Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2012, 10:55 AM   #31
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Toni Weisskopf--the publisher of Baen Books--just posted this in her forum at Baen's Bar last night 12/06/2012:

Quote:
We'll also be restoring as many titles as possible to the BFL. We are preparing Second Editions of many of the works, with additional material, that will be offered for sale. The First Editions without the added material will be in the Free Library. Slowly, slowly it all comes together.

--Toni

Quote:
The way third party platforms work is that if a work is offered anywhere else for a lower price, they will automatically reduce their price to match this. This includes books offered for free as promotions. So the choice is never be able to sell a book anywhere, or remove the book from the free library. We have selected a third way. See previous post in re: second editions and first editions.

--Toni
will update op.

bernie

Last edited by gbm; 12-07-2012 at 11:02 AM.
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 11:35 AM   #32
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
"In a lot of ways, my personal belief is that Baen has now come to the conclusion that the free CDs are an experiment which has run its course."
Whether they have reached that conclusion yet or not, it is increasingly likely that the environment has changed enough that a different approach is needed. (The first edition/second edition model being one very nice example. As well as showing how the Baen folks keep finding new ways to play the ebook "game".)

The CDs (like the library) were primarily about promoting pbook sales with ebooks. But at a time that ebooks are 25%+ of the market, giving away entire backlists wholesale may be overkill. Other approaches, like rotating which volumes are available for free at any point in time might achieve the same results without cannibalizing sales too badly.

Times change.
In the meantime, it may be wise to get the full set of promo CDs while the getting is good.

Last edited by fjtorres; 12-07-2012 at 11:39 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:04 PM   #33
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
In the meantime, it may be wise to get the full set of promo CDs while the getting is good.
I've got most of what I want, but as with the BFL, if there's CD's you want it's probably best not to wait.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 12:59 PM   #34
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Changes to BaenEbooks also

Toni Weisskopf--the publisher of Baen Books--just posted this in her forum at Baen's Bar on 12/07/2012:

Quote:
Just so; we are trying to avoid that automated process.

In re: discount monthly bundles—one of the results of our negotiations is that we will be able to continue offering these. They will be available only from the Baen site, as will eARCs. But once the books are published in print, they will also go up to third parties as individual titles, and the discount bundles will *poof* disappear. This was the closest I could get to having our cake and eating it too (i.e. making available our titles to the largest possible audience—something our writers want and deserve).

--Toni
Quote:
I should also add as part of this process we are taking our ebook royalties and improving the author’s share by 25%.--Toni
bernie

Last edited by gbm; 12-07-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:54 PM   #35
Auricle
Connoisseur
Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Auricle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20
And this is one of the reasons why I buy so many books/ebooks from Baen. The other major reason of course is that I *like* so many of the authors that they publish. I think they're the only major publishing house that has developed such a relationship with their readers.
Auricle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #36
Dahak
Zealot
Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dahak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS-505(LC) & Rocket eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Toni Weisskopf--the publisher of Baen Books--just posted this in her forum at Baen's Bar last night 12/06/2012:
Yeah... she told me as much over the weekend during our email exchanges.

My site notice is but a paraphrasing of what we talked about.
Dahak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #37
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auricle View Post
And this is one of the reasons why I buy so many books/ebooks from Baen. The other major reason of course is that I *like* so many of the authors that they publish. I think they're the only major publishing house that has developed such a relationship with their readers.

Baen has been my favorite from their beginning.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 08:31 PM   #38
gbm
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Toni Weisskopf--the publisher of Baen Books--just posted this in her forum at Baen's Bar on 12/07/2012:

Quote:
Just so; we are trying to avoid that automated process.

In re: discount monthly bundles—one of the results of our negotiations is that we will be able to continue offering these. They will be available only from the Baen site, as will eARCs. But once the books are published in print, they will also go up to third parties as individual titles, and the discount bundles will *poof* disappear. This was the closest I could get to having our cake and eating it too (i.e. making available our titles to the largest possible audience—something our writers want and deserve).

--Toni
Quote:
I should also add as part of this process we are taking our ebook royalties and improving the author’s share by 25%.--Toni

bernie
Toni said this about the Monthly Baen Bundles:

Quote:
This is going to be happening very soon, days rather than months. So get ‘em while they are hot.--toni
Soon--I say sometime next week--the only bundles will be the ones that are not yet in the book stores as print editions.

So if their are Monthly Baen Bundles that you want, buy now.

bernie
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #39
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Is it just me, or is December 2012 turning out to be a really bad month for eBook readers? First Fictionwise and now all the changes at Baen. (And yes, I've downloaded everything I ever bought there again today.)
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:49 PM   #40
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
Seems like a bad move in the long run, apparently ceding their own online book store which they've built up over the years just to be on Amazon.

I mean, sure, there are more people on Amazon. But Baen is making themselves irrelevant.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 AM   #41
cromag
Surfin the alpha waves ~~
cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cromag ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite & Mini, Nook STR, Kobo, Hanvon N516, Kindle 2, Androids
So-ooo ... I'm guessing I should use up those coupons from Planet Baen real soon!
cromag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:34 AM   #42
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
The coupons should be fine - they don't change the price.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 05:36 AM   #43
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I don't understand why the bundles are an issue at all. They are clearly a different product.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 06:49 AM   #44
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The Bundles going to limited-time availability... *that* hits me where I hurt.

So far I've bought all the monthly bundles, but I generally only go there two or three times a year, usually when a high-profile release draws me in and then I buy 5-6 bundles at a time. Makes for easier downloading.
Now...
Things will be trickier.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 07:37 AM   #45
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The important thing for me is that the bundles will still continue to be available. If "limited availability" is what it takes to maintain that in the current market, then so be it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote