Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #1
nsg
nsg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
TeX class

Has somebody already created LaTeX document class to create pdfs formatted for reader?

I guess, it should include pages size, tiny margins, no page numbers, larger font sizes for body text, smaller font sizes for section heading text and some kind of easy access to "head" portion of the page -- to insert links for navigation and indication on where are we.

It is, probably, not such a big deal to make one for someone knowledgeable in Tex, but it is for me.
nsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 09:00 PM   #2
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Hadrien should be able to answer this one - feedbooks.com uses TeX to produce PDFs for Reader.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-05-2007, 02:52 AM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Yeah, you can take a look at our PRS files on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com
The most useful package is geometry: you basically set up the page size and the margins with this package.
I don't use the header/footer for e-ink readers though, they're only displayed on A4 PDFs on Feedbooks.
Hyphenation is highly recommended, it'll make your text much nicer overall.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #4
nsg
nsg began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Yeah, you can take a look at our PRS files on Feedbooks: http://www.feedbooks.com
I've seen the books, thank you.
The font is tad too large for my taste, though. Well better larger than smaller, I guess.

Do you have the template .tex file somewhere on your site? I haven't found one.

So far I've came up with what's below. The problem with it is that first page of every chapter still does have a page number and I did not figure out how to change font size used in section headings -- I would love to have them smaller.

The "page header" could be useful for refernce type books. I would put book name, chapter name, skip to next chapter link and go back to previous chapter in it. Maybe "go to index" link also.

\documentclass[final,openany]{book}
\pagestyle{empty}
\usepackage[paperwidth=3.54in,paperheight=4.72in,left=0.15in,t op=0.15in,bottom=0.15in,right=0.15in]{geometry}
\setlength{\paperwidth}{3.54in}
\setlength{\hoffset}{-1in}
\setlength{\oddsidemargin}{0.15in}
\setlength{\evensidemargin}{0.15in}
\setlength{\textwidth}{3.24in}
%
\setlength{\paperheight}{4.72in}
\setlength{\voffset}{-1in} %
\setlength{\textheight}{4.12in}
\setlength{\topmargin}{0.05in}
\setlength{\headheight}{0.1in}
\setlength{\headsep}{0.05in}