Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian
el.jeffe58 began at the beginning.

Device: Fire HDX7, Voyage, PW2, Touch 3G, Fire TV
Best Buy warranty for Kindle PW2

Hi. I have a Paperwhite 2 that has a problem that likely cannot be resolved. That said, if I return it to Best Buy, do they warranty the KPW2 beyond their 14 day return window, and if so, for up to how long? I bought it when it was released on Oct 2.

The problem is that the KPW2 does not eject from Mac even after I eject on the Mac. It is bugging me silly and I have restored the KPW2 two times to no avail to try to resolve.

I wonder if calibre has something to do with it. I will try something before I call Amazon or return to Best Buy. Anyways, fi anyone knows about the warranty from BB please advise.

Thanks.
el.jeffe58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 03:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's a firmware issue. Upgrade your PW2 to firmware 5.4.2 and it'll be fixed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In the real world one of the hats I wear is technical support and as such I have one thing to try before you return it. Try plugging in your Paperwhite to a Windows PC and see if it connects and ejects properly. The issue may be one of three things at this point: 1) Firmware; 2) Software (your mac's OS may not be able to eject the paper white) or 3) hardware, the paper white. If it does eject properly then go talk to the apple folks on this forum and see if they have a solution, if it does not then you have established that the problem is either 1 or 3.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
In the real world one of the hats I wear is technical support and as such I have one thing to try before you return it. Try plugging in your Paperwhite to a Windows PC and see if it connects and ejects properly. The issue may be one of three things at this point: 1) Firmware; 2) Software (your mac's OS may not be able to eject the paper white) or 3) hardware, the paper white. If it does eject properly then go talk to the apple folks on this forum and see if they have a solution, if it does not then you have established that the problem is either 1 or 3.
Please read what I said above. It's a known issue with the PW2 that's fixed in firmware version 5.4.2.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:18 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

OP, the Amazon warranty is 1 year and will cover hardware issues. Deal directly with Amazon rather than Best Buy.

HarryT, I cannot speak for all who had the Mac-Kindle connection issues, but with my PW2, and with the ones I read about, the issue was not as the OP describes. My PW2 simply would not connect to the Mac without jumping through hoops. You are correct in that FW 5.4.2 corrected this issue. But I never had any issues with the PW2 failing to eject while running FW 5.4.0 or 5.4.1. So I think the OP's issue is a different one.
Advert
Old 12-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's a firmware issue. Upgrade your PW2 to firmware 5.4.2 and it'll be fixed.
I am on 5.4.2 Harry. Did that the day it came out.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #7
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
OP, the Amazon warranty is 1 year and will cover hardware issues. Deal directly with Amazon rather than Best Buy.

HarryT, I cannot speak for all who had the Mac-Kindle connection issues, but with my PW2, and with the ones I read about, the issue was not as the OP describes. My PW2 simply would not connect to the Mac without jumping through hoops. You are correct in that FW 5.4.2 corrected this issue. But I never had any issues with the PW2 failing to eject while running FW 5.4.0 or 5.4.1. So I think the OP's issue is a different one.
Jack is correct. I had the old issue where Kindle PW2 would not remount after unmounting to the Mac HD. 5.4.2 did, in fact, correct that. This issue is different where PW2 will not unmount after ejecting from the Mac HD. Thanks for clarifying Jack!
Old 12-12-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Good tips here JB. Thank you. I have no pc but I will find one to test it. It is not consistent though so I am not sure I can get a big enough sample. I will try.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:14 AM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I'm curious about this. I have this problem sometimes: that something I've plugged into the mac doesn't eject, or I can't see the volume to eject it. I can't remember if it's happened with my Kindle or not; I rarely plug my Kindle into the computer. But when this happens, I just unplug whatever-it-is anyway, and then I get that warning that I could have damaged the disk by not ejecting it. But could you really damage the disk? If you know you aren't doing anything with the disk, like transferring data?
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder if this could be a Mavericks issue? OP are you running Mavericks (OS 10.9) on your Mac. That is what I'm running on mine. I don't have a Kindle at the moment so I cannot test. I have never encountered that issue with ejecting a Kindle or other devices. It could be there is another Kindle driver issue with Mavericks, or Mac OS X in general. I would definitely call Amazon's Kindle Support.
Old 12-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
el.jeffe58
Vocophorian

Yes Jack, Mavericks 10.9 I believe you may be correct there. I will call support now and report as soon as I get any meaningful answers.