Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Anybody know about Twitter?

I've been using it lately and it seems to be keeping me from doing stuff. The big thing is it isn't letting my posts with shortened urls (of my books) go through to the hashtag areas (I don't know the proper terminology) I want them to go to. (eg. #kindle or #ebooks) (They do, however, post in my area, but I have 9 followers. lol)

I could of course just put something like "On Amazon" and then the tweets would get into the hashtag areas but using the shortened urls is such an advantage because they're clickable and if you click on the "summary" link, a drop-down window opens with the book's cover image and more of the blurb.

Anybody have any ideas on how I could have them let the shortened urls get to the hashtag areas I want them to? Thanks.
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:37 PM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I am not sure I understand your question, but if you want to post something that will appear if somebody searches for a specific hashtag, e.g. Amazon, you should just mention it in your tweet, e.g. "My latest book is on #amazon, see http://link.html"

Then if somebody searches for #amazon, your tweet will appear. But maybe you were asking something else.

EDIT: just took the liberty to look at your twitter page: I don't think you should put the hashtag symbol before the link, but before any keyword that you want to direct people to your tweets. For instance, if you want it to be found by people looking for the word "mistake" you would tweet
Quote:
What can a mother do when she has no money and a dangerously sick kid? She can make a #mistake. Now she'll pay. http://amzn.to/10onVdH #free
"

Last edited by paola; 06-28-2013 at 03:46 PM.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I am not sure I understand your question, but if you want to post something that will appear if somebody searches for a specific hashtag, e.g. Amazon, you should just mention it in your tweet, e.g. "My latest book is on #amazon, see http://link.html"

Then if somebody searches for #amazon, your tweet will appear. But maybe you were asking something else.

EDIT: just took the liberty to look at your twitter page: I don't think you should put the hashtag symbol before the link, but before any keyword that you want to direct people to your tweets. For instance, if you want it to be found by people looking for the word "mistake" you would tweet "
Thanks paola. I see what you're saying about the #mistake thing. But I didn't express my problem well. If I send a tweet with a tiny url included for one of my ebooks and include a hashtag stream (eg. #kindle), the tweet will go onto my stream, but it will not go into the #kindle stream. If I remove the tiny url, the tweet will go into my stream of course, but it will then also go into the #kindle stream.

The reason I put the # in front of the url is because that is the only way I can get a url into Twitter. (Actually I shouldn't say that. If I include a tiny url say from a major magazine, they will post it in the hashtag stream. But if the hash tag is for one of my ebooks-- no. For some reason when I put the hashtag is in front of the url it does go into the desired hashtag stream. (I don't know why. I just saw someone else doing it and I tried it and it worked.)

So at least that way I have a url in the tweet and it's in the desired hash tag stream, but it's a--needlessly--cumbersome process and the results are less than optimal because then potential readers need to copy and past the url, rather than just clicking on it. (See with the # in front of the tiny url, the url is not a link and therefore not click-able.)

So what I want is a way to get my tiny urls into the hashtag streams I desire them to be in. I see all kinds of people using tiny urls in the same hash tag rooms I'm trying to get into, but I, for whatever reason, have been unable to.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Gregg:

Sorry, but...what hashtag stream do you think a tinyurl with a hashtag is going into? streams are, by definition, identical. That is, #Amazon or the like, right? So, what I don't understand is where you think this would be seen? A tinyurl with a hashmark in front of it, other than in your own stream?

Can you elaborate?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:15 PM   #5
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
A guess: if you're just searching on twitter for #kindle, by default you will see the "Top Tweets" stream. This means that unless a whole lot of people are re-tweeting your tweet, which seems unlikely, you won't see your tweet appear, even though it's there. Click "All" to see all tweets, but on a popular hashtag things will roll by very quickly.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:37 AM   #6
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

Hitch

This post has been deleted.

Last edited by Gregg Bell; 06-29-2013 at 07:13 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 12:38 AM   #7
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

LOLOLOLOLOL I have NO IDEA how that map got in there! (It's voodoo!)
Old 06-29-2013, 12:43 AM   #8
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
A guess: if you're just searching on twitter for #kindle, by default you will see the "Top Tweets" stream. This means that unless a whole lot of people are re-tweeting your tweet, which seems unlikely, you won't see your tweet appear, even though it's there. Click "All" to see all tweets, but on a popular hashtag things will roll by very quickly.
meeera, thanks for trying to help. It's not a case of me missing my tweets with an avalanche of tweets coming along. Not sure what you meant by this though:

you won't see your tweet appear, even though it's there.

Did you mean that it would just go by so fast with all the tweets cascading down that if I didn't have multiple version of my tweet (via being re-tweeted) I'd miss it? (That's what I thought you meant anyway.)
Old 06-29-2013, 01:17 AM   #9
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
meeera, thanks for trying to help. It's not a case of me missing my tweets with an avalanche of tweets coming along. Not sure what you meant by this though:

you won't see your tweet appear, even though it's there.

Did you mean that it would just go by so fast with all the tweets cascading down that if I didn't have multiple version of my tweet (via being re-tweeted) I'd miss it? (That's what I thought you meant anyway.)
Possibly. But after what you've posted from the FAQ, it's quite possible that what is going on is simply Twitter's anti-spam protocols working as designed.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 03:19 AM   #10
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Gregg, searching around yesterday I found a discussion on people tryingto put a tweet fromanother webpage (e.g. you are visiting my webpage, and on it there is a "tweet button" that if clicked will allow you to post whatever you write on twitter). They said that any hastag symbol # put in a url tells the system to ignore anything which comes after it:so in your case I would say it would ignore your tinyurl if you put the hastag infront.

However, if you use the html codeor write hashtag it should work,but perhaps it is not relevantfor your case, however here it is:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9...hare-link-text

On the other hand, aren't these guys having your sameproblem?
https://dev.twitter.com/discussions/8699
Old 06-29-2013, 05:40 AM   #11
m00min
Connoisseur
m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.m00min ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad / NST / Kobo
Sounds like Twitter have beefed up their spam protection. Hash tags were being ruined by spammers posting crap and then piggybacking on a hash tag. I'm guessing this is to filter out that noise. Your followers will still see your tweets containing URLs.

There's probably some relationship between age of your account / amount of followers and whether they allow your tweets with a hash tag and a URL get included in the search. I'd bet on the amount of followers being the key here but Twitter are unlikely to advertise this, it would give the spammers something to aim for.
m00min is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg Bell View Post
LOLOLOLOLOL I have NO IDEA how that map got in there! (It's voodoo!)
Gregg:

Do you think you could edit it, please? TY.

Hitch
Old 06-29-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
paola
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Gregg:

Do you think you could edit it, please? TY.

Hitch
for a moment my heart sunk, as I could see my google profile there! but logged out of google, and now I'm "gone": I presume anyone who is logged in would get the same outcome (i.e. think your google profile is being shown), in case you were thinking of this.
Old 06-29-2013, 05:03 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
for a moment my heart sunk, as I could see my google profile there! but logged out of google, and now I'm "gone": I presume anyone who is logged in would get the same outcome (i.e. think your google profile is being shown), in case you were thinking of this.
Ditto. Thanks for the heads' up. That's really interesting. Gregg, what did you actually TYPE there?

Hitch
Old 06-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #15
icedtea
elibrary love
icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.icedtea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, RIP Mini
It looks like none of your tweets with the hashtag symbol # in front of your links are working as links at all. As suggested, it's probably a way for twitter to control spam.

Links in general, are not supposed to be used with a hashtag, I think. Hashtags are for topics and events, or a way to tag tweets of similar content/themes from many users.
icedtea is offline   Reply With Quote