Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-10-2009, 04:18 PM   #106
kevindorsey
Evangelist
kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.kevindorsey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyavenard View Post
Version 07 should output both kind if there are images..
Yes it should, although I haven't played with it recently due to DX switch.
kevindorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 09:54 AM   #107
melsk125
melsk125 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
I've put the savory-image-007.ext3 into the system folder and waited and restarted and waited but nothing happened. It still says Kindle 2.2 (---) but no + savory or anything. What should i do?
I'm using Kindle 2i though.

It's my own fault. I forgot to copy the .bin file onto the root directory.

Last edited by melsk125; 11-11-2009 at 10:10 AM. Reason: --
melsk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #108
Rootman
Groupie
Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rootman has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Android & FBReader
Just installed this on my DX and it works well. As stated it does take a while to covert it. I like it.
Rootman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:46 AM   #109
roninwar
roninwar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader 500
unable to install latest savory under 2.3

First of, I am very thankful for all the previous posts- I received a lot of valuable information that allowed me to update my wife's Kindle 2 to view pdf files ...that was under the 2.0 firmware -

I then got the notion that with the newer 2.3 firmware upgrade and the native pdf support, I would give it a go - so I uninstalled the savory .06 and updated the firmware to 2.3 - only to find that I was not able to see any of the pdf books -

I then tried to install savory .07 - said that install was not successful - So I tried to uninstall it - only to have the same message appear - install was not successful.....

anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong or how I can rollback my firmware?

input much appreciated.

roninwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 03:33 AM   #110
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by roninwar View Post
I then got the notion that with the newer 2.3 firmware upgrade and the native pdf support, I would give it a go - so I uninstalled the savory .06 and updated the firmware to 2.3 - only to find that I was not able to see any of the pdf books -
Sure you upgraded to 2.3 ? it should read PDF natively.

Quote:
I then tried to install savory .07 - said that install was not successful - So I tried to uninstall it - only to have the same message appear - install was not successful.....

anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong or how I can rollback my firmware?

input much appreciated.
First, once you've upgraded to 2.3 you can't go back.

Second, as there's now a native PDF reader, I didn't bother repackaging Savory for firmware 2.3.
If you have a Kindle 2 International, Savory 0.07 should install properly. On a DX or Kindle 2; it needs to be repackaged to the new format.
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 08:43 AM   #111
roninwar
roninwar began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader 500
yes - I checked the version and it says 2.3 with a bunch of numbers in () after it.

I placed a pdf file in the document folder and there's nothing registered in the kindle except the dictionary.

The only thing I can trace back is if I didn't install Savory .06 improperly...

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that installing and uninstalling savory .07 should take care of anything untoward that one had done with .06 -
Does it take much effort for you to repackage .07 for 2.3 so maybe I can get 2.3 to work properly?

Thank you
roninwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 04:06 AM   #112
kronicd
kronicd began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Does savory output log files anywhere?

I've got one PDF that has been converting (supposedly) for a few days now.

I gave up and deleted the *.mobi *.txt and moved the PDF back into the documents directory, it recreated the "Converting*" documents, but I'm still waiting a few hours later.

Any advice?
kronicd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 07:35 PM   #113
chloew21
chloew21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
I just received my new Kindle2 as a gift last week and wanted to download Savory so that I can read .epub, .lit, .html and .pdf files found from the internet. The problem is, everytime I go to Settings>Update you Kindle, I get the message "Your update was not successful. Kindle will restart now..." What am I doing wrong?

I don't have any books in my Kindle before I followed the instructions for Savory

My Kindle2 version is 2.3.3 (followed by many numbers); US based, not Int'l

I put the file "savory-image-007.ext3" in the system folder of my Kindle2

I put the file "update_Savory-0.07-k2.bin" in the root folder of my Kindle2 (where the documents, system, etc. folders are)

Once I disconnect the USB from my PC, and go to Kindle2 Settings>Update your Kindle, I get the above message.

I feel quite defeated after repeating this exercise many times over now. I almost want to return it. Can anyone please help me? TIA, I'd very much appreciate your help.

Last edited by chloew21; 07-09-2010 at 07:37 PM.
chloew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #114
kornhill
kornhill began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
pdf is native support with version 2.52
kornhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:43 PM   #115
chloew21
chloew21 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kornhill View Post
pdf is native support with version 2.52
will downloading 2.52 help with the other problem I have currently with 2.3.3, which is when I open the .pdf file, I cannot increase the font size, the only setting that's not greyed out is the presentation (portrait, landscape, etc.)?

Last edited by chloew21; 07-11-2010 at 11:07 PM.
chloew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 04:23 PM   #116
angangang
angangang began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
does anyone know if this works in 2.5.2? i've installed savory but i can't tell if anything has been installed - it's definitely not converting after putting pdfs and fb2 files into the documents directory and unplugging the cable.

btw, the "native pdf support" is actually pretty terrible - the PDFs i've tried are either way too small or way too big, depending on the zoom.
angangang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:11 PM   #117
k2uskindle
k2uskindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I have a new kindle 2.5.6, and the fonts hack works fine. But Savory doesn't install, says update failed. Tried .06 and .07, and same result. Any ideas?
k2uskindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 PM   #118
ninjaneer
ninjaneer began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Greyed out "Update Your Kindle"

@jesse, kindle2 v2.5.3. placed the .EXT3 in the "system" directory. placed update_Savory-0.06.bin in kindle's root. unmounted kindle. menu-->system-->menu-->"update your kindle" greyed out. mounted kindle, removed binary, unmounted kindle, chose menu-->system-->menu-->restart kindle. once in "usb mode", copied binary into root, unmounted kindle, menu-->system-->menu-->"update your kindle" still greyed out. repeated a couple more times.

ninjaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:16 PM   #119
Artphotog
Artphotog began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
@Jesse is there a way for you to create savory for pc so the files are converted on your desktop and then we can transfer the files to our kindles?

Also are all the pdfs converted to a text file and an image file? Thank you for your help!!!
Artphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:25 PM   #120
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artphotog View Post
@Jesse is there a way for you to create savory for pc so the files are converted on your desktop and then we can transfer the files to our kindles?
Savory is the Calibre tool ported to the Kindle along with a monitoring app that auto converts files you put into a specific directory.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kindle 2, kindle conversion, savory