee aside: We have our entire catalogue in paperback and ebook editions and when our additional registration as BeWrite Books LLC USA kicked in last October we were able to deal with all major and minor retail stores.

When our book-keeper calculated the six-monthly author royalties in March, we were amazed. Not only had we sold more ebooks over that short period than all ebook sales combined over the past decade, but Kindle sales accounted for much more than all other retail outlets combined.

Hope this is a good omen for some of you. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #11
G J Lau
Zealot
G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.G J Lau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
When our book-keeper calculated the six-monthly author royalties in March, we were amazed. Not only had we sold more ebooks over that short period than all ebook sales combined over the past decade, but Kindle sales accounted for much more than all other retail outlets combined.

Hope this is a good omen for some of you. Best wishes. Neil
Agree. Just about all my sales are on Amazon. Not surprising, I guess. I'm still trying to figure out why B&N hasn't kicked in more. Could be the ways in which my stuff is categorized. It's all a mystery.
G J Lau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 12:34 PM   #12
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yep, Novel rank doesn't work, not sure what it's purpose is actually.

You get all your reports on KDP, where you uploaded your book there is a report heading, press that and you'll see Month to date unit sales, open that and you'll get 3 stores, UK, US and De (Germany).

Go back and then you'll see your last 6 weeks sales and monthly sales.

Your weekly sales show up every Sunday.

Hope that helps.;-)
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:21 AM   #13
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
By the way, something else that surprised us with our first sales after being able to deal direct with US-based ebook stores in October 2010 was -- in spite of their (I think) great hardware but rotten library software -- second biggest sales figures came from Sony -- not B&N, Apple or Kobo as we'd guessed. Sales direct from our own wee site also, unexpectedly, peaked, even though Mobi, ePub and PDF editions (DRM-free and with no geo-restrictions on sale) had been available there long before our additional US registration allowed us to deal with the stores direct. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote