Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 02-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #31
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
As I understand it there are a few authors that have pet readers...and their book has to look perfect in that reader. Unfortunately the client is a major driver in what needs to be produced, even when the client is under-educated.

For my personal books, I use the full capabilities of html5/css3...and will use epub3 when I get a good reader that supports it. It helps me to learn, and I enjoy reading my books. I'm still trying to compile a list of workarounds that I need to incorporate to make my PUBLIC books readable in the most devices.

Ideally EVERYONE would just produce a clean well constructed ePub that follows the standards, and then the users would learn that it isn't the book, but the reader that looks so ugly. IMO that is the only way to get those sub-standard apps to get fixed.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
As I understand it there are a few authors that have pet readers...and their book has to look perfect in that reader. Unfortunately the client is a major driver in what needs to be produced, even when the client is under-educated.

For my personal books, I use the full capabilities of html5/css3...and will use epub3 when I get a good reader that supports it. It helps me to learn, and I enjoy reading my books. I'm still trying to compile a list of workarounds that I need to incorporate to make my PUBLIC books readable in the most devices.

Ideally EVERYONE would just produce a clean well constructed ePub that follows the standards, and then the users would learn that it isn't the book, but the reader that looks so ugly. IMO that is the only way to get those sub-standard apps to get fixed.
Turtle:

The vast majority of big publishers are outsourcing their books (to India). They don't even PROOFREAD them, much less worry about how they're looking on some obscure or semi-obscure Droid reader. A "movement" by the small bookmakers of the world won't make a dent in what some reading app does, as together, we all don't put out a tiny percentage of the books. (And that doesn't even count all the self-published books that are DIY from Word files.)

So, while I'm all for the idea, I don't think it will amount to one mouthful of whale spit in the ocean. Not to discourage you, or anything. ;-)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
So what is it about India where they just can't get how to make a well formatted eBook?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #34
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Presumably the standard; people not being given time to learn how its done; local management setting unrealistic targets for the work to be done; unrealistically low prices being charged for the work; people claiming to have the knowledge and skills.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Given that a lot of BPH eBooks are using very similar code. My guess is the makers of these eBooks are using a preset InDesign template that is crap.
Advert
Old 02-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #36
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There are days when I wish I had the email address of one of those cut-rate Indian bookmakers!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:29 PM   #37
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
There are days when I wish I had the email address of one of those cut-rate Indian bookmakers!
Hang out here long enough and I bet you will see posts from at least one of them
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #38
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
Trust me, you don't want anything to do with them. I can do it much better then they can (overall).
Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Trust me, you don't want anything to do with them. I can do it much better then they can (overall).
Yes, Wolfie:

But you can't do it as cheaply, and therein lies the rub. Trust me when I tell you I am well-acquainted with this issue. I receive at least one email or Linked-In or Tweet or FB post per day, with companies in India seeking work. The biggest issue is that because the larger publishers and other humongous retailers Who Shall Not Be Named don't proof the output, the Indian companies have an extremely unrealistic view of the quality of their work. No proofing means no revision cycles, so, they think that the results are perfect! I mean, in fairness, why wouldn't they?

I assume, routinely, that these guys and the other countries like China that are coming along with cheap labor and books will finally put me out of a job, but...for the moment, we still manage to crawl along.

They're still not as bad as the guy who scammed that elderly client for $6K and put out a book that was so bad it didn't even reflow (every line was a paragraph, and he left the PDF page numbers in it), but on the other hand, they charge a lot less.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distributors, epub, finished, send