Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #46
demoric
Kindle 2 User
demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.demoric has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Just installed Version 0.10 and it worked! Thank you for developing this. My first document has already converted and even has an (images) extension. My only question is does the text conversion take longer?

While the images looks very good and will be helpful with graphic heavy books, some pdf's I have are text only, and all of the zooming, and rotating seems a bit much for a regular document.

Anyways, I'm still excited and I'll check my kindle in a few more minutes.
Thanks again.
demoric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:12 PM   #47
meep!
meep! began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Here's what I did my last go around. First uninstall everything using the update-removesavory.bin. You'll have to remove the savory-image.ext3 file yourself. Re-install Savory .06 BUT use the .ext3 file from 4-10-09 in your system directory..

When you either download or drag and drop your PDF or ePub files into the "documents" folder, wait. It takes a little while for Savory to recognize and convert the files. I'd give it at least 5-10 minutes (though I haven't put my stopwatch to it yet).
I updated my Kindle firmware to 2.0.2 and did this and it seems to be working.

Thanks again for this James.
meep! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 02:19 AM   #48
erickson77
erickson77 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Lonely Planet PDF's with Savory?

I have a Kindle 2 and am trying to figure out a practical way to view Lonely Planet Guide PDFs. I have converted the pdf to .prc and .mobi files (using calibre and/or mobipocket creator), but both of these mess up or remove the images. There are lots of maps, tables and other images that are pretty essential to a guide book--any ideas on whether Savory will work for that? Also, is there a way with Savory to edit the meta data so that the title shows up properly in the Kindle library?

I'm kinda new at this, but am dreaming of having those LP guides on my Kindle. Woud appreciate any suggestions!
erickson77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #49
rbhamilton
rbhamilton began at the beginning.

This Kindle PDF reader is amazing but it doesn't seem to be a native PDF viewer for the kindle. Instead it seems to be a document converter for the Kindle. It does work but it's not fast and I can't seem to get it to see PDF's I drop into the documents folder.

Since it's going to be a conversion anyway, there is an easier and faster way and I think the conversions are somewhat better. E-Mail the PDF as an attachment to:

yourname@free.amazon.com

They will e-mail you back a link and you can copy the file to your Documents folder.

Or if you want it wirelessly and don't mind paying 10 cents you can e-mail it to yourname@amazon.com and it will just show up like everything else you buy.

--DB
rbhamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #50
Gopal
Gopal began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickson77 View Post
I'm kinda new at this, but am dreaming of having those LP guides on my Kindle. Woud appreciate any suggestions!
Try PDFRead. Also see here:
http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,4751.0.html

Regards,
Gopal
Gopal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:46 PM   #51
jay4
jay4 began at the beginning.

Jesse,

This is amazing. Just what Amazon should have done in the first place. Thanks.

You have screenshots on your blog showing "Full Page", "Fit to Height" etc. How do you access those views?

Jonathan
jay4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:53 PM   #52
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay4 View Post

You have screenshots on your blog showing "Full Page", "Fit to Height" etc. How do you access those views?
They become available in the menu when you have the pdf open. If you go back to my post #41 in this thread you'll see what the menu looks like.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 10:52 AM   #53
snc
snc began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
Thanks so much for writing this wonderful application. I just installed the 4-10 version following the instructions you have at blog.fsck.com. Savory converts pdfs that I transfer via the usb cable, but when I try to download a pdf from the web, I get the message:
"Basic Web cannot download this kind of file. Only files with the extension .AZW, .PRC, .MOBI, or .TXT can be downloaded to your Kindle."
Any suggestions on how to overcome this?

Being able to read transferred files is already wonderful -- thanks so much for your efforts.
snc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 12:14 PM   #54
snc

Update to my previous post:

If I try to download http://arxiv.org/pdf/0904.2197 (which is a pdf file), I get the error message. But downloading http://arxiv.org/pdf/0904.2197.pdf, it works perfectly.

Perhaps the package could be tweaked so that both downloads work?

Once again, many, many thanks for your great work.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:58 PM   #55
hma53
hma53 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
version .10 works well with some pdfs with the creation of PNG files. however, with others, only the text file is generated and no PNG is made. Can't seem to find a pattern to this. Anyone else have this problem?
hma53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 04:52 PM   #56
supergeri
supergeri began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hma53 View Post
version .10 works well with some pdfs with the creation of PNG files. however, with others, only the text file is generated and no PNG is made. Can't seem to find a pattern to this. Anyone else have this problem?
I'm getting this too. Certain pdfs just come out as text, even if they have graphics.
supergeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #57
snc

I am also getting this, that certain pdfs convert only to text even though they have equations and images. After a few failed I went back and checked that a file that converted successfully before still does, so it definitely seems to depend on the file.
Old 04-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #58
hma53
hma53 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
one of the pdfs that did not convert to PNGs was a large ~600 page book. I used PDF splitting software (pdfsam.org) to split the document into smaller chapters. I transferred some of the generated PDFs to the Kindle and they were converted to the PNG. Don't quite know the reasoning behind this.
hma53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 06:32 AM   #59
pilotdrh2003
Pilot & Reader
pilotdrh2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/3
Jesse,
Just dropping you a line to let you know I ordered my wife's K2 through your site. Keep up the good work.
pilotdrh2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2009, 10:06 PM   #60
mpfaraujo
mpfaraujo began at the beginning.

i first installed the version 0.06 and have the same problem that lancel and alfarhan .. same files same version note. WHat should i expect? the *.pdf listed or some "working on conversion" signal?? (i cant download pdf on my browser cause im not in USA.

Ty for your help. I really need this stuff working cause i read a lot of math content.

Forget it .. just didnt read the rest of the pages. IM downloading the new versin 0.08.

ty again.

Last edited by mpfaraujo; 05-18-2009 at 10:21 PM.
mpfaraujo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kindle 2, kindle conversion, savory