Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Vox and original Kobo
How to install Calibre?

I tried to install Calibre on my Vox, as I know many of you recommend it. I tried downloading it straight from the Dolphin Browser on my Vox but the 4 choices were Windows, Linux, OSX, and Portable. Not sure which one was best for an Android platform, or whether this was the best way to do it at all.

Would someone be willing to outline the best/easiest way to install it? It would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sure useful to other readers here. I'm moderately tech-y.

cindiaugustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:06 PM   #2
jefftheworld
Groupie
jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.jefftheworld can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox
Calibre is a desktop program used to sync your books, convert files and organize your library.
jefftheworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast
cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.cindiaugustine could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Okay, I must have misunderstood. I do have it on my desktop, but haven't explored it much yet. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 11-12-2011, 11:31 PM   #4
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
You can view your calibre using the content server. You can set add it as a catalogue in the aldiko app. You will be able to load your books wirelessly this way.
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2011, 11:34 PM   #5
mcrmama
Addict
mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.mcrmama 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Instructions part way down in this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=155802
mcrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #6
yoshid
yoshid began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
here is a link to calibre 3.2 for android.
http://www.filestube.com/9HRxoT5IcGV...2-Android.html
yoshid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
cindiaugustine
Enthusiast

Thanks mcrmama and Yoshid, I'll follow up on that. :-)
Old 11-13-2011, 07:16 AM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Actually Calibre is now at version 8.26 and if you want it to detect your Vox when plugged into your computer, that is the only version that detects both the Vox and a mounted SD card (as storage devices) so you can do transfers with a wired connection.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:01 AM   #9
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
You can also wirelessly transfer books in your Calibre library to your Vox using the Calibre content server.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #10
some1else
Enthusiast
some1else began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPhone 4, Kindle 3G
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
Actually Calibre is now at version 8.26 and if you want it to detect your Vox when plugged into your computer, that is the only version that detects both the Vox and a mounted SD card (as storage devices) so you can do transfers with a wired connection.
still struggling here ... Calibre on my PC now recognizes my Vox, I send the books to the device but I cannot find them on the vox (I can't import using library because they are public library borrowed Abode DRM epubs). I have Aldiko on the Vox but it can't seem to find the new books to import.
some1else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #11
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by some1else View Post
still struggling here ... Calibre on my PC now recognizes my Vox, I send the books to the device but I cannot find them on the vox (I can't import using library because they are public library borrowed Abode DRM epubs). I have Aldiko on the Vox but it can't seem to find the new books to import.
1- open Aldiko
2- tap the Home button within Aldiko (the one that looks like a house)
3- tap the SD card icon
4- tap on the folder called "eBooks"
5- tap on the Vox's home button (the one that has 4 horizontal lines)
6- on the Aldiko menu, tap "select all" (or if you just want some of the books you can check them off one at a time)
7- once you have at least 1 book checked off, in the Aldiko menu you will see the "import to Aldiko" button
8- tap the button and the book is added to your bookshelf

Let me know if you have any problems!
Old 11-15-2011, 07:00 PM   #12
Cdesja5
Wizard

Before doing this, make sure that you have entered your ADE username and password into Aldiko... Do this by going to the Aldiko Home menu, tapping on the Vox Home button and then tapping "Settings". Adobe DRM is the top item in the menu, tap on it and enter your credentials...
PS: if your Adobe Digital Editions credentials are entered on the Vox, you should be able to import using the server (wirelessly) as your device is authorized with Adobe. You won't be able to open the books however once they have expired...

Last edited by Cdesja5; 11-15-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:17 PM   #13
some1else
Enthusiast
some1else began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPhone 4, Kindle 3G
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdesja5 View Post
1- open Aldiko
2- tap the Home button within Aldiko (the one that looks like a house)
3- tap the SD card icon
4- tap on the folder called "eBooks"
5- tap on the Vox's home button (the one that has 4 horizontal lines)
6- on the Aldiko menu, tap "select all" (or if you just want some of the books you can check them off one at a time)
7- once you have at least 1 book checked off, in the Aldiko menu you will see the "import to Aldiko" button
8- tap the button and the book is added to your bookshelf

Let me know if you have any problems!

thanks Cdesja, I appreciate all the help you've given me here and other threads. (Kobo help took 10 days to respond and then only said they forwarded my problem to a tier 2 support)

I think I really have things screwed up now. My PC showed the epub on the SDcard but Aldiko never showed it in the EBooks file, though I tried over and over. I restarted Vox but still no. So I thought I'd uninstall and reinstall Aldiko. But now I can't get the download from aldiko.com, when i enter my email I get this error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/base/python_runtime/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/ext/webapp/_webapp25.py", line 703, in __call__
handler.post(*groups)
File "/base/data/home/apps/aldikoltd/1.353928688094224231/getapk.py", line 32, in post
send_download_link(email)
File "/base/data/home/apps/aldikoltd/1.353928688094224231/getapk.py", line 65, in send_download_link
message.send()
File "/base/python_runtime/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/mail.py", line 891, in send
make_sync_call('mail', self._API_CALL, message, response)
File "/base/python_runtime/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/apiproxy_stub_map.py", line 94, in MakeSyncCall
return stubmap.MakeSyncCall(service, call, request, response)
File "/base/python_runtime/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/apiproxy_stub_map.py", line 308, in MakeSyncCall
rpc.CheckSuccess()
File "/base/python_runtime/python_lib/versions/1/google/appengine/api/apiproxy_rpc.py", line 133, in CheckSuccess
raise self.exception
OverQuotaError: The API call mail.Send() required more quota than is available.
some1else is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
Cdesja5
Wizard

I am not an expert on programming etc. so can't really help you with your error! But using common sense we can probably figure something out. If all fails, you could do a factory reset...
When you enter your email? What do you mean? where exactly do you enter your email and get this error?
Also, do you have Astro (file manager) installed on your Vox? If you do, you should be able to see the files with that?
Old 11-15-2011, 09:28 PM   #15
Cdesja5
Wizard

Aldiko download at:
http://www.mediafire.com/?paslcmm6wklt1md

Astro download at:
http://www.mediafire.com/?6bfqlna3llfcfuw