Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2010, 03:02 PM   #151
capidamonte
Not who you think I am...
capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.capidamonte can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: PocketBook 360 -- Ivory
When engineers make software...

Q: How many engineers does it take to change a light bulb?

A1: One. But she would insist that the way she did it was distinctive.

A2: None. "According to my calculations, the problem doesn't exist."

A3: None+. "Just let them use Calibre."
capidamonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 03:18 PM   #152
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
OK, I admit that I can't really see how Ectaco sees this as a viable move with no DRM
support and only the two lessor used (outside Russia) formats.

But you all seem to have missed where I mentioned "would be willing to support".
The controls appear simple enough and straight forward. So the operation of the device
should pose no real problem for the young or Techno-Challenged.

If I still had little kids, I wouldn't be letting them find and buy anything on the Internet,
much less literature. I would supply them with the SD card filled with Daddy approved
reading material. (I know I would probably find myself in violation of the UN "Rights of
the Children Treaty" for cruel and inhuman treatment.)

I also have no problem helping out my elderly friends and neighbors by giving them both
a simple to use device and an SD card filled with literature I feel they might like, classics
most likely. I would be sure to tell them that it would be no imposition if they wanted
any help finding and installing other books of their choice.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-13-2010 at 03:20 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2010, 03:58 PM   #153
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
...If I still had little kids, I wouldn't be letting them find and buy anything on the Internet,
much less literature. I would supply them with the SD card filled with Daddy approved
reading material. (I know I would probably find myself in violation of the UN "Rights of
the Children Treaty" for cruel and inhuman treatment.)...
Screw the U.N. on this one, Ken. I would be right behind you. I don't envy my son and his wife raising their children in today's world.

Last edited by Lady Fitzgerald; 09-14-2010 at 12:28 AM.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 12:19 AM   #154
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
I agree with Ken. jetBook mini is is a true eBook reader for kids. Kids can choose different colors and it looks simple and handy to keep.
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 01:15 AM   #155
Jakie
Connoisseur
Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jakie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Blackberry playbook and Q10
How about those of us who haven't grown up yet even though we are chronilogically challenged? I want the cheap e reader too. :-) of course, it would help if I could figure out how to remove DRM, then there would be no challenges, right? IF I wanted to convert all my ebooks through calibre, to two lesser formats.....I'll wait for FW updates, I think.

Last edited by Jakie; 09-14-2010 at 01:26 AM. Reason: more thoughts.
Jakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2010, 09:45 AM   #156
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
OK, I admit that I can't really see how Ectaco sees this as a viable move with no DRM
support and only the two lessor used (outside Russia) formats.

But you all seem to have missed where I mentioned "would be willing to support".
The controls appear simple enough and straight forward. So the operation of the device
should pose no real problem for the young or Techno-Challenged.

If I still had little kids, I wouldn't be letting them find and buy anything on the Internet,
the Children Treaty" for cruel and inhuman treatment.)

I also have no problem helping out my elderly friends and neighbors by giving them both
a simple to use device and an SD card filled with literature I feel they might like, classics
most likely. I would be sure to tell them that it would be no imposition if they wanted
any help finding and installing other books of their choice.

Luck;
Ken
Even if you call it an e-reader for kids, it still involves a parent or someone who is a techno-geek and can convert books to FB2. For many books it will mean either first stripping the DRM, involving another step of geekiness, or a trip to the darknet, again involving some geekiness.

A device meant for children should still be simple for Joe/Josie Parent to load.

I hope Ectaco updates the firmware PDQ. This is a nice looking device, very similar in form factor to my much loved PB360. I think it is a great design and crippling it by having the only ebook format supported be the obscure FB2 is just so ridiculous.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ectaco, ereader, jetbook, jetbook lite, jetbook mini