Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-02-2014, 06:06 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Roku to add OverDrive Audiobooks

This is an expansion of the streaming service that OverDrive launched in Nov 2013 with a pilot program at the Los Angeles Public Library. So far, only a few libraries have this feature.

Coming soon to Roku: Library audiobooks and Streaming Videos!

Quote:
OverDrive is launching a Roku channel, which will enable your patrons and students to listen to audiobooks and watch Streaming Videos from your collection directly on their home television set. Librarians attending the Public Library Association (PLA) Conference in Indianapolis March 11-15 will be able to see a demonstration of the OverDrive Roku channel in booth #721.

Roku is a popular and inexpensive streaming audio and video device that can be connected to most TVs. The OverDrive Roku channel will provide consumers another way to access their local library digital audiobook and video catalog, making it easy to watch a movie or listen to MP3 audiobooks in just seconds. Roku comes preinstalled with popular channels including Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Pandora and others. Once launched, the OverDrive channel will be a free, no subscription service that all Roku users can easily select and then locate titles to borrow from their library.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 09:09 AM   #2
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Holy cow, I would so do this! I'm home during the day alone quite a bit, and let's face it, there's nothing on TV. I'd love to be able to easily play an audio book over the surround sound while doing chores. Yes, I can play it through the surround sound now, this would just be so much easier!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2014, 10:51 AM   #3
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
Holy cow, I would so do this! I'm home during the day alone quite a bit, and let's face it, there's nothing on TV. I'd love to be able to easily play an audio book over the surround sound while doing chores. Yes, I can play it through the surround sound now, this would just be so much easier!
S
Just FYI, LibriVox has a private Roku channel for its public domain audiobooks; the code is Q4DSY.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 11:59 AM   #4
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Just FYI, LibriVox has a private Roku channel for its public domain audiobooks; the code is Q4DSY.
Thanks for the info, I had no idea.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 04:05 PM   #5
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
Thanks for that. I had no idea.

And thanks tubemonkey for the info on a Roku channel coming for Overdrive audio. That would be perfect for me. I have nothing right now to hook a device to my home stereo, other than the roku. I don't have a MP3 player for audio books and for my Fire, I had to get a speaker to hear properly. But I want to be able to move around in my house while listening to the stereo.

I can't use ear buds as they just hurt me, so I have to use speakers. Unfortunately the cheaper speakers are hard for me to hear and understand the voices. The stereo is very adjustable in that way. Yay.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Another new channel for my Roku. One of my best purchases!
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:29 PM   #7
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
I added the Librivox channel. I was able to access the channel, but I wasn't able to get any of the audiobooks to play. Maybe it's time to get a new Roku box, mine is 1st Generation from back in 2008, it's been getting rather clunky.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:23 AM   #8
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
How do you find the Librivox channel? I can't find it in the channel store. Thanks.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 01:25 AM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmelreader View Post
How do you find the Librivox channel? I can't find it in the channel store. Thanks.
Private channels aren't in the Roku store.

Here's a video on adding them (Catlady posted the code above Q4DSY)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I added the Librivox channel. I was able to access the channel, but I wasn't able to get any of the audiobooks to play. Maybe it's time to get a new Roku box, mine is 1st Generation from back in 2008, it's been getting rather clunky.
I've got an original Roku in my bedroom and was given a Roku 3 for Christmas by my boss. The difference in performance is night and day, not to mention you can't get some channels (like Vudu) on the original Roku. The original still works fine (albeit slowly) for Amazon streaming which is what I occasionally use it for.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 03-03-2014 at 01:36 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:11 AM   #10
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post

I've got an original Roku in my bedroom and was given a Roku 3 for Christmas by my boss. The difference in performance is night and day,
This is very interesting because I have a Roku HD (2011 model) and the performance is not great. Takes a long time to load a movie and sometimes stops to buffer in the middle. I had assumed that this is because of our DSL line and/or wireless network, but I wonder if I would have better streaming with a newer model?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:19 AM   #11
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
When I tried it with my Roku3, the first clip took quite some time to get going. About 20 seconds. The others went a bit quicker. I haven't tried on my Roku2 upstairs yet.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
I have a Roku 1, bought earlier this year, and have no trouble getting the LibriVox channel, or with streaming in general.

ETA: Another private channel that may be of interest is the Internet Archive, code NMJS5. Plenty of old-time radio drama.

Last edited by Catlady; 03-03-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 02:28 PM   #13
Carmelreader
Groupie
Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Carmelreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD, kindle HDX 8.9, ipad pro, ipad mini 2, Voyage, Oasis 2
[QUOTE=AnemicOak;2777531]Private channels aren't in the Roku store.

Here's a video on adding them (Catlady posted the code above Q4DSY)...

Thank you!! Karma to you.
Carmelreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #14
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by elemenoP View Post
This is very interesting because I have a Roku HD (2011 model) and the performance is not great. Takes a long time to load a movie and sometimes stops to buffer in the middle. I had assumed that this is because of our DSL line and/or wireless network, but I wonder if I would have better streaming with a newer model?

eP
Don't know that you'd get better streaming. Streaming works great on both my boxes, it's just that the overall performance of the old one (menus, app operation) is really slow. Once I've selected a movie though it plays great on both with no buffering. A lot of things can affect streaming quality though. Internet speed (I usually get about 30Mbps), whether it's hooked up via wired or wireless network, the router (some older B & G routers especially can have problems).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 03:51 PM   #15
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I'm reluctant to upgrade my old Roku HD to a newer Roku because I'm upset with Roku for not keeping up development on mine longer. I wonder how other streamer boxes, like those from Netgear, compare?

Regarding the Libravox stuff, we should start a thread somewhere to recommended well-done Libravox recordings. Some are just...well...those folks have good intentions, but that's the nicest thing I can say.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote