Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-03-2013, 08:01 PM   #1
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
The bad Kobo customer service thread

I've been a real fanboy of Kobo for the past couple of weeks. Just to show that I'm not biased, I'll start this thread so we can all winge (whinge?) in one place!
I got my Aura about a week ago. I tried to sync it when I got it through the desktop but it would always hang when I got to some old newspaper trial subscriptions that I had and canceled over 2 years ago. I sent Kobo an email asking if they could delete those subscriptions from my library (because I don't seem to be able to) so that I can actually sync my Aura. That was on April 27th and I got an automated reply an hour later saying that they would reply within 24-48 hours. Well finally 4 days later I got another reply saying that my issue has been escalated to Tier 2 and they'll try to resolve my problem as soon as possible. Well three days later and still no contact. Really, Kobo? Seven days and counting just to do something as simple as delete a few cancelled subscriptions from my account? Is it really that difficult?
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Canuck, I would be v peed off if I got a similar response from Kobo CS. Luckily I have never had to contact them!!! I have installed the desktop application but I never use it. I do all my updates and syncs via WiFi. Admittedly, I do not have the added complication of newspaper subscriptions because they are not available in my country. If you cancelled your subscription two years ago, that is shocking that Kobo has not updated its records to reflect this.
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
Is it really that difficult?
Evidently, yes it is. I ordered the Aura twice, for which Kobo claimed they had no record of either order, even though their own ordering system generated order #s for each one! When I ordered for the 3rd time & Kobo was able to "see" the order in their system, I requested cancellation for the 1st 2 orders. Kobo reps confirmed cancellation, for which I have the email confirming! Yet somehow I now have 2 more Auras & sleep covers now on their way to me, and accompanying credit card charges!

So yes - it IS that difficult for Kobo! I'm simply amazed how they have managed to stay in business given their extreme incompetence!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:18 PM   #4
guitarizt
Connoisseur
guitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-booksguitarizt has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-T1; PW1; H2O
I'll be surprised if Kobo is still around in 5 years. The competition in the ebook market is fierce, Amazon is the big player, and Kobo is only ahead right now because they are 6 months ahead of the next gen ereader curve.

The competition in the market is too great for Kobo to survive with such horrible customer service and shipping times for the Aura HD. US customers can't even buy an Aura HD in a B&M store yet which looks very unprofessional. A lot of us are only paying for the Aura HD because it is slightly ahead of the next gen curve. Technology will move so fast in the next 5 years that ereaders will be largely satisfactory for most people. Then it'll come down to how easy it is to purchase ebooks and customer service.

Amazon has both those areas covered and it's not even close. There's no reason to think that Kobo will change. If anything I would expect it to get worse because they'll have to deal with more orders and problems than with whatever they put out in the future than what they did with the Aura HD.
guitarizt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #5
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
From the Free Dictionary:

whine (hwn, wn)
v. whined, whin·ing, whines
v.intr.
1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
2. To complain or protest in a childish fashion.
3. To produce a sustained noise of relatively high pitch: jet engines whining.
v.tr.
To utter with a whine.
n.
1. The act of whining.
2. A whining sound.
3. A complaint uttered in a plaintive tone.

Dr. (Mister Know-it-all) Drib

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-04-2013 at 08:25 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2013, 08:47 AM   #6
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarizt View Post
I'll be surprised if Kobo is still around in 5 years. The competition in the ebook market is fierce, Amazon is the big player, and Kobo is only ahead right now because they are 6 months ahead of the next gen ereader.
I don't disagree with anything you say, except I seriously doubt Kobo is "ahead" of Kindle, B&N, or any other big time player, in any category - sales of hardware, sales of ebooks, revenues, profits, or any category of significance. The only thing they have done is introduce a piece of hardware with the best screen resolution to date.

What they HAVE been able to beat Amazon at is, in my opinion, implementation of the front light capability. I also have the Kindle Paperwhite, and the lighting is really disappointing, especially when you put it up against the Aura HD. But I don't think this will be anywhere near enough to overtake Amazon, overall. It's temporary at best.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:48 AM   #7
93terp
Fear The Turtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

whine (hwn, wn)
v.intr.
1. To utter a plaintive, high-pitched, protracted sound, as in pain, fear, supplication, or complaint.
v.tr.
To utter with a whine.
n.
1. The act of whining.
2. A whining sound.

Who exactly are you saying is whining?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:04 AM   #8
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Quote:
I'll be surprised if Kobo is still around in 5 years. The competition in the ebook market is fierce, Amazon is the big player, and Kobo is only ahead right now because they are 6 months ahead of the next gen ereader curve.
Kobo will definitely be around in 5 years. They're not ahead of Amazon but they are probably the #1 international brand and they're owned by a huge company Rakuten with deep pockets who are battling it out with Amazon for a huge market in Japan . Anyways that's beyond the point. We're supposed to complain about Kobo service here of which I am sure there are many valid complaints.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
buffaloseven
Watching the Sky
buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.buffaloseven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:

The competition in the market is too great for Kobo to survive with such horrible customer service and shipping times for the Aura HD. US customers can't even buy an Aura HD in a B&M store yet which looks very unprofessional. A lot of us are only paying for the Aura HD because it is slightly ahead of the next gen curve. Technology will move so fast in the next 5 years that ereaders will be largely satisfactory for most people. Then it'll come down to how easy it is to purchase ebooks and customer service.

Amazon has both those areas covered and it's not even close. There's no reason to think that Kobo will change. If anything I would expect it to get worse because they'll have to deal with more orders and problems than with whatever they put out in the future than what they did with the Aura HD.
Again, Kobo can be a much more viable option than anywhere in the world that isn't the United States of America. Kobo is a much better option than Amazon even here in Canada.

I think it will all come down to the quality of the store in the long term. Amazon's store is good, but the selection is limited in non-U.S. regions. Kobo's selection is quite good in many non-U.S. regions, but the store...well it could use work.

In a sense, I think it'd be easier for Amazon to expand their international content selection than for Kobo to build a better store (several aspects of coding doesn't seem to be Kobo's strongest suit), but if Kobo was willing to throw a bunch of money at the problem, it could easily be fixed.

But that's all I'll say; I've had my Kobo Glo since October and haven't had a single reason to complian (other than the odd non-critical firmware bug), so I'll show myself out the back door.
buffaloseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
The bad Kobo customer service thread

Did they remove live chat support from their website? I wanted to ask a quick question a few weeks ago and I couldn't find it and I didn't want to email them because I know they'd take long to reply.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 10:42 AM   #11
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post

whine (hwn, wn)
v.intr.
v.tr.
To utter with a whine.
n.
1. The act of whining.
2. A whining sound.

But 'whine' and 'whinge' are two different words not a spelling error:

Grammarphobia blog explains

Quote:
Both words are very old; “whine” dates from 1275 and “whinge” from 1150. Originally, “whine” referred merely to the sound. But “whinge” implied a wailing or crying: the sound was one of distress. Eventually, to “whine” also came to mean complain or express discontent.

Though Americans use only one word, “whine,” the British use both: “whining” covers a variety of meanings, including sounds made by people, animals, or inanimate objects, and “whingeing” (also spelled “whinging”) is more specifically for peevish or fretful complaining. The British sometimes use the terms together for emphasis: “Stop your whingeing and whining!”
Witty (picky little show-off) Username
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Who exactly are you saying is whining?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck_in_Japan View Post
I've been a real fanboy of Kobo for the past couple of weeks. Just to show that I'm not biased, I'll start this thread so we can all winge (whinge?) in one place!

Why, right here, my good man! Right here!

Dr. (knows-how-to-laugh) Drib
Old 05-04-2013, 12:28 PM   #13
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
But 'whine' and 'whinge' are two different words not a spelling error:

Grammarphobia blog explains

Witty (picky little show-off) Username

Thanks to you, I just learned a new word!

Don (embarrassed like a sleeping bed-bug) Drib
Old 05-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #14
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Did they remove live chat support from their website? I wanted to ask a quick question a few weeks ago and I couldn't find it and I didn't want to email them because I know they'd take long to reply.
I've used it yesterday but can't say, of course, if it's available everywhere.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #15
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
I've used it yesterday but can't say, of course, if it's available everywhere.
It was available to me. I always preferred live chat over email when wanting to contact Kobo customer service.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote