Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-29-2015, 11:30 AM   #23116
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
No, sorry, it's "Ministry of Defence", no matter what the nationality of the author. This is just so irritating . Why can't authors take more care?
Two recurrent issues of this type that always irk me are "Pearl Harbour" in British books about WWII and references to the "Labor Party" in American news media. I'm an equal opportunity offendee.

I suspect it's as much editorial as opposed to authorial, though; a (poor) choice regarding the preferences of the domestic market. Because readers are such dopes, y'know.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 12:36 PM   #23117
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next: another Brother Cadfael: The Pilgrim of Hate
Which I enjoyed, and followed with Dreadnaught by Jack Campbell, the second in the series that follow his Lost Fleet series. Also a good read.

And then I read Sunday the Rabbi Stayed Home by Harry Kemelman. An excellent story of community life, with a murder mystery.

Most recently, I finished The Cyborg from Earth by Charles Sheffield. OK, but a bit disappointing. The title is obviously echoing Heinlein's The Menace from Earth, but takes the incomer's viewpoint, and the Cyborg bit is deceptive.

Now reading: The Wizard's Dilemma by Diane Duane. The fifth in her Young Wizards series, in the New Millennium edition.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2015, 09:53 PM   #23118
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 9, Galaxy Tab A (2017), Likebook P78
Reading The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August by Claire North. I am enjoying it a lot.
Dngrsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:51 AM   #23119
basschick
Wizard
basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.basschick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
i just finished reading an excerpt of the up-and-coming book in the in death series by JD Robb, brotherhood in death. and you know what? i can't wait to read the entire thing... well, listen, actually, since i do this series in audio. dennis mira fans will be interested in this one, i think, and the plot thus far looks interesting

this is the link from my email, but hopefully will work
http://noraroberts.us6.list-manage1....2&e=0a6961cf9d
basschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #23120
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now reading: The Wizard's Dilemma by Diane Duane. The fifth in her Young Wizards series, in the New Millennium edition.
Which was excellent.

Now: Earthblood and Other Stories by Keith Laumer et al.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2015, 12:46 PM   #23121
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Someone in here or in the mystery thread recommended Finding Davey by Jonathan Gash

This was an amazing book. It is only available as print in the USA but was worth searching to find this book.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 02:18 PM   #23122
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by KyBunnies View Post
Someone in here or in the mystery thread recommended Finding Davey by Jonathan Gash

This was an amazing book. It is only available as print in the USA but was worth searching to find this book.
That was I. Pleased you enjoyed it as much as I did!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:28 PM   #23123
KyBunnies
Book & Bunny Crazy
KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KyBunnies ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3 (x2), Fire HD 7-inch (x2), Fire HDX 8.9, Acer Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That was I. Pleased you enjoyed it as much as I did!
Thank you for recommending this book Harry. I did find it hard to understand a lot of the British slang. But that did not deter me from enjoying the book. I spent a lot of time looking stuff up so I could understand but it was time well spent. I am so glad you recommended it. I have already sent the book off to a friend to read.
KyBunnies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 04:55 PM   #23124
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Hard to resist at that price!
Next up, I'm going to try a new (to me) series. Theft of Swords is an omnibus of the first two books in the Riyria Revelations series from Michael J. Sullivan. I'm not at all sure why I decided to read this series, but something about it caught my eye. We'll see...
Well that was a DUD! Abandoned after 150 pages or so. Just really bad writing. Stilted and juvenile. It felt like the average reader age was somewhere around grade 6. Oh, well.

Instead, I'm reading a Georgette Heyer. The Convenient Marriage. At least I know that will be fun.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 AM   #23125
Dngrsone
Almost legible
Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dngrsone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just finished Killing Orders, the third V. I. Warshawski book. This is an old ebook, and the OCR was for crap, but I'm not going to try and fix it. Today is free book day (Kindle Select), so maybe I'll pick up something new and actually read the new book in the month it was presented...
Old 12-03-2015, 10:01 AM   #23126
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I felt that I should read Morgan Robertson's strange literary premonition of the sinking of the Titanic which occurred 12 years after the book was written. Certainly the first part of the work which describes the Titan and it's collision with an iceberg is eerie. However, after that event the book settles into a rather boring description of the adventures of John Rowland and the little girl whom he rescued. Characterisation is flat and sometimes leans heavily on stereotyping.

But reading this book led me to listen to the audio drama, Dr Who: The Wreck of the Titan. This is a very interesting adaptation of Robertson and the result is far superior to his book.

The Titan features in the story (as does the Titanic briefly and the Nautilus) and some of the events are similar. For instance, events occur on the iceberg after the collision. John and Myra appear but they are far more interesting than their counterparts in the novel. And of course The Doctor and Jamie (played by Colin Baker and Frazer Hines) are excellent to their roles. The story expands in interesting and unexpected ways and I would recommend this very enjoyable if loose adaptation.

My rating for the book would be two stars while I would give the audio drama five stars out of five!

Last edited by fantasyfan; 12-03-2015 at 10:03 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 11:41 AM   #23127
Dngrsone
Almost legible

Reading From the Cradle by Louise Voss & Mark Edwards. British Detective Inspector Lennon has to find a kidnapper and rescue the toddlers that have been stolen before they are killed (and/or more get stolen). It is a Kindle for Samsung Select choice for this month, so I am going to read this and maybe even write a review... which is the purpose of the giveaway, no?
Old 12-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #23128
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Just borrowed two books from the library here:

The Colony of Unrequited Dreams by Wayne Johnston
Maskerade by Terry Pratchett

A little Canadian history and a little humor to round out the year.

I just finished up Inspector Imanishi Investigates which was quite enjoyable. Thanks to peterwardgd for nominating it for the bookclub even though it didn't win.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 04:28 PM   #23129
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Next up is either Judas Unchained, book 2 of the Pandora's Star/Commonwealth Saga by Peter F. Hamilton, or A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson depending on which I can get from the library first.
A Short History of Nearly Everything was a very good summary of how we know what we do (and don't) know about our planet's history. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I am still waiting for Judas Unchained (1 more person in front of me) so I will probably read a few stories out of Rogues by George R.R. Martin that interest me. I want to read the Bast story by Patrick Rothfuss, The Lightning Tree, in particular but will read some of the others too. This review has some details about what the other stories are. There may be some minor spoilers in that review if you are particularly sensitive to such things but there wasn't enough to bother me.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 11:47 AM   #23130
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
I just finished reading Elizabeth Gaskill's Cranford. This was an Audible book, read by the inimitable Nadia May (Wanda McCaddon), but it's also available here in our own Patricia Clark Memorial Library.

The book starts out a bit slow, and I admit I might have abandoned it were it not that I enjoy Ms. McCaddon's narrations enough that I'll happily listen to almost anything she reads. And I'm glad I didn't abandon it, because the book grew on me. With each chapter, one gets more and more of the feel and character of the town and its inhabitants. And I grew to appreciate them and enjoy the telling of their story. Yes, the writing is very dated, and no, there aren't any car chases or explosions. But there is certainly drama, and heartache, and joy. I highly recommend this book, which is available for free here, and in Kindle Unlimited, including the WhisperSync Audible version.

(Note: There are many different versions of this book on Amazon KU that are WhisperSynced to Audible, including two by Ms. McCaddon - one under her real name, and one as Nadia May. I chose the Nadia May one and was very happy with it. Getting the correctly linked KU and Audible versions is easiest if you start from the Audible version you want. )
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote