Notices

Old 06-20-2011, 04:17 PM   #1
Skyliner390
Skyliner390 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Converted files have a huge space between lines. Unreadable

Hi everybody.

I recently bought a kindle. I decided that it would help with my bed reading
Until now, I've been reading all my books on the computer, but I always missed reading before bed. With my new kindle I can do just that, or so I thought.

I converted a few books just to try it out. Two of them ( converted from .lit to .mobi )worked perfectly, however, the rest are displayed horribly. Theres a huge line space in between each sentence. The font size is OK, but the space is just too much. It makes any reading impossible.

I noted this only happens with PDF files. Coincidentally, 99% of my ebooks are PDF !! I tried playing with different options under the "look and feel" section, specially those relating to line spacing, but nothing works. I'm desperate.

Can anyone give me any tips or hint me in the right direction? I'm willing to dedicate the time to create a CSS style sheet, f that can help. Though I have no idea how to write CSS.

Any help is welcome,

Thanks.
Skyliner390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:22 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner390 View Post
I noted this only happens with PDF files. Coincidentally, 99% of my ebooks are PDF !!
Have you read this:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118605
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 12:03 AM   #3
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
You can control the spacing between paragraphs under look and feel. Either check the 'remove spaces between paragraphs' option, or just enter the following in extra css:
Code:
p {margin-top:.3em; margin-bottom:.3em}
Tune margins as desired.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Skyliner390

Thank you Idolse, I'll try that, though my problem is not with paragraphs but with the space between the lines. e.g

Code:
" The Amazon Kindle is an e-book reader developed by Amazon.com subsidiary Lab126 

which uses wireless connectivity to enable users to shop for, download, browse, and read 

e-books, newspapers, magazines, blogs, and other digital media.[1] The Kindle hardware 

devices use an E Ink electronic paper display that shows up to 16 shades of gray, 

minimizes power use and simulates reading on paper.Several hardware devices support 

this platform, including a main "Kindle" line and a parallel "Kindle DX" line. "

Last edited by Skyliner390; 06-21-2011 at 10:02 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:44 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner390 View Post
Thank you Idolse, I'll try that, though my problem is not with paragraphs but with the space between the lines. e.g

Code:
" The Amazon Kindle is an e-book reader developed by Amazon.com subsidiary Lab126 

which uses wireless connectivity to enable users to shop for, download, browse, and read 

e-books, newspapers, magazines, blogs, and other digital media.[1] The Kindle hardware 

devices use an E Ink electronic paper display that shows up to 16 shades of gray, 

minimizes power use and simulates reading on paper.Several hardware devices support 

this platform, including a main "Kindle" line and a parallel "Kindle DX" line. "
Those appear to be Hard breaks.
As a test only:
Code:
p {margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0}
If they come together, they are being treated as Paragraphs <p>...</p>

play (down, a smidgen at a time) with the Unwrap factor in conversion
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 12:22 PM   #6
Skyliner390

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Those appear to be Hard breaks.
As a test only:
Code:
p {margin-top: 0; margin-bottom: 0}
If they come together, they are being treated as Paragraphs <p>...</p>

play (down, a smidgen at a time) with the Unwrap factor in conversion
Sir, you are an absolute genius. setting margins to 0 brought the text together alright. Then I activated heuristics and lowered the unwrap factor to.30 and...magic, I can read properly now!!

Or almost... The page header containing the book's name and the footer containing the page number blend with the beginning and ending of the first and last paragraph respectively. But thats a really minor nuisance, and doesn't affect my reading at all.

Thank you very much

To any one experiencing the same problem: You must also disable calibre's line height adjustment by setting it to 0% or it won't work.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
Skyliner390

After further searching I found about the "search and replace" feature.
I used
Code:
<A name=\d+></a>
and
Code:

\d+<br>
to get rid of the page numbers.

Now everything looks terrific. This CSS is more fun than I thought
Old 06-22-2011, 05:41 AM   #8
madeinlisboa
Enjoy Life
madeinlisboa began at the beginning.

I already had to low the wrap factor as low as 0.10 with no visible problems.
madeinlisboa is offline   Reply With Quote