Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #1
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Deleting file type

Hi all, I am converting all of my old Sony 505 files to the Kindle format but must be doing something wrong.

Heres what I did, I converted over 500 books which were in text format then after they had converted I deleted the txt format because I only want to be left with mobi files. When i deleted the txt files I did a search for the newly converted mobi format books but they were not there. I looked in the recycle bin and all the files were there. I restored all files and they went back to the calibre library but when I do a search for them within Calibre they are not found. wha is the best way to fix this?

Thanks in advance

Kev
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 03:33 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Simply putting the files into the Calibre folder structurewill not make Calibre see them. I suspect that you will have to add them all back in via the "Add Books" facility.

Just for interest how did you delete the old TXT format files - vai Calibre or directly using Operating System level facilities. You should always do this sort of thing via calibre if you want to keep Calibre in step with the underlying file system.

I tend to not delete old file formats as disk space is cheap and I may want to come back and convert again for some reason. Calibre does not mind keeping multiple formats of the same book around.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 03:54 AM   #3
kevinofengland
Connoisseur
kevinofengland began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
Simply putting the files into the Calibre folder structurewill not make Calibre see them. I suspect that you will have to add them all back in via the "Add Books" facility.

Just for interest how did you delete the old TXT format files - vai Calibre or directly using Operating System level facilities. You should always do this sort of thing via calibre if you want to keep Calibre in step with the underlying file system.

I tend to not delete old file formats as disk space is cheap and I may want to come back and convert again for some reason. Calibre does not mind keeping multiple formats of the same book around.
I deleted them from within Calibre, I highlighted all txt files then did the search and all the newly created mobi files had gone too.

The only reason I wanted to delete them is because when I sync the new Kindle I only want mobi files to be synced. Will Calibre send every file or only compatible ones? If it is the latter I won't bother deleting.

Thanks

Kev
kevinofengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:02 AM   #4
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofengland View Post
The only reason I wanted to delete them is because when I sync the new Kindle I only want mobi files to be synced. Will Calibre send every file or only compatible ones? If it is the latter I won't bother deleting.
For each device type you can configure the formats that you want to be allowed to be sent, and put them into priority order (if more than one compatible format is found). If you try and send a book for which there is not yet a compatible format Calibre will ask if you want it to be converted as part of the transfer process. You should look at the Kindle device plugin for the appropriate settings in your case.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 04:11 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinofengland View Post
I deleted them from within Calibre, I highlighted all txt files then did the search and all the newly created mobi files had gone too.
You highlighted books in the main book list window and said remove. This removes the book, all formats, and the entry for that book.

In the future if you wish to remove all text files, highlight all books and open the edit metadata window then select the format you wish to remove from the drop down remove formats window.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 05:10 AM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You highlighted books in the main book list window and said remove. This removes the book, all formats, and the entry for that book.

In the future if you wish to remove all text files, highlight all books and open the edit metadata window then select the format you wish to remove from the drop down remove formats window.
Adding to this.
If you highlight all the books, then press the little arrow next to the 'remove books' icon there's a few options, remove one format(txt) or all formats except(mobi), will do what you want.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote