Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #1
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
Off topic: Use ipod touch as iphone

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,509804,00.html

"The best part of these applications — which require the second-generation iPod Touch that came out last year — is that they are free to download, and calls to other people using the same app won't cost you anything.

Two of the services I've tried, Truphone and Fring, will also let you make free calls to Google Talk users and type instant messages to friends online."
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Bah, I have a first gen.
I'm just waiting for the 32gb iphone then I'll grab one. They'll probably be out around June.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Bah, I have a first gen.
I'm just waiting for the 32gb iphone then I'll grab one. They'll probably be out around June.
Let's hope. I have a first-gen 16GB iPhone. Been waiting for a 32GB model before I upgrade to 3G and it's kinda hard doing all that waiting.

P.S.
Is it just me or does anyone else have a 2G iPhone and noticed how unbearably slow EDGE has been recently? When I first got my iPhone, it was pretty okay, but now, it's just been extremely slow.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 03:57 AM   #4
george-harrison
george-harrison began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi, what is the difference between these 2 models iPhone 3G and Blackberry storm?
What are their specifications, one can you tell me?Thanks in advance
george-harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
macgirl
geeky girl
macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macgirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone 3GS, former Kindle owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by george-harrison View Post
Hi, what is the difference between these 2 models iPhone 3G and Blackberry storm?
What are their specifications, one can you tell me?Thanks in advance
There are multiple differences between these 2 devices, with the most significant being the operating systems each use. You'd be better served by reading reviews of these devices to get a feel for what each can and can't do. Here's one for the Storm and here's one for the iPhone 3G. iPhone specs are here and Storm specs are here.

In short, the Storm is a more business-oriented device with excellent email capabilities and the ability to edit Microsoft Office documents with included software. Its multimedia capabilities aren't that great. The iPhone is not too far behind the Storm in terms of email now, but it's not nearly as popular with businesses as Blackberrys are (and my guess is it won't ever be, at least not for a long time). The iPhone is an excellent multimedia device for video and music, and there are over 25,000 3rd-party applications for it now. There is a new firmware version, 3.0, that will add much more functionality to the iPhone arriving this summer (it will be a free upgrade).
macgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Asus Transformer, WIFI Xoom, EVO LTE, 3G Paperwhite 10/2
Just wait until OS 3.0 is released and you can tether the Touch to your cell phone for internet then you can even use Skype outside of WiFi hotspots. Also you will be able to use bluetooth headseats
nobylspoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Uhh... Isn't tethering supposed to be the other way around? You can tether a computer to the iPhone so you get internet on the computer even if you don't have wifi.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:31 AM   #8
nobylspoon
Zealot
nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nobylspoon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
Uhh... Isn't tethering supposed to be the other way around? You can tether a computer to the iPhone so you get internet on the computer even if you don't have wifi.

Yes that is one way to tether but as far as the ipod touch goes (2nd Gen) if you have a cell phone with bluetooth and a data plan you can tether your ipod to the cell phone for internet, skype, sms messaging, etc.

I use AT&T's GoPhone service (prepaid) they offer data packages for that which is a whooooole lot cheaper then paying the $80/month for an iPhone.

This only works for the 2nd Gen touch because they are unlocking the Nike+ bluetooth which is not included in the 1st Gen.
Old 04-06-2009, 12:07 PM   #9
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Let's hope. I have a first-gen 16GB iPhone. Been waiting for a 32GB model before I upgrade to 3G and it's kinda hard doing all that waiting.

P.S.
Is it just me or does anyone else have a 2G iPhone and noticed how unbearably slow EDGE has been recently? When I first got my iPhone, it was pretty okay, but now, it's just been extremely slow.
Supposedly AT&T was going to start redirecting their resources towards 3G at the expense of EDGE. So maybe your area is a recipient of that brilliant plan...
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #10
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
Yes that is one way to tether but as far as the ipod touch goes (2nd Gen) if you have a cell phone with bluetooth and a data plan you can tether your ipod to the cell phone for internet, skype, sms messaging, etc.
If that's the case, then tethering is allowed on your cellphone, not the iPod Touch. The iPod Touch is just like a computer here and unlocking bluetooth just means you have an additional method available for wireless networking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobylspoon View Post
I use AT&T's GoPhone service (prepaid) they offer data packages for that which is a whooooole lot cheaper then paying the $80/month for an iPhone.
It wouldn't be for me. I just checked my iPhone usage and for the month of March, data usage was at 68MB. At GoPhone rates, that's already $680 just for internet usage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
Supposedly AT&T was going to start redirecting their resources towards 3G at the expense of EDGE. So maybe your area is a recipient of that brilliant plan...
Guess that's understandable in my area. I live near Los Angeles so AT&T probably wants pretty good 3G coverage here. Whatever 3G upgrades they're doing doesn't seem to help much, though. My parents and brother all have 3G phones and we all get around the same signal.
Old 04-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #11
nobylspoon
Zealot

Quote:
It wouldn't be for me. I just checked my iPhone usage and for the month of March, data usage was at 68MB. At GoPhone rates, that's already $680 just for internet usage.

Where do you get $680 from? I pay $20 for 100MB on my GoPhone. Since I dont use it for anything but data that is the only thing I pay a month for it.
Old 04-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #12
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Pay As You Go had it listed for $0.01/KB.
Old 04-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #13
nobylspoon
Zealot

They offer features packages for data and messaging. The $20 data package gives you 100MB. They also offer a smaller package for about $5, not sure how many MB though.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:32 AM   #14
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmixell View Post
That's pretty awesome i'm about to get an ipod touch 2nd gen. just for these features! Its like having free cellphone service!
It's only like a "free cellphone service" to a small degree. Cellphone (mobile phone) coverage is in most circumstances far and away larger than that of accessible, free wifi, making the iPod Touch using Skype far less "mobile" than a cellphone.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #15
george-harrison
george-harrison began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgirl View Post
There are multiple differences between these 2 devices, with the most significant being the operating systems each use. You'd be better served by reading reviews of these devices to get a feel for what each can and can't do. Here's one for the Storm and here's one for the iPhone 3G. iPhone specs are here and Storm specs are here.

In short, the Storm is a more business-oriented device with excellent email capabilities and the ability to edit Microsoft Office documents with included software. Its multimedia capabilities aren't that great. The iPhone is not too far behind the Storm in terms of email now, but it's not nearly as popular with businesses as Blackberrys are (and my guess is it won't ever be, at least not for a long time). The iPhone is an excellent multimedia device for video and music, and there are over 25,000 3rd-party applications for it now. There is a new firmware version, 3.0, that will add much more functionality to the iPhone arriving this summer (it will be a free upgrade).
Thanks ,will seek more information on these 2 models.
george-harrison is offline   Reply With Quote