Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 10-02-2013, 09:05 AM   #1
SandRoader
SandRoader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Angry After long successful run Calibre now detonates on library

Calibre under Ubuntu 12.4.3 LTS has had a long successful run. Recent install of a GT620 graphics card necessitated by predecessor failure also demanded a refresh of Ubuntu 12.4.3 using the alternate update ISO file.

Since then Calibre, upon invocation, detects the Calibre Library, reads and begins display, then detonates to black screen and subsequent gnome re-login display.

Purge of installed Calibre and reinstall (V1.5.0) to a new location made no change to this behavior. Backup and erasure of Calibre Library made no change to the detonation of this fine app.

I think the single significant event here is the new graphics card, running NVidia319.xx graphics driver.

Anyone's offer of a place to start will be appreciated and investigated. I am temporarily stumped!
SandRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
What is the Permissions of those restored files and folders?
Did you also restore the configuration files in .config ?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
SandRoader
SandRoader began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
[SOLVED} The trouble was with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-319.49.run. I removed the NVIDIA video driver, and Calibre opened normally. I did not experience any trouble with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.30-pkg1.run that I had hung onto for so long.

Until I see reasons to install another NVIDIA driver, I'll just hang with the Ubuntu default. Calibre is more important to me than fast video.
SandRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandRoader View Post
[SOLVED} The trouble was with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-319.49.run. I removed the NVIDIA video driver, and Calibre opened normally. I did not experience any trouble with NVIDIA-Linux-x86-173.14.30-pkg1.run that I had hung onto for so long.

Until I see reasons to install another NVIDIA driver, I'll just hang with the Ubuntu default. Calibre is more important to me than fast video.
Nvidia drivers have given me grief (I use older: medium performance cards) I have lost more GFX cards to GPU fans
Old 10-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #5
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Nvdia, this is what Linus has to say about them...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	linus.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	112651  
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #6
Section8
Addict
Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Section8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Moon+ Reader on a cheap Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Nvidia drivers have given me grief (I use older: medium performance cards) I have lost more GFX cards to GPU fans
I hear you. The fan on my 2nd Nvidia card on this computer (GT 220 I think) started making a racket a couple of weeks ago & its temperature has topped 100C on one of the few games I play. I cleaned it & put a little machine oil on the fan & it is limping along now, but will have to be replaced soon.

This previous card was replaced when its fan died.
Section8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Section8 View Post
I hear you. The fan on my 2nd Nvidia card on this computer (GT 220 I think) started making a racket a couple of weeks ago & its temperature has topped 100C on one of the few games I play. I cleaned it & put a little machine oil on the fan & it is limping along now, but will have to be replaced soon.

This previous card was replaced when its fan died.
And they are all custom fans. No trip to Fry's or Jaemco will bail you out before the chip FRIES

(and I don't play those GPU intensive games. SOL.exe is my speed )
Old 10-02-2013, 10:25 PM   #8
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
The following suggestion probably won't work for theducks' considering his indentured servitude to Felis silvestris catus, but for anyone else it might work.

Open and remove the side panel of your computer case, permanently. Go ahead and toddle off, placing the unecessary part in the basement or attic or somewhere out of the way. Place a box, or window, fan of some sort near the opened side of the case and turn the fan on. (Note that a table- or desk-top fan isn't sufficient as it doesn't cover the majority of the side of the case.) You can direct the air to blow into, or out of, the case; blowing outward is better as it helps to prevent dust buildup.

If you're even a bit electrically capable, you could try using the radiator fan from smaller vehicles instead of a box/window fan. This has a slight advantage because, even on the lowest setting, most box/window fans are going to have more RPMs than you need. This might create a "drafty" feeling across your extremities. If you're particularly adept perhaps you could create a variable speed control.

Anyway, random thought.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #9
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
installed fat fans & water coolers for CPU and GPU about a year ago ... wood ... crossed ...

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, fail, library, reboot