Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 08-14-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
ncmabten
ncmabten began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
PDF and Library Support

Looking for the best e-reader for my Dad's 60th in a month. I have a Kindle myself and am fairly certain another e-reader would suit him better. Looking for something with (in order of importance) :

- Better than average PDF support
- Ability to access Library e-books
- Utilities like font size / styles
- Portability
- Affordability

Appreciate any insight
ncmabten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Care
Aes Sedai
Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.Care has every book they ever wanted in electronic form on their reader.

Device: Kobo Aura and Kobo Mini, had a Nook, NOOKcolor, Nook STR.
The Nook and Kindle 3 do most of those. The only exception is that mobi files (kindle) are hard to find in libraries. I know none of our libraries have mobi ebooks, most are in epub which can be used with the Nook.

If library books are important to him, I would check his local library and see where they get their ebooks from to check if they have lots of mobi files.

I don't have a kindle, but I can tell you I love my Nook. <3 I was actually all set to get a new Kindle, but after getting a Nook to try out, I fell in love with it. It has 5 font sizes but only 3 fonts (but i love the amasis). i can get library books on it easily, and download ebooks from almost anywhere with the epub support. The battery won't be as good as with the Kindle 3. I read 4-8 hrs a day and I get 3-4 days a charge (I seem to read a lot more than the average person, lots of times I read a whole book in one sitting). It's smaller than the previous generations Kindles, but bigger than the new Kindle 3. It fits fine in my purse.

Oh and the price was $ 149.99 US, plus I paid $44 for the 2 year extended warranty via B&N. I was told I could drop it in the water or smash the screen and it will be covered, so that was a plus for me.

The Kobo does all these things as well. The screen resolution isn't as good as the previous two, but it's not bad. There were a few things I didn't like about it though. It couldn't do collections or tags (which the Nook does when rooted, but will hopefully do it with a new software update), I couldn't turn the page left handed, and it didn't tell me page number (which is a big deal for me as I am addicted to goodreads.com). It is still a nice reader though. Very light and small which is a plus.

Last edited by Care; 08-14-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Care is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Care View Post
The Nook and Kindle 3 do most of those. The only exception is that mobi files (kindle) are hard to find in libraries. I know none of our libraries have mobi ebooks, most are in epub which can be used with the Nook.
Also, I think you have to run some scripts to get the library mobi files to work. But, as you say, they're still quite the minority of books. My library has pretty much stopped adding anything but ePub now. I love my Kindle but if the library books were a primary concern for me, I'd get a nook. As it is, my library just doesn't have that large a collection. It's certainly better than when I first bought my Kindle but it's only a couple thousand fiction titles, most of which don't interest me. I strip the DRM off, convert to mobi, and then delete them after I've read them. I'm guessing ncmabten's dad probably won't want to get that involved. I'm pretty sure my dad would glaze over about ten seconds into me explaining the process.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 09:18 PM   #4
ncmabten
ncmabten began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the input

Just stumbled across the Sony Daily Edition, would anyone recommend this e-reader for what I'm looking for?
ncmabten is offline   Reply With Quote